Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about flash drives/external hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Question about flash drives/external hard drives Reply with quote

I use my flash drives quite a lot when I write stories and I use my external drive for pictures and clips. I've always just when I'm finished using it closed out of all the programs and pulled the device or device cable from the USB. I've never had a problem.

So I was wondering by doing this am I potentially going to damage my devices? I've heard you can corrupt the files, but I've yet to have such a problem.
Should I be using the "safely eject hardware" button? Is that safer?

Or does it really make any difference as long as you've closed all open files and programs before removing the device?

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you can damage you're files doing it that way. (though sometimes it cannot be helped.) It would be better to do the "safely eject hardware" thing then to just pull it out.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your very lucky that your external hard drive hasn't become damaged yet. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say it's risky unplugging it while the hard drive is still on. At the very least, turn your external off or unplug it from the power supply before you unplug it from the computer. Often my laptop tells me it can't eject because it's in use (even though it's not), so I have to unplug it from the power supply instead.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tammy and Jemma for the advice.

I'm going to try and make it a habit to start using the "safely eject" button.

Yeah, I think I have gotten lucky with the hard drive. I use a portable one so I don't have to plug it into a power source, just the computer. Thinking back I did have one that went crazy on me, it turned itself on and off while in use. I thought it was just old or the computer I had at the time acting up. But I probably did damage it and didn't even realize it.

I'm going to try and be a lot more careful with them going forward so I can stop any further damage.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting an external drive for my photos and for my Lost clips/vids, so I'm glad to see this...I wouldn't have known! I hope your drive remains safe, Macaila.

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarlett_106 wrote:
I'm thinking of getting an external drive for my photos and for my Lost clips/vids, so I'm glad to see this...I wouldn't have known! I hope your drive remains safe, Macaila.

I find these work really well for holding all your media. It keeps your computer cleaner and therefore keeps it running faster. I still think it is a good idea to have a back -up of your media like on a CD or DVD. I have most of the stuff that's on my drives on those as a back-up. It just gives you a little added security if you do like I had been and keep ripping the drive out or if it falls/gets dropped. I use the portable drives which are getting more affordable, so I usually replace them every couple years just to be safe.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: