Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fandom Study

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natz
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Fandom Study Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on here for a long time but I am Jemma's sister and I am doing some research about the LOST fandom for my degree course. For this part of the assignment I needed to engage in an online discussion about how fans discuss the fandom but seeing as the site is now multi fandom I thought it would be better to ask some questions about how you all use the site and your feelings on the show. I hope this is okay! It would help me a lot

1. Please describe the ways in which you celebrated being a fan of the show when you first got interested in it and if that has changed in any way since the show ended.

2. What first attracted you to this website and what things did you use it for?

3. Did your use of the site change when the show ended? Did you become less interested in the LOST fandom?

4. Did you develop new relationships due to being part of the LOST fandom?

Any any other comments about the site, the show and how you use/used the site to celebrate LOST fandom as a community and any changes in that seeing as now the site is now multifandom. These are pretty loose questions so any kind of discussion would be great!

Anyone can reply to this, thanks a lot for any responses x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Please describe the ways in which you celebrated being a fan of the show when you first got interested in it and if that has changed in any way since the show ended.

I think I was 13/14 or something like that and it was a year or so after the show first started. I found the site when I got interested in vidding. I would do everything really, make vids, fanart, fanfic and also discuss the show on the forums. I'm not sure if it's because the show ended or because I got older but I did those things a lot less after it ended. I still do them with other fandoms, just a lot less than I used to.

I first came here looking for clips and advice on vidding but I soon became a part of the community and used it for the fandom stuff listed above. I became a CM in 2009 and since then, CM duties have been added to the list, so I'm watching, commenting and voting on vids, putting them through, making sure everything's okay with the site and also just to "see" and chat with my friends

3. Did your use of the site change when the show ended? Did you become less interested in the LOST fandom?

Yeah, I became more interested in other shows, and when the site went multifandom I would submit vids for other fandoms.

Definitely, most of my online friends were part of the Lost fandom

Not sure what else to say!
Natz
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jemma
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first three seasons, I mostly participated in forum discussions on various sites and occasionally made fan-art or wrote fan-fiction. My active interest in Lost has waned since it ended, mostly because as the details fade I feel less able to participate in meaningful discussion about the show and am not as inspired to create any sort of Lost-related art.

I can't remember how I found LVI, but I think I lurked for awhile before I joined after making my first Lost fan-video. I appreciated that the show discussion was more mellow here than I'd seen on other sites, and I really liked the way that the videos enhanced the discussion. I mainly used the site to watch and comment on vids, discuss the show, and participate in vidding contests.

Yes, mainly in that I wasn't discussing/vidding Lost as much and my attention turned to discussing/vidding other fandoms. I did become less interested in the Lost fandom since there wasn't as much going on with it.

Yep! In addition to the friends I've made at LVI because of Lost, I also made some friends at LiveJournal through Lost, and it was strangely a source of re-connection with a few old friends when we discovered our mutual interest in the show.

Of all the Lost sites I participated in, this has by far been the best and my favorite. The community here is top-notch--always friendly, welcoming, and courteous. I've always appreciated the fact that there are no fandom lines drawn in the sand here. We didn't need to have separate boards for different ships, or anti-ship boards, and no one would jump down your throat for liking or not liking a certain character. People would still watch your video even if they didn't like the ship or the character, and they could say they weren't a fan of the character or pairing while still being able to appreciate the artistic merit of your video.

Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply it's all very useful stuff! X
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATED the concept of Lost. GASP. I thought it sounded like "Gilligans Island Meets Party of Five. I clearly judged the book by it's cover. I slowly got invested into it because I'd been somewhat of a Fox fan so I would read articles in TV Guide about it here and there. I remembered I read an article and I was like "Hmm that sounds interesting." So I went to the video store (And I was good friends with the workers at the time) and they were so excited that I was finally getting into the show. I put in disc 1 at 12 AM at night. I couldn't sleep I thought I'd fall asleep to Lost. Didn't happen. Watched two episodes and went to bed around 3 AM on Christmas Eve. I spent all of Christmas thinking about this show I'd started. The day after Christmas I cranked out the first season in a week; season 2 wasn't my favorite. I found myself drawn to the characters more then to the island; and so I got that done in 2. Then watched the rest of season 3 episodes 1-6 on ABC's website.

How has it changed me? I never vidded nor thought about vidding until Lost. I saw NikkiMonique's videos and was in aw of the storytelling behind them. I am big on character and story so I was really fascinated and really wanted to do it. I have always loved TV shows but I've gained some great friendships through this show.

2. What first attracted you to this website and what things did you use it for? I contacted NikkiMonique and she sent me the link. Took me a while to finally come here and get my feet wet. But the idea of 'making Lost videos' was something I wanted to do, and thought this was the perfect place for that.

3. Did your use of the site change when the show ended? Did you become less interested in the LOST fandom? No. I'm still very much in love with the show and the characters that drew me to it. I still come here even though the show has ended. I think that LVI is doing it's best to change with the times but I have made so many friends here and that's what brings me back. I work A LOT, 6 days a week and don't make as many vids as I want to. Just takes longer for me.

4. Did you develop new relationships due to being part of the LOST fandom? LOL. I answered this in another question but absolutely I did. I think Social media has helped A LOT with that.

I like that the show has gone multifandom because it's really nice to see what the people here enjoy outside of Lost. Their favorite music/movies/shows and so on. I think it's helped branch out LVI and get new people involved in this great place.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:

I can't remember how I found LVI, but I think I lurked for awhile before I joined after making my first Lost fan-video. I appreciated that the show discussion was more mellow here than I'd seen on other sites,

THIS. I think I began vidding during or after season 3 and I became more active here later on during the show; and I loved how calm and sophisticated the discussions were. If you disagreed with someone you didn't get in their face and they didn't get in your face. I appreciated that my comments were appreciate and not ridiculed.

I'd been attacked relentlessly on Youtube which was were I'd done a lot of my commenting on the show and LVI was a safe haven for me. A place where I could say "I think this is happening" and not be worried that I was going to get screamed at.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Lost from the very beginning. I had my own website for Lost - in fact, most of it is still up. I joined LVI and began making fan vids. Even now I still enjoy making Lost videos! I like many different fandoms but there is something about Lost that makes it stand above all the others.

I'm not sure exactly how I found LVI. I had been vidding for a couple of years and when I started making Lost vids, I wanted somewhere other than my own site to post them.

I do not vid as much as I used to, not because of lack of interest but lack of time. Lost is still my favorite fandom to vid, though I do vid other fandoms too.

Absolutely! A lot of my online friends are right here at LVI.
Natz
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks so much for your replies! It was very kind of you and I have written up my report now which I am feeling good about

Thanks again for all your help! x
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Glad you were able to get it done. I hope it goes well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: