Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting clips when you don't have the DVDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Getting clips when you don't have the DVDs Reply with quote

So I'm new to making my own clips--Kat taught me how to this summer! But I'm wondering how people get clips for "current" shows that they don't have DVDs for. I love vidding Lost, but feel that it's harder to find an audience for Lost vids. :-/ But if I were to vid a current show, I have no idea how I'd get clips except for relying on fansites, and I"ve found that the clips are usually sub-par quality.

Do people get torrents and make clips from those? Or maybe just do that for the current season and get the DVDs for past clips?

TIA!

DJC Productions
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download all my stuff from Kickass Torrents. Just make sure to download a 720p hd version of what ever show your downloading. The files are usually around 1GB per ep. in .mkv or .mp4 format. I then have to convert all the eps. before I can edit with them. I use a program called Prism to convert the eps. to a format that works with my editing program. It's time consuming but it's the only way to do it really.

scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I checked and the shows I've been thinking of vidding (Outlander and Scandal) are both on Kickass Torrents so maybe I'll start! Question, though--I went and tried to download the first ep of Outlander and my antivirus software flipped out when I tried to download. How safe would you say the site is as far as malware and such?

OT, but I just saw your "Light at the end of the tunnel" vid last night and LOVED it. I can't believe I hadn't seen it before but wow. Chills!

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started doing muliti-fandom vids I would ask fellow vidders for help with current clips. If I knew someone else vid a fandom that I was hoping to try my hand at, I'd usually PM them and ask them where they got their clips or if they could get me specific scenes. I've never done torrents. I just don't feel comfortable with using them.

I really like your Lost vids, I hope that you'll still make them too.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use torrents and they don't have to be HD (though torrents are good for downloading multiple files). try tvfreeload, you can download episodes separately in handy avi files. I prefer it to torrents cos they tend to be fairly quick and there's usually lots of links to choose from.
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, guys! I agree, I"m a bit skittish about torrents only because who knows what's in those files. I'll try tvfreeload and asking other vidders how they got their clips. I wish it were easier to get HD/high quality clips...the difference between my old vids (before Kat showed me how to make my own clips from the Lost DVDs) and my new vids is huge. I could never go back to just using whatever clips I found! I'll check out both of those avenues.

Macaila, thanks for saying that about my Lost vids! I will NEVER stop vidding Lost, ever. It was my first real fandom and the first vid I ever made was a Jate vid, back during season 2 of Lost! that was 9 years ago....so I will never stop vidding Lost no matter what. I just find it a bit depressing to vid ONLY Lost since Lost vids just don't get the same number of views that current shows do. But I am still wrapping up my Jate vid for V-day and will submit that soon.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get my clips from YouTube. But like someothers I'd get help from other members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: