Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Contest Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: New Contest Ideas Reply with quote

Thanks for voting in our contest poll! According to you, the main factor in deciding if you will or will not enter a contest is the theme. So now, we'd like to hear your ideas for a theme! Do you have an idea for a contest you'd like to participate in? Is there a contest we have done in the past that you would like to see a reboot of? Please post your ideas/thoughts/opinions here! Don't be shy, if you have an idea that you think may be too "out there", or too difficult, post it anyway! The more creative, the better!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few ideas for contests:

-I think the July 2005 contest that featured Lost themed commercials was cool. I would like to see a reboot of that contest, with a twist. I think it would be fun to do ads for fictional products from various fandoms. This could be anything from an ad about Lost's Apollo bars to an ad for The Office's Dunder Mifflin paper products. It could be any ad for a product that either does not exist or was created based on the fandom.

-Another idea is a trailer for a show within a show. What this means is that instead of doing say a Lost trailer, you do a trailer for Expose, because that was the fictional show within the show. Some other examples would be Days of Our Lives for Friends (Joey was on a fictionalized version of Days), Michael's movie on The Office, etc. The show within the show can be real or fictional, just as long as it was a significant plot point or episode.

-A contest where we focus on the location as the main character. So many fandoms have great locations that can almost overshadow their human cast. In this contest you would show what makes the location such a special part of the show. Some examples would be The enchanted forest/Fairytale land for Once, The island for Lost, Middle earth for the LOTR/Hobit series etc. It can even be real places like New York or Los Angeles, etc just as long as you can show what makes it special to your particular fandom.

-I always love the Christmas/Holiday contest. Actually my favorite contest of the year. I especially love the ones where we have to use holiday music and make an upbeat vid. I really enjoy the contests where we would use non-Christmas or holiday scenes and have to manip them to seem festive. The more manips and effects the better with this one. AU's and crossovers could also be encouraged.

-Story without words. This contest would have us use an instrumental song. As an added challenge no VO's would be allowed. You have to use the music and the different tempos and beats and musical effects to tell the story. What the actual story you chose to tell, whether it is happy or sad or action packed, could be left up to the vidder. But it should tell some kind of story and not be just a random assortment of scenes that fit the music.

These are a few ideas I have had. I'll probably be back with some more ideas later.

If any of these don't make sense or you need further explanation, just let me know.

The Council always comes up with fun and interesting challenges but I think this is cool to let the members contribute ideas for contests.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a contest with the theme of everybody kidding to one song although we could twist it and allow different covers of it to be used as some covers completely change the tone of the song.

A foreign language theme where either the show/movie/song used has to be mainly non-english as there's such a great selection of media that often gets overlooked for being in a different language.

I'll think about this a little more and report back with any ideas.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
I'd love a contest with the theme of everybody kidding to one song although we could twist it and allow different covers of it to be used as some covers completely change the tone of the song.

A foreign language theme where either the show/movie/song used has to be mainly non-english as there's such a great selection of media that often gets overlooked for being in a different language.

I'll think about this a little more and report back with any ideas.

Cool ideas.

That sounds neat everyone viding to a version of the same song. It would be interesting to see how different people interpret the same song. I think if we did that one, we should maybe vote on what song we all want to vid to.

The foreign language one is neat too. I especially like the idea of viding to a song in another language.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like contests that are original and make us think original. The contest where we got to make a an original character that was a survivor on Oceanic Flight 815 is one of my favorites.

I love trailer contests and I love contests where we get to merge shows or make up a character or use an OC.

I agree that we need to vote on the same song because not everyone would have the song. I use Itune cards and am picky with what I download with them.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Macaila, Becca, and Brooke!!! Those are great ideas!

Keep them coming!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple more ideas:

-A contest where we use a song that refers to some kind of weather. There are so many "rain" songs. Any song with a title, sound , or lyrics that refer to weather. Some examples: What if the Storm ends (The Lightning Strike) Snow patrol, Rain- Breaking Benjamin, Hello Hurricane- Switchfoot, etc. Instrumentals would also be acceptable if they feature certain weather related sounds like falling rain or thunder, etc.

-For a round contest we could pick one character or couple and each time we explore one or two sides of them. Maybe one is about love, one about happiness, sadness, angst, etc. Basically in depth character studies each time that focus on a certain side of them.

-Reinterpreting a children's song, rhyme, or lullaby for an adult character. The lullaby part would maybe need to be a little bit limiting because for example the song Lullaby by Nickelback is already an "adult" song so it shouldn't be applicable even thought it is called Lullaby. However a song like Lullaby by Arco is perfectly acceptable.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of those, Macaila!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Heather, glad you liked them.

Here is another idea:
A video where we have to show the parallels/similarities between two shows or two characters or ships from different fandoms.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A round idea would be moods.

Love, hate, happy, mad, sad.

Or even the stages of denial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: