Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to capitalize on beat use without switching clips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: How to capitalize on beat use without switching clips Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm working on a new Jack vid soon (and a Jawyer vid), and the songs have a lot of great, dramatic beats toward the climax. I know using a lot of short clips can be a great way to capitalize on that, but I will run out of clips if I do that exclusively.

Can you think of other ways--maybe color? Switching to b&w every other clip? A flash of light in the background, maybe as an overlay on every other "beat" to highlight the beat even though it's the same clip?

I hope this makes sense...thanks for any suggestions!

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're working on a new Jack and Jawyer vid. It's been so long since I've seen a Jawyer vid. I loved the bromance between them. Looking forward to seeing those.

As far as beat use, I think it depends a little bit on how fast your beats are. If you have really fast beats you have to be careful using flashes because you can end up with a strobe effect. I have used a subtle flash behind clips before. If I remember correctly I ran the clip and just cut it on the beats and used the flash transition to connect to back together. You couldn't tell the clip had been cut but it had a little flash on the beat. It was a slower beat though.

I have used color as well on the beats. I did that in my Haunted vid, using red to accentuate certain beats while leaving the rest muted color.

Another thing I have done with beats is use the lens flare effect. I would have it build over the clip so when it grew all the way it was on the beat.

You had mentioned short clips, a variation on this is to change perspective on the beat. Using Jawyer as an example: You'd have Jack, then Sawyer, then back to Jack, then maybe a far shot of them both. This works even if you have limited clips or the scenes are short because you can always zoom in on clips to make them appear to be another piece.

I hope those ideas all make sense. I'm not sure I did a very good job of explaining them.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all such great ideas, Macaila! You're right about the strobe effect...actually, the beats of the songs are quite quick, so that's exactly what would happen. Lens flare or color-switching might be better (I'll have to rewatch your Haunted vid to see what you mean). Otherwise it'd be too blinding, I think. I love lens flare anyway. It's so artsy!

I'll play around with these ideas once I start the vid. I know exactly what you mean about switching to clips (Jack, then Sawyer, etc.) but this one song has a TON of fast beat sections, and I just don't think I'll be able to find enough clips to use...especially for Jawyer. On the one hand, there are a good amount of scenes with them, but when you look at a 5 minute song...especially with fast beats that require switching clips...I might run out! haha

Thanks so much, I'll play around with these!

Ninu
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the one hand, there are a good amount of scenes with them, but when you look at a 5 minute song...especially with fast beats that require switching clips...I might run out! haha

If you know LOST very well, you can also use scenes when they both are alone (like, for example, Sawyer reading a letter and then cut to Jack, sitting alone on the beach and thinking ) depends on where are you gonna go with the storyline in the video You could also use scenes when they are with someone else and crop out that person (something we do in AU vids ).

For the fast beat use question, you can also take a longer shot on one person, cut it to smaller pieces and use a little fade ins and fade outs in places, where beat requires that Or maybe sparkles (you can find lots of them on YouTube )

Good luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: