Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Breathe Me" by cappy (The 100)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms O – Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: "Breathe Me" by cappy (The 100) Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Breathe Me" 07-10-2016
Jasper Jordan fanvid. A study of a teenager suffering with severe PTSD and depression in a post-nuclear world.
Fandom: The 100
Song: Breathe Me by Aiden Grimshaw
Vidder: cappy
Length: 3.40 (372MB MP4)

Warning: Contains Mature Themes

Link(s): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8G2PUy3G8k
https://vimeo.com/173274763

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

That was SO good! It's so nice to see a tribute to Jasper that tackles his mental health struggles, showing it for what it is. So many people are impatient with Jasper but they don't understand that he's not just sulky or grim. These are real, important issues that he's understandably struggling with, and I love the show all the more for being honest about that. Great video!!!
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Thank you, elora! I have a lot of time for Jasper (obviously) but I can understand other fans impatience. Jasper's IS a very honest portrayal of mental illness and the reality is that PTSD symptoms can be very ugly, frustrating and alienating. So I wanted to be honest about that while also humanizing Jasper and showing how, beyond his condition, he's a kid with a big heart who wants to help.
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

This was truly amazing. I haven't always been an overly huge fan of Jasper, and I did have my issues with him this season, but only because Clarke (tied of course with Bellamy & Lexa) is my favorite character, and I just didn't like how he kept hurting her. I mean, I get why he did it, since he blames her for killing Maya, but he should at least be able to see that they didn't have a choice anymore, not with the people of Mount Weather. However, this showed exactly why Jasper is in so much pain, and why he's lashing out so badly, and hurting even those that he does care about, like Monty. I hope in season four they can build toward rebuilding Jasper's faith in his people, and his faith in himself. The thing with this show is that it shows how remarkable even a group of teenagers with behavior problems can come together and overcome amazing things, despite the fact that each and every character on this show should have terrible PTSD. Especially Clarke, after everything she has done and everything she has seen, and losing Lexa, I really thought we'd see her break more than we did. Perhaps that will be season four's great problem is that Clarke just breaks down from everything.
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Thank you for such a thoughtful comment, tjmack!

Clarke is one of my faves too (tied with Jasper, Raven and Murphy for me) and yes, her scenes with Jasper in S3 were so painful. But I'd say remember that Jasper had a very different experience of Mount Weather. He bonded with Maya and the other rebels and even with Dante. He saw the decent side of those people more so than Clarke ever did. I think it's important that at least one character remain angry and unforgiving over their whole civilization being wiped out. There were a lot of people killed by that radiation who didn't deserve to die. Maya's death in particular is so difficult to reconcile, not only because Jasper loved her but because the entire rescue plan would've failed without Maya's help. So while I agree that Clarke had no other choice if she wanted to save her people, it was still genocide and I don't think Clarke will ever forgive herself for that, especially killing people who helped them. But there was no way to "save everyone", even though Jasper deluded himself into thinking he could've ended things by killing Cage. I hope Jasper is letting go of that delusion now and while Jasper is never going to condone the choice that killed Maya, I think he knows it was a choice that Clarke, Bellamy and Monty were forced into making. And, like you say, hopefully he'll find faith in his own people again in S4.

Clarke having a breakdown would be a terrifying way to begin S4 *shudders* I think the only reason Clarke hasn't broken down already is because she's been carrying the flame. There's a sense that Lexa's spirit is still with her, keeping her strong. But who knows what Clarke is going to face when she tells everyone who she's pulled out of ALIE's artificial heaven that there's another apocalypse coming in a few months (*sigh* poor Clarke. There's just no let up for this girl).

Last edited by cappy on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

cappy wrote:
Thank you for such a thoughtful comment, tjmack!

Clarke is one of my faves too (tied with Jasper, Raven and Murphy) and yes, her scenes with Jasper in S3 were so painful. But I'd say remember that Jasper had a very different experience of Mount Weather. He bonded with Maya and the other rebels and even with Dante. He saw the decent side of those people more so than Clarke ever did. I think it's important that at least one character remain angry and unforgiving over their whole civilization being wiped out. There were a lot of people killed by that radiation who didn't deserve to die. Maya's death in particular is so difficult to reconcile, not only because Jasper loved her but because the entire rescue plan would've failed without Maya's help. So while I agree that Clarke had no other choice if she wanted to save her people, it was still genocide and I don't think Clarke will ever forgive herself for that, especially killing people who helped them. But there was no way to "save everyone", even though Jasper deluded himself into thinking he could've ended things by killing Cage. I hope Jasper is letting go of that delusion now and while Jasper is never going to condone the choice that killed Maya, I think he knows it was a choice that Clarke, Bellamy and Monty were forced into making. And, like you say, hopefully he'll find faith in his own people again in S4.

Clarke having a breakdown would be a terrifying way to begin S4 *shudders* I think the only reason Clarke hasn't broken down already is because she's been carrying the flame. There's a sense that Lexa's spirit is still with her, keeping her strong. But who knows what Clarke is going to face when she tells everyone who she's pulled out of ALIE's artificial heaven that there's another apocalypse coming in a few months (*sigh* poor Clarke. There's just no let up for this girl).

I agree, the decision to kill every at Mount Weather wasn't something that I necessarily agreed with, because like you said, there were people there that didn't deserve to die, but again, they didn't have a choice. At the time that Clarke and Bellamy pulled the lever, Clarke was watching her mother die, and the only thing she could think about was she couldn't let these people take out her entire group. I mean, what it really boiled down to, and I think that this is something that should be explored more, especially with Jasper's character, is that one group was not coming out of Mount Weather alive, and Clarke made sure that it was her group that lived. I know it was a hard choice for her, that was why she took off at the end of the season, and I do understand why Jasper was/is still angry with her. I even understand why Bellamy was upset with her. She wasn't the only one that pulled that lever, and he needed her to help him through that time, and she wasn't there for him.

I didn't think about that, that she feels that Lexa's spirit is making her stronger, but I think that her strength will run out some point this season, I really thought she'd lose it after Lexa's death, just because she has been surrounded by so much death and you can tell that Clarke isn't the type of person that falls in love easily. I feel that she truly has loved two people on this show, Finn & Lexa, and both are dead (though one of those are at her own hand), and I honestly think that we'll see a new side to Clarke, one that maybe doesn't let new people in so easily ... because of all the loss she has gone through.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the time that Clarke and Bellamy pulled the lever, Clarke was watching her mother die

This is what is so incredible about that lever scene. I'm a person who is 100% against the use of WMDs because I don't think indiscriminate mass killings can ever be justified...but, if my mother was being tortured to death on a screen in front of me and pulling that lever was the only way to stop it, I really don't know what I'd do. I respect Clarke for making the hard choices even when the choices she makes are horrifying. Jasper can't do that. He's too emotional and breaks under pressure. He couldn't have saved everyone at Mt Weather but he would've died trying.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Great character study! I loved the song choice, especially going with a male singer, it was so perfect. You really captured the emotion and his struggles. Your lyric use was fantastic. Loved the "be my friend" and the "wrap me up" parts the best. I really enjoyed this. I hadn't seen a vid about this character before.
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

3852 wrote:
Great character study! I loved the song choice, especially going with a male singer, it was so perfect. You really captured the emotion and his struggles. Your lyric use was fantastic. Loved the "be my friend" and the "wrap me up" parts the best. I really enjoyed this. I hadn't seen a vid about this character before.

Thanks! I went looking for a male vocal on this one so it could feel more like the lyrics represented Jasper's POV. There have been a lot of great Jasper character studies coming out since S3 ended, most of them focused on his PTSD but I wanted to show his other qualities too. Like how he is brave and funny and so desperately protective of his friends.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Great vid! This is a really good character study of Jasper
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Beautiful video, cappy! I liked the juxtaposition of Jasper's happy scenes with his darker scenes. Really shows the changes in his character and his mental health.
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Jemmz and Uruviel. You know it still really means a lot to me to get a Council Pick from LVI.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

cappy, that was a truly breath-taking character study! You covered so many aspects of this troubled, yet brave and multi-layered character! Love your song choice, especially since this is a male version, and I (obviously) enjoyed all the Jonty & Jasper/Raven scenes. Excellent work!
cappy
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Breathe Me by cappy Reply with quote

250 wrote:
cappy, that was a truly breath-taking character study! You covered so many aspects of this troubled, yet brave and multi-layered character! Love your song choice, especially since this is a male version, and I (obviously) enjoyed all the Jonty & Jasper/Raven scenes. Excellent work!

Thanks Kaja. Finding a decent male version of 'Breathe Me' kinda forced me into doing this vid. The song choice was too perfect for Jasper not to follow through.

Ooh, you're a Jasper/Raven fan? I still can't decide whether I want those two to be really close friends or something more. I mean, I am kind of desperate for Jasper to lose his V-card before the writers try to kill him off again. And Octavia is murderous and insane right now so Jasper/Raven seems like the best option, ya know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms O – Z All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: