Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip Theft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheree
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I just finished a montage which I have been working on for a month.

Now when I was first working on my montage I never knew of sites that had the whole episodes that you could download...so is it alright that half of my montage that I made has clips from other montages. I NEVER used a clip from someone that used an effect.
For example I would take a clip of Charlie sitting by the fire and staring...I got that clip from another montage but the clip in that montage wasn't using any effects. It was how it looked on the show. I added my own effects to it.
I would never have taken any clips from other peoples videos that had any effects done on them.
Is it still cool for me to submit my video...or do I have to do the first half of the video all over again...in the future I will not borrow clips from other montages...effects or no effects. I really didn't mean any harm...and was not trying to be lazy the clips that I took there was nothing fancy with them ...any effects in the video are by me.

Please let me know
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I can speak for all of us that that is not a problem at all. As long as no effects and such were used like that, and you just said it outright like this so we know you're honest. If anything, it's more of an inconvenience to you I'd imagine, since you had all that cutting from the clips, forcing you to cut at awkward times, and the picture quality of the clips must be really bad too If you feel that either of those is enough to remake it, then feel free to however. I'm eagerly awaiting judging time and welcome to the site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AnnieBW
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is a rampant problem in some vidding fandoms (like BTVS). Especially when you have a lot of new vidders who seem to feel that if it's out on the 'net, it's fair game. I'm glad that LVI is looking out for this. Thanks!

I mean, I don't even download episodes from anywhere - I capture my clips. In fact, I avoid P2P file sharing altogether, because 1) my husband is a computer security professional and he is adamant about not using P2P and 2) he spent an entire week cleaning spyware off of a friend's computer because she was downloading stuff.

Again, thanks for looking out for this!

- Annie, KOBA-TV Videos
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, i wouldn't mind if someone wold took soething from my vid, like a singe clip, I would mind if someone would take half of my work ^^;;;

hmm and I would never take a scene of anyody, but not beause I think it's bad, i's jut because the most things I'm downloading here just have a bad fullscreen quality, and I'm using the original clips, so it would look very strange

but I'm against taking ideas. Because i reall work hard on every scene and have to interpret the lyrics and try to figure out what I see in ths, so in every Vid is a bit of a soul from the Vidder
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, in the last few weeks, over TEN videos sent in have been recognised of clip theft and prosecuted. I' not going to state any names, but this has just got to stop. It's getting ridiculous! For one, these videos that steal clips all look pretty bad. The transitions leak through, and it looks as if the entire video is a bomb waiting to explode. you never know when the next scene is going to cut. I think that people need to know more about Clip Theft, because obviously it's either fewer people know about it being wrong, or it's becoming more and more convenient for them to use other's clips.
I'll admit it may seem silly that we will remove a video becasue of one tiny clip in a video used from another person, but like it or not, it's true. Intentionally taking another person's work for your own use without permission is unacceptable, I'm afraid. I'm sorry that there are few ways to obtain clips, but these standards must still be upheld. If finding clips is a problem, then please PM a council member or another old-timer LVI member, and one of us may be able to point you in the right direction to get clips.

The only way that Clip Theft will be accepted is if the person asks for permission from both the vidder and us, so that we may know that this is the case and not prosecute it. Though I highly recommend you ask before the video is created. I think you will find that most, if not all, of our members would be happy to help you get the clips you need, if you just ask nicely.

Anyway, please stop this from happening. Every time I see a video with it, I groan, because it not only means more work for us, but it meas we will have to remove a video that the vidder worked hard on, clips stolen or not.

If we continue to go down this road, I fear that the Lost fandom could very-well turn into the imfamous "Buffy" one. Lets not let that happen.

Expect a teaching plan - Hobbes style - in the future if this continues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy?

I've been noticing it a lot.

Recommend http://www.livejournal.com/community/lost_eps/ where I got all the eps (except Born To Run still haven't gotten it.) You just need to join LJ and then join this.

My waterark is awesome. Recommend watermakrs for everyone!
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potter, I went to that LJ webiste, signed up and everything. But all the episodes are expired on YSI.

Banner: Shinythings
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wait til someone posts an ep
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't have time to wait.

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... wait
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I was looking at the website and the most recent post I can find is from January.......What am I doing wrong?

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah,, you need to look at lost_eps user info and I THINK you have to become a member... I think
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did become a member. but i'll try again.

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the community.
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i get it!

hehehehe thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: