Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Anti-Request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: An Anti-Request Reply with quote

I understand it's difficult to be original for a show that's not even finished its first season and also when there's this many videos that are around, but there are many many many things that regular viewers, such as myself, I'm sure have grown tired of seeing, and I simply want to post one of them here that comes to mind. I'm making it an anti-request. I'd like to never see it again.

Many songs have a sort of intro feel and then at some point into it they really "kick-in" and it seems that often times people decide to use the clip from the plane crash where people rise out of their seats and hit the roof of the plane. I've seen it A LOT on these videos. Can we end it? Please!!

I apologize for even posting this; I feel like a jackass. But there are many things in these Lost videos that are becoming.... cliche. I'm sorry if you're one of the folks I'm addressing this to. It's nothing personal against your video, just the masses as a whole.

Thank you. I'll shut up now.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee hee hee opps..... that about describes maybe 3 or 4 of my videos just with that example LOL

Yeah, you're kinda right with it, there are a lot of cliche scenes in here, but you'll get used to them there's not THAT much footage in lost, and most of it is talking scenes, swhich never turn out well in a video, so there's a limited choice. And some scenes are just so damn perfect ;( LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a valid point. I'll admit Sinister Rouge used the plane crash scenes - but it was kind of the whole idea of that vid. you know?

My opinion is that if these used-a-million-times scenes actually have meaning in the vid they are fine. Just don't use them for no reason other than they look cool. (...or used to look cool) Originality is key for any vid.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the big E.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
Originality is key for any vid.

With the judging growing harder everyday it's also the key to getting your video listed on LVI. I've seen so many generic "repeat" videos over the last three months and they are unfortunately the ones that usually get turned away. Even some of the good ones have had a tough run in the council with some of us going back and forth with our votes. The "repeat" videos almost always lose out to videos with more original content.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And may I add that I may have said once that giving a little bit of all the survivors, or adding a little more than just the shippers can be good, but try, try, try, not to turn it into an "other" video! If it's starting to go that direction, and you haven't seen the character you're supposedly vidding in a while, you run a big risk. Unless there's something EXTREMELY good, or VERY original, it'll be very hard to get in when it's faced with the "Other" section.
For example: "Alert Status Red", though it may be by one of the best vidders, with some awesome talent and clean editing, was a definite iffy to get in, mostly just because of it's genericness of a look over the survivors. Sure, we'll let a few through most of the time, but tough competition.

Yikes! There are 27 vids in "Other" already?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what hobbes says is very true. Try to give your vid a focus. If not on a character than maybe two characters (doesn't have to be a Shipper vid lol) or a theme.

Also, J/K, C/C vids are tired and have a very hard time getting in. If your vid doesn't have a single scene that hasn't already been vidded prepare yourself for rejection.

On the other hand, a vid of a character that has NO vids on LVI has a much better chance of passing. Simpley because they are very original!

Original.

Original.

Original.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That goes for K/S vids too ppl.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
That goes for K/S vids too ppl.

I don't know I haven't gotten tired of those yet . But god help me if I see another C/C fluff right now I may finally lose my mind. And that's sad since I love the C/C and J/K pairings. But watch nearly a hundred videos and some of them really do start to look the same.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"finally"?
Dio
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... my next challenge was going to be an action packed video (which would have included the plane crash...) maybe I'll do it and keep it for my own viewing.

I did a Boone/Shannon video because I noticed there were no videos for them in your collection. I'm not too sure on it though -- and unfortunately lack the confidence to let other people see it!!
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Boone/Shannon video too last week but it's posted on my own website.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dio
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeep. Yours is better, just watched it -- love the song too!

But I have just finished making a Kate/Sun vid. Not a slash one, just one focusing on their friendship and pain... oh, how I love pain! I might submit it to the site.
DreamVision
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think a Sun/Kate one would be interesting! Do you have it posted somewhere?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dio
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just uploading it as I type! I'm gonna submit it to the site as soon as it's done... but I'll post the link here as well for ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: