Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with windows movie maker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: help with windows movie maker Reply with quote

I need help with the Windows movie maker. I have a video camera and i taped me and my friends one day so i want to make it into a music video just for fun but the only problem is...i don't know how to get it on windows movie maker. I found a cord that hooks up a part of my computer to the camera but when i get on windows movie maker and click on "capture from video device" a pop up comes on my screen saying a "video capture device was not detected"

How do you get it detected or how can i get my footage on the computer so I can import it to Windows movie maker?

Thank you!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done that before, but I'm guessing press that button first THEN connect the device when it detects it... or you could just import the video somewhere else on your computer (easy to do, just take it from it when you open "My Computer", cut it out of there, and save it somewhere, THEN you can import it into WMM... but that may just be ramble. All I know is it works on my digital camera with a recording function

Good luck with that

Last edited by Hobbes on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Can you tell me how I get it on to "My Computer"?
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ebizmybef74,

I just read your post and since Hobbes has started you on the right track I will add my 2 cents.

Once you connect the vid camera to the PC you should see some hardware detected icon in the tray and once it is properly detected and installed you should automatically see an additional entry in "My Computer." Once you find this device you should be able to double click and it and then follow Hobbes' advice.

(I've had my share of helping sibling and parental units with such things.)

My lost music vids
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i feel extremely stupid because i still don't get it.

Is there something i need to do with the vid camera for the device to be detected because when i plugged it in...nothing happened.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you gave a little more detail in the equipment you are trying to hook up it might help us get an idea of what the problem is. I have an external video capture device hooked up to my PC via USB 2.0 and it in turn is connected to a VCR, DVD player and Cable TV.

Usually digital cameras have a cable that hooks up one end to the USB port of the PC and require you to set the camera to a PC mode. I don't have experience with a digital video camera but I imagine it is very similar. If you don't set it to this mode there is no signal going to the PC to detect.

What camera are you using and what kind of cord is it? Are you on PC or Mac? What sort of USB ports are you using 1.1 or 2.0?
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmmmm...not sure what all of that meant but i'll do my best.

-My vid camera is a Sony (can't get more specific than that because i don't know where on the camera it says what type it is) (and it's about 4 years old)
-don't know what type of cord it is
-Im on a PC
-don't know what a USB port is

This probably doesn't help much.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really but I can try to help.

So long as you know the cord you are attaching from the camera does plug into the PC without breaking anything physically that should be fine.

This is what I suggest.

STEP 1: Connect camera to AC/Power adapter and Power on to make sure stuff you want to upload is there in the camera. As in your vid you just shot.

STEP 2: Find the cord for the Camera to PC and then power off the Camera.

STEP 3: Connect cord to camera and then the other end to the PC.

STEP 4: Power up camera and use camera selector to choose Camera to PC link or something similar. Sometimes they just have a picture/avatar for a PC that you move the selector to.

STEP 5: Listen for the "bing-bong" that your WinXP has detected a new hardware device.

STEP 6: If it doesn't find an appropriate driver insert CDROM that came with the camera into PC CDROM drawer and direct the windows add hardware wizard to your CDROM drive.

STEP 7: You may have to reboot. Check the Sony manual for any other possible details to adding in software.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure 4 year old cameras will even work on a PC?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Last Soul
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with my Windows Movie Maker. More like a problem with my computer actually. My computer has to keep being restored, because it keeps messing up. The internet will stop working, the D drive doesn't work, yada yada. My mom just restored it again yesterday, and I added Windows Movie Maker to it that I had saved to a cd beforehand. When I double-clicked it to enter the program a gray box popped up saying moviemk.exe - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point WMCreateReader could not be located in the dynamic link library WMVCore.DLL. I don't know what's wrong with it. When we restored the computer last month I didn't have any problems with my Windows Movie Maker, and I had put it back on there using the cd I had saved it on. I'm wondering if the problem now has anything to do with me pressing the End Process button on the ctrl-alt-delete thing. I didn't mean to, I was just really frustrated because Windows Media Player wasn't working right. I really want to make a Lost video but I can't because of this problem. Does anyone know how I can fix it? Or am I going to be forced to restore my computer again? ( )

Sorry for such a long message. Big thanks to anyone who actually takes the time to read it.

Jack/Kate/Charlie/Claire Fan

*~The Last Soul~*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That is a good point. In my diarrhea of the mouth I didn't stop to think about compatibility to 2001 cameras. I *think* it should work so long as the cord can..and this is important CAN connect. None of this hammering in a square peg into a round hole stuff I emphasize don't break your PC!

That would be bad.

USB cord pics can be found by Googling "USB cable" then choose images.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey The Last Soul,

Could you start another thread with your problem as it would get kinda confusing to address multiple problems to multiple users in one thread. I get confuzzled easily. I am sure someone (even me) can give you some suggestions but it would be hard to keep track of which problem is being answered as I am sure if you are reading my answer you are already lost because I did this on purpose to show how putting a bunch of things in one place can get confusing even to the ones asking the question or answering it.

What was I saying.

I know you didn't mean to but it is also known as hijacking a thread. Which I'm sure you didn't mean to do.
The Last Soul
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about that. I just figured this was the thread to post your problems with Windows Movie Maker. I didn't want to make a new thread when there was one already about needing help. Sorry though. Some mods don't like it when people make new threads about already existing topics. Guess that's just what I'm used to.

Jack/Kate/Charlie/Claire Fan

*~The Last Soul~*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats do you mean by camera selector?
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem The Lost Soul. I just mixed up too easily and that is why I suggested it.

ebizmybef74 please look at the camera and find the silver label that has the serial number of the camera. On that same sticker (sometimes located in the battery compartment or on the underside of the camera) it should have the Sony make and model number. Please don't post the serial number as that wouldn't do any good for me or anyone else who wants to help you with this.

Once I know the model number of the camera I can check to see if this can connect to the PC and maybe grab the pdf manual and perhaps some screenshots to help you through the connection. If you're still interested in doing this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: