Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever get burned out mid-vid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Ever get burned out mid-vid? Reply with quote

I'm so frustrated, and am hoping for some encouragement from my fellow vidders.

I've been working on a Lost vid for a while now, and it's my first real ensemble vid (I typically do shippy ones or character studies). It's becoming Jack-centric ensemble, but anyway, I'm having a hard time with it. It's VERY difficult for me to use enough clips that aren't just Jate, because that's what I'm used to. Then I'm having trouble with placement of clips, I can't seem to make up mind on any of them! And I haven't even gotten to transitions yet, just kind of roughing them as I go (short crossfades). When I watch it from start to finish, I see all these little things I need to fix--a weird frame I need to trim, not enough beat use, etc. GRRR! I've already been working on it (on and off) for months and I feel like I'm never going to finish. But no way am I abandoning it.

So, I guess I don't really have a question, just how do you encourage yourself when you get tired of a vid? I took a break for like 1.5 weeks but it didn't really help. I need to stop obsessing because my last vid, which I was really proud of, still only has 90-something views! I feel like there's not as much of an audience for Lost vids anymore. It's just in my heart to vid Lost, so I keep doing it...just gets discouraging when I work so hard and then feel like no one aside from my wonderful LVI-ers sees the vid! I miss the days when I would post my vids on Lost Forum and tons of fans would see it. It was so validating! Sigh.

Should I stop worrying about balancing clips (including a variety of people, etc.) and just do what I feel? It will become more and more Jack-centric but that's not totally weird since he IS the main character.

Any thoughts? Mostly just venting here. TIA!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's something pretty much every vidder goes through. I think part of it is that you just have to let go and give yourself permission to enjoy the process. Try not to stress about whether or not it's perfect. Just keep enjoying the music and lyrics, and going through clips to re-live your favorite moments. If you find yourself using a Jate clip, figure out what drew you to the clip and see if that applies to other characters in the same scene. Focus on getting the clips laid down and worry about making adjustments later. And don't push yourself to complete it on a deadline if you don't have to. Just work on it when the mood strikes you and let it be a fun thing. Good luck and huge hugs!
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for replying and talking me down! Very good advice. Vidding has always been fun to me. I love losing myself in the process. Even back during s2 of Lost when I was using WMM and just learning how to vid, it took forever to make a vid--and that was back when there were only 2 seasons to choose clips from! haha Now I have Vegas, but I'm still very amateur and know it won't be truly perfect--however, I still put a lot of thought into clip placement, transitions, etc. But you're right--I need to enjoy the process. I love getting "lost" in my vid and looking up and realizing an hour has passed. And I love getting to relive my favorite moments, like you said.

Thanks for the pep talk! I need to reconnect w/ what I love about vidding and not worry about the details. This is just fun for me and I need to remember that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: