Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forever Lost- A fun survey for Lost's 10th Anniversary
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarlett_106 wrote
Quote:
Wow that just blew my mind. I have NEVER thought of that! I thought that it was "wrong" for Jack and Kate to be raising the baby because of the whole "raised by another" thing, but I never even remembered that line about the couple. That's a really cool idea! Btw, I feel so awful for Kate--not only does she leave the love of her life on the island, but then days later, she gets back (we hope) and basically gives up her son, too, to a crazy woman. It's kind of unfair. But alas, I guess they all had tragedy.

I always took it that Claire's baby couldn't be raised by "an other" as in "The Others" but could be raised by someone like Kate. I had a theory once that he should be raised by Kate and Sawyer because there is a scene where Locke finds Claire in the cabin with Christian and Christian says that Aaron is where he's supposed to be. At that moment Aaron was with Sawyer, who would give the baby to Kate. But since Jack and Kate were the couple that left the island, I think that was the couple Malkin meant.

One of my favorite moments is when Kate sings Catch a Falling Star to baby Aaron when they go to see Cassidy. It was a neat moment because Claire had told the prospective adoptive parents she wanted them to sing that to the baby, but we never heard her tell Kate about that.

I found that really sad too that Kate kind of lost everything. I always hoped she'd help Claire raise Aaron.

Scarlett_106 wrote
Quote:
I'm surprised you guys weren't hooked by the pilot. To me, I was like "holy CRAP" when I watched it. Jate hooked me right away, as did the various attractive people on the show.

I was intrigued by the Pilot. But the monster in the jungle piece and what "ate" the pilot made me a little apprehensive. I like sci-fi but I'm particular about it. I wasn't sure I would enjoy the show long term if it was some dinosaur/monster thing. But Tabula Rasa showed me that this show was going to be about the characters and their mysteries too. That's what drew me in to keep watching.

I liked how they set up the "who's the prisoner" mystery. They did a good job of establishing Kate as this sweet, kind of vulnerable person before revealing she was the prisoner. I think that's what made her a character you felt sorry for rather than labeling her a bad guy. Until they actually showed her blowing up her dad, I was convinced she was framed or it was an accident. I still feel like it was more self-defense than just hatred that made her kill Wayne.

I loved the flashbacks. I wish we would have gotten more of them. I felt there were still things to explore with some of the characters.

Scarlett_106 wrote:
Quote:
I forgot to add that to my list--in fact, I think that was THE definitive moment of Lost for me at least in s1, I don't know how I forgot it. The Oceanic 815 theme (Life and Death), the slow-mo of everyone boarding the plane, Boone giving Shannon the inhaler, Jack and Locke nodding at each other, Kate in handcuffs....and then that leading to the hatch door exploding and Jack and Locke running up, looking at each other, and peering into the hole...holy crap, I'm getting chills just remembering it. Mind-blowing! The suspense and also the heart--pretty much what Lost is all about.

I really liked that they showed everyone boarding the plane. It was great to see those little interactions like Jack and Locke. I always wondered what Hurley giving Walt thumbs up was all about though. It was so great to see how far certain characters came in just that season. Sawyer boarded so angry, but at the end of the season he was trying to get them rescued. Kate was defeated as she was shackled, but on the island she was a hero. It was also a sad reminder of Boone's death and seeing that despite the bickering he did love Shannon. I love the music too. Life and Death (and it's variations over the seasons) is my favorite Lost song.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
White Rabbit; it's just the moment you realize that Jack's just a survivor on a plane like everyone else. What Kate Did, I love Kate's flashbacks they were probably the most interesting flashbacks. All the small things they included, like the horse and that scene with the horse is one of my favorite Kate scenes.

That's a great interpretation of White Rabbit. I never thought of it like that. I love the scene where Locke and Jack have that conversation in the woods. I always found it interesting Locke's mention of Alice in Wonderland when we later find out Jack's dad read him that book and he reads it to Aaron. Locke always had this eerie insight into people.
That scene had so many great quotes.

"But what if everything that happened here, happened for a reason?"- Locke
"I've looked into the eye of this Island. And what I saw was beautiful. "-Locke. I still wonder what Locke saw.

Locke telling Jack he needed to finish what he started was almost prophetic, especially with the mobisodes and you see Christian tell Vincent to wake Jack because he has work to do.

I always like "a leader can't lead until he knows where he's going". But it struck me odd that Locke was like a mentor to Jack, encouraging him to lead but later seemed to resent Jack as the leader.

Kate flashbacks were my favorites too. I always felt like I got the most character insight from them. One of the coolest things to me was in What Kate Did, there was this quick pan through Kate's house and you see this octagonal box on a shelf. That same box ends up in the hatch when they watch the orientation film. I always felt that was weird and more than a coincidence or simple reuse of a prop.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
Ethan. I picked Ethan because Claire's flashbacks of him always intrigued me. From the flashbacks it really seems that he was acting out of character with how aggressive he was. I would have loved t o have known more about his back-story.

I don't think Ethan was as much of a bad guy as he seemed. In the Flash-sideways ( What Kate Does) when he was Claire's doctor, he was a good guy. I think that was more the real Ethan. We saw in the sideways that characters pretty much were who they were. Keamy was still a bad guy, Eloise was still trying to ruin Desmond's life, so the really bad guys were still bad. I think Ethan had a good side. He seemed to have a soft spot for Claire.
Brooke wrote:
Quote:
Vincent: I'm so relieved that the dog made it in the end. That dog is just awesome; and just the ending with him staying there with Jack showed what kind of a loyal dog Vincent was to them.

I liked how they paralleled Jack and Vincent's first scene with their last scene. For me the dog laying down next to Jack at the end is what gets to me even more than Jack dying.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
Jin: His transformation from angry man to likeable guy was amazing. I never thought I would find myself liking him and when he and Sun died; my heart broke.

I liked Jin a lot more as the series went on. One of my favorite Jin moments is when he tells the ghost story. It was neat to see how his scary story transcended language barriers. I also loved Sawyer teaching him English.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
2. The comic relief. It was humorous and did a great job of getting people out of t he dramatic funk.

Lost knew just when to insert a little humor and they did it in a way that felt natural, it didn't just feel like they wrote in a random joke to break up the drama. Some of my favorite moments are the lighter moments.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
4. Jacks' speech. "If we can't live together we're going to die alone."

That's one of my favorite Lost quotes. I liked how as the series went along Kate also quoted Jack a lot. I still love the scene from the season 3 finale when they're headed to the radio tower and they are waiting to see the 3 explosions on the beach. Rose tells Jack something to the extent of if he says live together one more time she'll punch him. That always makes me smile.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
The entire sequence of jack searching for Christian's body and finding the empty coffin.

I like the way they used the "sound effects" as transitions in this episode like Christian rattling the ice in his glass or Jack beating on the coffin fading into the jungle scene and then going to black.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
The season 2 episode Collision reunion

While Rose and Bernard and Sun and Jin's reunion's are heartwarming, seeing Vincent welcome Michael back is my favorite part of that sequence.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
The flashbacks; and how they intertwine with the stories on the Island.

I've seen several shows now that do Flashbacks, but I feel like Lost pulled it off the best. They did a great job of making the FB's really match with what the character might be thinking about at that moment. I always liked the parts when the island and the FB transitioned into each other in a cool way. In Whatever the case may be, I remember this one part where it seemed like Kate wanted the key to her case on island and it transitioned into them wanting the key to the vault in the flashback. To be able to use such a simple detail to transition was cool.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
Kate calling Sawyer "Southern Pervert", always makes me laugh.

That's a good scene. I like where she throws the rock at him.

Brooke wrote
Quote:
My greatest Lost moment in 16 words. Yikes. But here it is. Michael and Jack arguing about Jack's golf shot. A scene that makes you think the worst, comic relief.

Great scene. I always liked when they had characters like Michael and Jack who were usually pretty serious do a bit of humor.

Scarlett_106 wrote
Quote:
"Dudes, listen. Our lives suck. Everyone's nerves are stretched to the max. I mean, we're lost on an Island, running from boars and monsters -- freakin' polar bears! Look, all I'm saying is, if we're stuck here, then just surviving's not going to cut it. We need some kind of relief, you know. We need some way that we can, you know, have fun. That's right, fun. Or else we're just going to go crazy waiting for the next bad thing to happen. "

I like that quote. I always liked how while Jack addressed the medical needs of the castaways, Hurley was the one who gave them hope and took care of more of the psychological needs. He made the people feel better with games and showed them they could have a moment of fun amongst all the struggles of island living. When I've watched the show back it is so clear why Hurley was the perfect one to take Jacob's place. Hurley was kind of the heart of the island.

I thought of a couple other scenes I really liked:
-Kate gives Jack a sling after the cave-in. I also liked how she comes running and hugs him after he and Charlie escape. It was one of the first times Kate let herself be unguarded and show Jack how much she cared about him. But the sling scene is really sweet.

-When Hurley and Kate have their first proper introduction after he's seen her mugshot always makes me smile. I like how he spots the gun she has and pretty much runs away from her.

-Kate giving Sawyer medicine when he is unconscious in the hatch. I like Jack's reaction to Kate's gentle way of getting Sawyer to take his medicine. I liked Jack's comment that they didn't teach him the whisper in the ear technique in med school. It was nice to see Jack acknowledge that Kate did have an affections for Sawyer, but he didn't get angry or make her feel guilty about it.

This show just has so many great moments.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:

-Kate gives Jack a sling after the cave-in. I also liked how she comes running and hugs him after he and Charlie escape. It was one of the first times Kate let herself be unguarded and show Jack how much she cared about him. But the sling scene is really sweet.

Ahhhh I love The Moth--because I love Charlie but also because there are those great Jate scenes. I remember "The Moth hug" as I've always called it was one of the first moments where I felt like Jate was real, like it wasn't just some secret preference I had haha. There were little jokes before that, like Hurley teasing Jack about moving into a cave with Kate or Charlie rolling his eyes at Kate teasing Jack about his tattoos, but the Moth hug was intense and just wow. I also loved when she said to Sawyer, "You're actually comparing yourself to Jack?" and when she shows up at the caves and says "Why aren't you digging?" Michael tries to get her to stop digging but she won't until Jack is safe...and then Jack and Charlie come around the corner and ah she just runs to him. It's still one of my favorite Jate moments of all time, even more than the later, more "serious" scenes like SNBH and such. It's just so innocent and pure. In that moment, she doesn't care about saving face or hiding her feelings--he's alive and she just runs to him. Epic!

The sling scene was adorable, too. I vaguely remember some recap used to be released after Lost episodes, remember that? And at the moment when Jack says "And we're one step closer to getting off this island" and they both look kind of sadly at the fire, the recap said something Jatey about getting together before it's too late or something. I'll have to look it up.

I could write a book about all my favorite JATE moments haha...but truly, as much as I love Jate, I love Lost more.

Hey random but as I wrap up season 6, I'm struck by how Eloise Hawking doesn't want Desmond and the others to remember their real lives. She heard him ask about Penny and she sternly told him to stop looking for her and just enjoy the life he has, because he wasn't "ready" to know more or something. Here is the transcript:

ELOISE: Stop talking, Hume. I've heard what you've had to say, now you listen to me. I want you to stop.

DESMOND: Stop? Stop what?

ELOISE: Someone has clearly affected the way you see things. This is a serious problem. It is, in fact, a violation. So, whatever you're doing, whatever it is you think you're looking for...You need to stop looking for it.

DESMOND: Do you, do you know what I'm looking for, Mrs. Widmore?

ELOISE: I don't know why you're looking for anything? You have the perfect life. On top of it, you’ve managed to attain the thing you wanted more than anything--my husband's approval.

DESMOND: How do you know what I want?

ELOISE: Because I bloody do.

DESMOND: I need to see that list...or you need to tell me why I can't.

ELOISE: You can't because you're not ready yet, Desmond.

[She walks away from him.]

DESMOND: Ready? Ready, for what?

Why didn't she want Desmond to remember? How was she even in the flash sideways if it was a place they all created for each other? And how did she have knowledge of it while being in it??

ETA: Ok after seeing "The End" (Which destroyed me btw...wow), it makes sense. Eloise knew about the afterlife but in hers, she finally had the life she wanted--she was married to Charles and her beloved son Daniel was safe (she didn't accidentally kill him like she did IRL). Instead of forcing him to focus on science like she did IRL, she encouraged his creativity and let him be a musician. So she finally had what she most wanted in life (as did many of the Losties) and she was afraid Desmond would ruin it all by taking Daniel away. When Desmond assured her that he wasn't there to take Daniel, she backed off. I think her comment "it's a violation" was meant to throw us off the track, make us think the ALT timeline was an actual reality based on the incident never happening.

Ah, this show. The fact that we're discussing it in such detail 4 years after it ended is a testament to its greatness!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ahhhh I love The Moth--because I love Charlie but also because there are those great Jate scenes. I remember "The Moth hug" as I've always called it was one of the first moments where I felt like Jate was real, like it wasn't just some secret preference I had haha. There were little jokes before that, like Hurley teasing Jack about moving into a cave with Kate or Charlie rolling his eyes at Kate teasing Jack about his tattoos, but the Moth hug was intense and just wow. I also loved when she said to Sawyer, "You're actually comparing yourself to Jack?" and when she shows up at the caves and says "Why aren't you digging?" Michael tries to get her to stop digging but she won't until Jack is safe...and then Jack and Charlie come around the corner and ah she just runs to him. It's still one of my favorite Jate moments of all time, even more than the later, more "serious" scenes like SNBH and such. It's just so innocent and pure. In that moment, she doesn't care about saving face or hiding her feelings--he's alive and she just runs to him. Epic!

I agree, The Moth had so many great Jate scenes. I loved how determined Kate was to dig until she found Jack. That Sawyer/Kate scene is great too. I liked how Sawyer told Kate he and Jack weren't so different, in some ways there were similarities between them that developed late in the series. It was neat to see the other characters catching on that there was something special between Kate and Jack. I always liked Charlie teasing Kate and Jack about Jack's tattoo because it was one of those times when Lost had an inside joke and was kind of a nod to the audience wondering if Matthew's tattoos had any relevance to Jack.

I liked that Charlie got to be a hero and save them by following the moth. Locke and Charlie's talk about moth's and strength is a cool scene. I liked the idea it presented that Charlie was a moth struggling to find his strength while someone like Jack was a butterfly, not necessarily stronger but thought of as the stronger leader.

Quote:
The sling scene was adorable, too. I vaguely remember some recap used to be released after Lost episodes, remember that? And at the moment when Jack says "And we're one step closer to getting off this island" and they both look kind of sadly at the fire, the recap said something Jatey about getting together before it's too late or something. I'll have to look it up.

I remember the recaps. I always enjoyed the Lost recaps. My favorites were the Entertainment Weekly recaps and the one's ABC did where they used the action figures to recap stuff. The podcasts were good too.

Quote:
Hey random but as I wrap up season 6, I'm struck by how Eloise Hawking doesn't want Desmond and the others to remember their real lives. She heard him ask about Penny and she sternly told him to stop looking for her and just enjoy the life he has, because he wasn't "ready" to know more or something.

Quote:
Why didn't she want Desmond to remember? How was she even in the flash sideways if it was a place they all created for each other? And how did she have knowledge of it while being in it??

That's very weird that Eloise says it is a violation for Desmond to be looking for Penny.

That scene is from Happily Ever After, right? I think the part about not being ready refers to Desmond's state on the island. He was experiencing these moments as Charles "fried" him in the electro-magnetic box. I think it was Eloise telling Desmond he had work to do on the island, he couldn't succumb and pass on to Sideways world yet. Desmond still had to removed the cork from the island so Flocke could be defeated.

I think Desmond's sideways experience was different from everyone elses. I think in all the other episodes the sideways stories were separate stories, they weren't like Flashbacks where it seemed logical the character might be thinking about the moment we saw. The sideways was a world unknown to the characters. But with Desmond, I think he actually saw sideways world. I think it was like Flashes Before Your Eyes or The Constant where Desmond experienced another time.

This exchange from The End seems to imply Desmond knew there was another place. That if he died he would be with Penny.
JACK: Desmond! Desmond? Can you hear me?
DESMOND: The light... I put it out. It didn't work. I thought I'd leave this
place.
JACK: I got you. Come on. Come on.
DESMOND: I'm still here. You were right Jack.
JACK: Well, there's a first time for everything.
DESMOND: I have to put it back. It was like a drain.
JACK: That's what you did, you took that stone out of that hole over there?
DESMOND: Jack you can't, even if you turn it back on it'll kill you. It has
to be me!
JACK: Desmond, you've done enough. You wanna do something? Go home and be with your wife and son.
DESMOND: What about you, Jack?
JACK: I'll see you in another life, brother.

I always liked the "see you in another life" line. That proved so true in the end.

Quote:
ETA: Ok after seeing "The End" (Which destroyed me btw...wow), it makes sense. Eloise knew about the afterlife but in hers, she finally had the life she wanted--she was married to Charles and her beloved son Daniel was safe (she didn't accidentally kill him like she did IRL). Instead of forcing him to focus on science like she did IRL, she encouraged his creativity and let him be a musician. So she finally had what she most wanted in life (as did many of the Losties) and she was afraid Desmond would ruin it all by taking Daniel away. When Desmond assured her that he wasn't there to take Daniel, she backed off. I think her comment "it's a violation" was meant to throw us off the track, make us think the ALT timeline was an actual reality based on the incident never happening.

I think Eloise did have knowledge of the future. I liked that Daniel got to be a musician and that he found Charlotte in the sideways. That's an interesting observation that Eloise didn't want Desmond to ruin things so she'd lose Daniel again.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Eloise sideways scene reminded me of a question I always had about Penny. I was always curious about Penny Widmore's mother. We knew very little about her. In sideways Penny didn't have the Widmore last name, but her mom's name, while Daniel was the Widmore child this time. We know that Charles seemed to have kind of cheated on Eloise with Penny's mom when he was off island. But whatever happened to Penny's mom?

Another question sideways world left me with was where was Charlie Hume? Aaron was (re)born in Sideways and Sun was pregnant with Ji Yeon. But Charlie Hume didn't exist in any form. That still bothers me. I've always taken it that the church scene was Jack's version of heaven and since he didn't know Charlie like he did Aaron or Ji Yeon, he didn't exist for Jack. I think that the people in the church were those who were important in Jack's life. This would also explain why Helen was not with Locke in the church. Jack didn't know about Helen.

Quote:
Ah, this show. The fact that we're discussing it in such detail 4 years after it ended is a testament to its greatness!

While I wish they had answered a few more questions, I think it's great we can still ponder the show and debate the meaning of scenes or quotes. I love that this show still allows us to theorize.

Lost was a great show. It's a show where you love it when you watch it the first time, but when you watch all the way through and re-watch it you can truly appreciate how much they hinted at things in early seasons that paid off later on. It's fun to see those easter eggs and foreshadowings you miss on the first watch through. It's great to have a show with so many layers that you discover something new each time you watch.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
That Eloise sideways scene reminded me of a question I always had about Penny. I was always curious about Penny Widmore's mother. We knew very little about her. In sideways Penny didn't have the Widmore last name, but her mom's name, while Daniel was the Widmore child this time. We know that Charles seemed to have kind of cheated on Eloise with Penny's mom when he was off island. But whatever happened to Penny's mom?

Another question sideways world left me with was where was Charlie Hume? Aaron was (re)born in Sideways and Sun was pregnant with Ji Yeon. But Charlie Hume didn't exist in any form. That still bothers me. I've always taken it that the church scene was Jack's version of heaven and since he didn't know Charlie like he did Aaron or Ji Yeon, he didn't exist for Jack. I think that the people in the church were those who were important in Jack's life. This would also explain why Helen was not with Locke in the church. Jack didn't know about Helen.

Those are both very interesting questions. As for Penny's mother, I guess she wasn't very important, at least compared to Eloise and Charles. But you're right--it's weird she was never mentioned (except when someone chastized Charles for having a child with an "outsider") and yet Penny was so important to the plot. Not just through Desmond but through her father. It's also sad that Penny was so important to Widmore that he was willing to sell the island's secrets, so to speak, to save her (What They Died For, I believe) but he never ever mentioned Daniel except in sideways world. Very odd and another reason the sideways was nice--Widmore loved his "creative" son Daniel.

As for Charlie 2, I actually though of that when I rewatched the finale last night. That's a really interesting theory about it being from Jack's perspective, except I always cherished the idea of it truly being a collective decision--to meet at the church--and not just Jack's perspective. For me, though, the Charlie 2 thing didn't bother me until this rewatch because the church was always about the original Losties. It's true Penny and Desmond were there, but everyone else was from Oceanic 815. Charlie 2 didn't exist when the plane crashed. Technically, Ji Yeon didn't either, but since she was conceived shortly after and was born of two survivors, she was kind of ushered in. To me, the church was all about the original survivors--like Christian said, the most important part of Jack's life (and each of their lives) was the time they spent on that island together. They needed to meet at the church before moving on. It was kind of a club for the 815 crew. And Charlie 2 wasn't part of it (neither were his parents but I guess Desmond was so important and also so beloved, and so was Penny and their entire ship).

It actually bothered me much more that Michael and Walt weren't in the church. I'm sure it had something to do with the actors. I've heard people said Michael, Ana Lucia, and Eko weren't there because they all killed people and weren't ready to move on (Michael killed Ana and Libby, AL killed that guy Jason who shot her and made her miscarry, and Eko killed many people). But that's crap because how many people did Sayid kill? How about Locke stabbing Naomi in the back? Charlie killing Ethan? You get the idea. To paraphrase Jacob, all of them were flawed. I'm sure that was just the actors.

Btw, can I just say that I've been totally geeking out over Lost for the past 24+ hours. Not only did I watch the finale and sob and sob and sob, and wake up thinking about Lost, but I've also made clips of every episode except for The End (which will take me forever because I basically want to clip 95% of it) and then I just spent a while listening to the various musical scores--Life and Death, Moving On, There's No Place Like Home, etc. and bawling again with all the memories that hit me. I'm totally exposing my dorkiness but my point is that like you're saying, Lost affected me in a way no other show ever could. I'm so glad I can vid it forever, it lives on that way! The characters feel like my family and the show is just home to me. So I just had to get that out there. I agree, the finale did leave some questions unanswered and bring up even more questions for me...I STILL don't get why exactly Jack had to die just when he and Kate finally worked things out, or how Claire was a mother to Aaron when she was crazy about 24 hours ago, how they landed the Ajira flight and explained it to the authorities, etc. I guess the point is, none of it matters because what matters is the church and all of them being together again. Rewatching a few nights ago, Charlie said something to Desmond in the sideways that really really struck me.

CHARLIE: This doesn't matter. None of this matters. All that matters is that we felt it.

That about says it all to me. The "answers" that REALLY matter are that the Losties found each other and lived on together. The relationships they formed lasted even through death.

Sorry for the speech here...just a little overemotional after listening to all those themes. Man, I love Lost. So glad for this forum as a place to continue to discuss it and vid it!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too loved the Moth scene. The hug was an excellent scene showing the connection that Jack and Kate had started.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are both very interesting questions. As for Penny's mother, I guess she wasn't very important, at least compared to Eloise and Charles. But you're right--it's weird she was never mentioned (except when someone chastized Charles for having a child with an "outsider") and yet Penny was so important to the plot. Not just through Desmond but through her father. It's also sad that Penny was so important to Widmore that he was willing to sell the island's secrets, so to speak, to save her (What They Died For, I believe) but he never ever mentioned Daniel except in sideways world. Very odd and another reason the sideways was nice--Widmore loved his "creative" son Daniel.

I felt like Widmore did truly change when he came back to the island the final time. I think he had finally come to see the error of his ways.
I've always wondered if Penny's mother died when she was young. That would explain Penny and Charles never mentioning her.

It was great to see Charles and Daniel have a bond in sideways world.

I also wish they would have explained why Desmond raised his brothers. He and Charles talked about this in Flashes Before Your Eyes.We never heard anything more of them or what happened to his parents to make him raise his siblings. That's remained another lingering mystery to me.

Quote:
As for Charlie 2, I actually though of that when I rewatched the finale last night. That's a really interesting theory about it being from Jack's perspective, except I always cherished the idea of it truly being a collective decision--to meet at the church--and not just Jack's perspective. For me, though, the Charlie 2 thing didn't bother me until this rewatch because the church was always about the original Losties.

It was kind of a club for the 815 crew.

First off, I love that phrase "club for the 815 crew". That made me smile. Such a perfect way to describe the sideways church.

That's a good point, Charlie wasn't part of the Oceanic 815 group like the other kids. Desmond would have been there though because he was on the island when 815 crashed and the reason they crashed and therefore met each other. He's sort of an honorary 815'er.

I've always felt like the church was a collective "vision" of sorts but it was also somewhat individual. I think this was Jack's version and the people who meant the most to him in his life. I always thought perhaps different people had different versions that varied slightly. For example Juliet loved her sister Rachel, it seems odd she'd move on without her sister. So if she had a slightly different version all the people in Jack's version would be there but so would Rachel and Julian. Locke loved Helen so she would have been in his version. Maybe Liam was in Charlie's. I think it was both collective and individual.

Quote:
It actually bothered me much more that Michael and Walt weren't in the church. I'm sure it had something to do with the actors. I've heard people said Michael, Ana Lucia, and Eko weren't there because they all killed people and weren't ready to move on

I don't think it has to do with their crimes because almost everyone in that church had killed at least one person. Even Hurley (one of the most innocent characters) had killed people. I know Adewale (Eko) would not return to the show. I'm not sure what happened there. In my opinion Ana wasn't there because she hadn't learned her lesson yet. We saw her take a bribe from Hurley to let Kate, Sayid and Des go. She was still a rouge cop. She was still in that mindset that landed her on the island.
I think the losties would have still been bitter with Michael so he would have only been there if Walt was there. I don't think Walt was there because he may have been Jacob like and still alive on the island. I found it odd we never saw Frank or Richard. I thought Richard was aging, so he should have been there. I think some people moved on in different groups. We saw Daniel and Charlotte reunite but they did not come with the 815 group. Frank and Miles probably would have went with them in a "freighter church" I think Ben and some of the Others probably left together. I think Ben would have taken Alex and Danielle with him.

Quote:

I'm totally exposing my dorkiness but my point is that like you're saying, Lost affected me in a way no other show ever could. I'm so glad I can vid it forever, it lives on that way! The characters feel like my family and the show is just home to me. So I just had to get that out there. I agree, the finale did leave some questions unanswered and bring up even more questions for me...I STILL don't get why exactly Jack had to die just when he and Kate finally worked things out, or how Claire was a mother to Aaron when she was crazy about 24 hours ago, how they landed the Ajira flight and explained it to the authorities, etc. I guess the point is, none of it matters because what matters is the church and all of them being together again. Rewatching a few nights ago, Charlie said something to Desmond in the sideways that really really struck me.

"CHARLIE: This doesn't matter. None of this matters. All that matters is that we felt it.

That about says it all to me. The "answers" that REALLY matter are that the Losties found each other and lived on together. The relationships they formed lasted even through death.

That's a great quote. That's so true. Lost is a show you really felt. I think it's wonderful when a show can still make you laugh or cry even if you've seen it many times. The finale still gets to me, even just certain clips from it. I loved the way this show did it's characters, they were so well developed. Very well put, the characters were like a family and the show is like a home.

That would probably have been a funny scene to see how they explained Ajira 316 returning. Kate especially would have some explaining, like what happened to the rest of the Oceanic 6 who left on the plane with her. (I don't think anyone would want to fly with her after that since people on both Oceanic and Ajira just disappeared never to heard from again. LOL)

Quote:
Sorry for the speech here...just a little overemotional after listening to all those themes. Man, I love Lost. So glad for this forum as a place to continue to discuss it and vid it!

I love the soundtracks. I always listen to music when I paint and always enjoy putting on the soundtracks especially if I'm working on a Lost themed picture. The season 1 soundtrack is my favorite still.

I agree it's great to have a place like LVI where we can continue to enjoy discussing and viding Lost. Lost is still my favorite show to vid. It's so fun to relive those moments by viding them or watching them in vids. I see so many little things I missed just by seeing how different people interpret the storylines into their vids.

I never realized when I watched the pilot 10 years ago that this show would go on to be my all time favorite show and that I'd still love it this much 4 years after it ended.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: