Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Movie Maker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Windows Movie Maker Reply with quote

First of all, my name is KC and I have never made a video before so I'm a complete newbie.

I was able to import a song that I'd like to use to Windows Movie Maker - but whenever I attempt to import a video clip, the program has an error and has to shut down, and on a couple of occasions, has made my whole computer shut down and not in the friendly "windows is shutting down now" way. In more of an abrupt, "here's a blue sreen with distorted writing that you can't read because GOODBYE!" sort of way.

This is not good! I imagine.

What am I doing wrong?
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of file is the video clip you are trying to import? Is it an .AVI, .WMV or maybe and .MPG? How big is the clip file? I use Premiere Pro so I don't know a lot about WMM but I know most programs will shut down and sometimes make your computer crash if you try to import a non-compatible file type.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technologically speaking... that ain't right

but yes, do tell those things there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What isn't right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clip in question is, in fact, an AVI. It's 10 minutes in length and about 19.1 MB. Only because I don't know how to make it shorter. Is there a way to cut clips in Windows Media Player or some other program? I only need about .5 of a second from it.

I've heard a lot of talk about the poor quality of Windows Movie Maker for making these videos, but unfortunately, that's all I've got right now.

If this doesn't work out for me, what program would you suggest for a beginner - in that it is easy to learn and reliable?
MarieWP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Movie Maker Reply with quote

Ulead's Video Studio is a really nice beginner program. Easy to use and makes videos with beautiful picture quality. Costs about $100 though. You can get a free trial at ulead.com
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny you should say that. I've always been a fan of Ulead's graphic programs. They're not astronomical in price as some are, and you can create pretty decent graphics with them if you learn to utilize the tools to your advantage. And me, I've always been a fan of the simplistic type designs anyway. I use an embarrassingly old version of their Photo Plus to this day.

Hopefully the same will be true for the video studio. I will definately check out that free trial.
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Studio is a great program to learn video making on. It was the program I started out on and I figure if I can learn how to use it anyone can LOL. It is very easy to use yet still makes quality videos. There are actually some aspects of it that I would have loved seeing in Premiere but no such luck. As for their graphics programs, when I first started making graphics on the computer MANY years ago I used PhotoImpact and it had some great stuff.

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What isn't right?

just what was happening there in WMM... never heard of that before >.< ANything that causes the entire system to malfnction is a serious error...
Could be a codec problem, might just be some glitch with WMM...

WMM isn't that bad a software for getting to learn about music videos. My first music video, and really, any video on WMM, was Beautiful Goodbye, a lost one, right here on the site >.<
Notice how there aren't any fades at all there? didn't know how to use them then LOL
WMM makes the vidding a simple process mostly... drag and drop clips and images, and then one they're in the project menu, you can pull from the sides of them to shorten them however much you wish (if you pull from the front it'll take the footage off the front, back: back)
Then there's also the splitting function, which is the button just under the preview window with the two deelees and the line trough it : like that I think... don't remember
anyway, that can be used to split any clip you're watching, including those in the project menu, and sound files.
If you're having touble with the .5 second thing, it might be beacuse WMM prevents you from splitting a clip within the first frames of it... don't ask me why >.<

WMM is VERY laggy, VERY susceptible to crashing, VERY low-quality when clipping, so you should always clip about .5/second before and after where you want to cut, and VERY low in neat effects and such. But it's easy to use and learn at least, and it's free. Give it another try if you can get that clip working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to get WMM to work. I don't know why! I downloaded the trial of Ulead and it's working just fine.

I learned a lot with it today, stuck home from work because of a snowstorm. I haven't messed with the fades yet - I don't know if I should or not for what I'm doing. The clips are so short - the video is only 1 minute 7 seconds long - I think fancy footwork would just be a distraction.

I just have one question. How could I enter some blank time at the end to put my name and the song and artist and such?
MarieWP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Video Studio Reply with quote

Been awhile since I've done this so hopefully my memory is right...
On the top menu, choose Title, then Edit. In the left hand column, click on Create Title. When you're done creating the title, I think you just drag it down to your timeline. The titles go in the T track. In the main track, you can either insert a color tile such as black (choose Edit then Color on the top menu), a still image of your choosing, or film footage (any of those go in your main track). Your title will appear over that color tile, image or footage in your video. Good luck with it!

btw, when you purchase the program, you get a lot of additional filters and transitions. But whether you purchase it or not, there are a couple of free patches/updates on the site you can download too.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow that was easy peasy lemon squeezie! Thanks for all of your help!

Would anybody be willing to look at my video before I submit it? I am going to submit it to the contest for March, but as this is my first video, I'm getting a little nervous about it! Ack!
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to, here is a link to the file. It's zipped: http://we-happy-few.net/downloads/GodIsDead.zip

I am still too unsure about it to submit it for the contest. Maybe I'll do it in the morning.
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nicely done KC! The picture quality is clear and sharp. I only saw a very brief section where the aspect ratio looked slightly off but I know that is very hard to control with limited material. The titles were well done and the music was very fitting. It set the mood very well. If this was your first attempt at a music video then I would say you are off to a good start. The editing was crisp too, no extra frames at all. Very nice indeed!

MarieWP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Contest video Reply with quote

I agree with what Barbi said. The editing is nice and clean and I really liked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: