Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I Need Windows 10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Do I Need Windows 10? Reply with quote

Long story short had a virus got it cleaned up and my computer upraded to windows 10 on it's own I didn't like it because it was SUCH a leap from windows 7. My computer was going haywire again so I took it to someone more legit to fix it, they apologized and told me they were going to have to put windows 7 back on, I thanked them and informed them that I didn't like windows 10; and was glad to go back.

Yesterday I got a message that I couldn't x out of telling me when I wanted to upgrade to windows 10, not 'do you want to'. So I put May 24th, so that I could look into how to get out of it.

Today I walked in to it upgrading on it's own. This windows 10 business is getting me frustrated. I shouldn't have to upgrade if I don't want to...

but bottom line, do I need to upgrade or am I fine with windows 7?
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I'm not the only one who doesn't want to be forced into Windows 10.

I have Windows 8...not a fan...and my computer regularly tries to upgrade itself. I've gotten the messages too giving me a date when it says it is going to upgrade. It depends on the message you get. Some just say you can set up a time and as long as you don't click anything but X, it won't do anything. Now a couple days ago, I got a double message, one telling me I would be updated on the 18th and then a second message congratulating me on setting the date. I actually totally disconnected from the internet just to make sure it couldn't do the update.

I did some research about how to cancel the upgrade. I right clicked on the windows 10 icon in my tool bar and clicked the link about checking the status of my update. From there I canceled the update. I'm still using Windows 8 today.

I don't know if you need Windows10, but in my opinion if you like Windows 7 ( I know I really liked that system.) then I would keep canceling updates and trying to hold onto it. I'm planning to fight to keep Windows 8 as long as I can.

You can also change your update settings to give yourself more control over what is updated and try to slow them down from doing ambush upgrades.

I really don't like the way they are handling Windows 10. It feel like a virus, the way it is forced on you. It just makes me want it all the less.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, you should be fine with Windows 7, I'd still have Windows 7 but my laptop died and I had to buy a new one that came with windows 10 already on it.

It is a big leap, but if you are fairly good with computers, or even just enjoy tinkering with programs and stuff, it doesn't take too awful long to get used to it.

The thing I like most about windows 10 is you can download apps to use on your laptop from the windows store, so it's like having a laptop and a phone all in the same device.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Im1oftheOceanic6"]Yay, I'm not the only one who doesn't want to be forced into Windows 10.

I am not a fan at all. Personally unless it's something that has to happen (I don't think it does) people shouldn't be forced to upgrade or download something that people don't want.

I still have windows 7, and I like it a lot. I don't like massive change when it comes to computers. My computer forced an upgrade on me today, but luckily I got out of it. See, the only option I have is to set a time and there's no X. I'm wondering if it's because I have windows 7. Oh that's a great idea!! I didn't even think about turning my internet off. That's a great idea. Thanks.

I did some research about how to cancel the upgrade. I right clicked on the windows 10 icon in my tool bar and clicked the link about checking the status of my update. From there I canceled the update. I'm still using Windows 8 today.

I just chatted with Microsoft and they told me that Microsoft is going to continue sending secruity updates for windows 7 until January 1, 2020, becuase my uncle who's an IT guy and he told me that if they didn't update secruity then I should go with windows 10, glad to know they're going to continue it until 2020.

I'm afraid if do that with my updates I'll mess it up for the updates I really need.

It does feel like a virus. They're acting like google with just forcing this change on people.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjmack1986 wrote:
In all honesty, you should be fine with Windows 7, I'd still have Windows 7 but my laptop died and I had to buy a new one that came with windows 10 already on it.

It is a big leap, but if you are fairly good with computers, or even just enjoy tinkering with programs and stuff, it doesn't take too awful long to get used to it.

The thing I like most about windows 10 is you can download apps to use on your laptop from the windows store, so it's like having a laptop and a phone all in the same device.

lol that's actually why I didn't like it. Different strokes. I don't really share my phone with my computer; and I did't like the apps on my computer, haha.

It's a big leap for me. It's so different than windows 7.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not a fan at all. Personally unless it's something that has to happen (I don't think it does) people shouldn't be forced to upgrade or download something that people don't want.

I agree. I liked Windows 7, I can tolerate 8 (using the Windows 7 desktop) so I have no desire to upgrade. You should have a choice if you want to upgrade. I have noticed the pop-ups to upgrade have been becoming more aggressive.

Quote:
I still have windows 7, and I like it a lot. I don't like massive change when it comes to computers. My computer forced an upgrade on me today, but luckily I got out of it. See, the only option I have is to set a time and there's no X. I'm wondering if it's because I have windows 7. Oh that's a great idea!! I didn't even think about turning my internet off. That's a great idea. Thanks.

I don't like change with computers either. I wanted to get another Windows 7 when my acer had memories issues. But they had already gone to 8. I still have 7 on that computer and I find there are certain things that are easier to accomplish with it. I mostly use my 8, but I do alternate between the two depending on the task. My 7 isn't as aggressive about the updates, but maybe just because I don't use it as often, it only appears that way.

My theory is that if you have to set a time for it to update, but it can't connect to the internet, you should miss the upgrade.

You might find this article helpful. It discusses some of their tactics in trying to make you upgrade and how to opt out.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3074339/windows/how-to-escape-that-forced-windows-10-upgrade-you-mistakenly-agreed-to.html

Do you ever notice your computer get sort of weird acting, slow, or something crashes right before one of those Windows 10 pop-ups happens? I thought it was just coincidence the first few times, but it has happened way too many times now. I can almost tell when I'm going to get a pop-up by the weird behavior my computer starts having.

Quote:
I just chatted with Microsoft and they told me that Microsoft is going to continue sending secruity updates for windows 7 until January 1, 2020, becuase my uncle who's an IT guy and he told me that if they didn't update secruity then I should go with windows 10, glad to know they're going to continue it until 2020.

That's great to know. 4 years is adequate time to get the useful life out of the computer and be ready to upgrade. They should be up to Windows 13 or 14 by then. LOL

Quote:
I'm afraid if do that with my updates I'll mess it up for the updates I really need

I turn mine on and off of automatic updates. I switch it to let me decide when it seems especially aggressive about Windows 10. On mine when I do have automatic updates turned off, it gives me a message on my login page telling me I have updates waiting for me. So it does try to make sure you know they are there.

Quote:
It does feel like a virus. They're acting like google with just forcing this change on people.

Yeah, I didn't like the way Google went about stuff like Google+. I'm a stubborn person. I like to decide things for myself, not have them forced on me. I think Google and Microsoft have upset a lot of people with their tactics.

For me this microsoft 10 thing would be fine if it just offered you a chance for a free upgrade, but the way it tries to update itself and install itself is very underhanded. For me its like with how aggressive they are, it makes me feel less confident in the product. Like is it so bad they have to give it away for free to get anyone to take it?

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just came across an article about this in case you were interested

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: