Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Suggestions! Reply with quote

We'd love to hear from you guys on what you would think would improve the site! We're always discussing stuff back there in the council forums, but one of the issues is often "how would everyone else react to that idea?"
This gives us a chance to see what's working and what isn't, and maybe someone will think up some really cool idea that we will really like!
So feel free to post any suggestions, no matter how small they are, problems, or anything that could work a little better if we did something to improve it. We're not the ones going around on the site, downloading videos. Tell us your ideas!

OR ELSE!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should add another section in the form that asks people to post what program they used to make the vid and that would get posted along with all the other info (running time, song title/artist, MBs, description, etc.)

That is something that I think would be beneficial to everyone, not to mention the council.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUR OWN MEMBER ACCOUNTS
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, with all due respect, I have seen you suggest this before, but I really think you are asking for something that is unreasonable at this point. These aren't professionals, they're young people and students just like you and me. Relax with your huge letters. Sheesh!

Sorry if I sound mean, but I think this has been discussed before in another location. Correct me if I'm wrong though. It almost seems like you're suggesting that Lostcalier and Enchirito haven't done enough for the vidders as it is. They are amazing and deserve to be treated as such. Maybe instead of giant-lettering them you could try to come up with a plan (coding, logistics, etc.) that would make the vidders getting member accounts something possible instead of just this huge demand that you're making without a word about "How."
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I think you should add another section in the form that asks people to post what program they used to make the vid and that would get posted along with all the other info (running time, song title/artist, MBs, description, etc.)

That is something that I think would be beneficial to everyone, not to mention the council.

I think that is a really good idea. I'll talk with Enchirito and see if something like that can be done. I'm already planning on taking a suggestion to him to add an addition category in the videos section so it'll be a perfect time to run this past him as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I honestly think this is a good idea and something that would ultimately help us in the council out in the long run. But unfortunately we have to take in to account the safety of the site. It took us several weeks to come back to full capacity after the hack. I would love to see members have the option to work with there own profiles but ultimately my number one priority is keeping the site as safe as possible so that we can keep it up and allow it to keep offering all of you a place to showcase your videos. I wish I could do more for this request but Enchirito has briefed me on the security concerns as well as the time it would take. Time which may mean the site would be shut down to submissions so E could work on the site and make the changes. If ever the time comes for us to do a big sweep of upgrades then I promise you this will be at the top of the list.

In all reality KC is right. Enchirito has a full time job that takes up the mass majority of his time (by the way for all those that wonder he has a degree in computer science and works around computers all day so he's about as professional as they come) and I'm a full time college student in my senior year working on a film/TV production degree and working a part-time job. We have an incredible council filled with some of the best people I've ever had the privelage to work with working with us on this site but we can only do so much.

We try our best to accomidate everyones requests because, as any council member will tell you, I try and give everyone an equal say on things. I own the site but I by no means get the last say. Hell I have had more ideas then I can possible tell you turned down...lol. In the end everything we do and every decision we make comes back to what is best for LVI and our members and visitors. That's why we have a council on the site to provide a checks and balances kind of system. For now what is deemed to be the best is to keep the site safe. But again you have my word that the next time we do upgrades on the site this WILL be on the top of the list. You'll just have to be patient and wait till that time comes.

However, like KC said if you can come up with a solid plan and submit it to the council I will gladly run it by Enchirito because as I said I think it's a good idea but right now it has a lot of things weighing against it.

KC, thank you for your support and the kind words. Every now and then it's nice to be refered to as "amazing"...lol. In all seriousness we all work really hard for LVI, especially E, and reading stuff like that is great and I will definitely direct E to read your post.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
Paul, with all due respect, I have seen you suggest this before, but I really think you are asking for something that is unreasonable at this point. These aren't professionals, they're young people and students just like you and me. Relax with your huge letters. Sheesh!

Sorry if I sound mean, but I think this has been discussed before in another location. Correct me if I'm wrong though. It almost seems like you're suggesting that Lostcalier and Enchirito haven't done enough for the vidders as it is. They are amazing and deserve to be treated as such. Maybe instead of giant-lettering them you could try to come up with a plan (coding, logistics, etc.) that would make the vidders getting member accounts something possible instead of just this huge demand that you're making without a word about "How."

Well it is obvious to me maybe I am suggesting not enough is being done what's wrong with that? Is this a fascist site or something?

sorry I'm in a grumpy mood this morning My friend decided to switch to the Munners on LF cause its more 'fun' over at their forum

LC looks like you need more staff glad to see you are looking for a webmaster.

Last edited by Polarbear on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me don't like when Paul is grumpy
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me no like Paul when he is drunk

Because they have more fun? JUN4EVER
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I annoyed anybody especially you KC. I don't have any knowledge of web coding so I wouldn't be any help there but that doesn't mean I can't suggest something I have no idea how to do lol

A lot of sites I visit have this in place so it can't be mammothly hard you must just need the people to do it I presume. I'm used to having a member account at sites so it is really frustrating not to be able to mess with any of my settings

By the way just donated 5 dollars to your site I hope this helps in some small way and you dont buy a cheeseburger with it or something.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, any changes you want to make to your bio just have to be sent in to Me, LC, or E and we'll make the change for you. I would love to have this account feature here too, much less work for us But I can't imagine a way that Enchirito, as great a webmaster as he is, could make a sucessful login function to the site that is completely workable and secure at the same time. Most sites that use it use templates These forums are a template. It's a scary thing to mess with access to a site in a new way like this idea, at least to my knowledge. I'll talk to E and see just how feasible this could be, but if it's something potentially dangerous and/or hard to do then there's very little chance we will continue with it. Small inconvenience or not, I'd much rather have LVI running safely than the login system, as cool as that may be

Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes is right, almost any site you see with member accounts is using a Content Management System (CMS) tool of some sort. LVI is different in that it's 100% original code, with the exception of the phpBB boards.

There is nothing wrong with using a CMS tool. But, one of their downsides is that with a CMS you are restricted by how that CMS does things and your site usually ends up looking pretty template-y. Of course the upside is that you have a complete user management system built in.

Changing the site over to a CMS like PHP-Fusion or XOOPS is an option that LVI may consider in the future, but for right now, I think our current system fits our needs well.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think you guys do a great job this is just a pet peeve of mine about the site. It really bugs me! lol
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're welcome lostcalier. I didn't mean to stir up anything, it's just that I don't feel like Paul understood what he was asking for and how hard you guys work for the site. You're a very small group who does a considerable amount.

And a clarification I never meant to say that you guys aren't professionally trained, I just meant that the site is a recreational site and not a professional site. You guys do this crap for us in your SPARE time and what we get out of that is extraordinary.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.. i have a suggestion inspired by Taru. What about us being able to edit vids that have jus been submitted. Is that possible? Like say if the link is down we could change it. Can you not make new entries editable just by the person who entered?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: