Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (Season 4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so funny that you say that because I have reread Storm of Swords over the course of two seasons to match with the show I was going to delve into AFOC but my kindle died I do have the kindle app on my tablet though.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I did anything I would maybe re-read book five. Maybe.

By the way... still formulating my thoughts on tonight's episode.

Funny, though...

Spoiler:

I was thinking Sam wasn't at the wall during the big showdown in the books but he was, because he doesn't go until the "baby swap."

I need to go read summaries of all that happened at the wall in books 3, 4, and 5, because I feel so lost!!!

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia..

Spoiler:

He arrives at the wall after the battle in the books from what I remember straight after sending Bran on his way. He then leaves with Gilly and the baby.

I'm still gathering my thoughts about the episode too. It was pretty epic but man that end. What a tease! Reminded me of Lost with the fade to white lol
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Julia..

Spoiler:

He arrives at the wall after the battle in the books from what I remember straight after sending Bran on his way. He then leaves with Gilly and the baby.

I was so confused! LOL! I realize now you pointed that earlier but it didn't click then for some reason. I totally forgot all of that happening. I read through a bunch of summaries on the wiki, too, trying to get myself sorted out. Maaaan, I forgot out much still has to happen up there.

Quote:
I'm still gathering my thoughts about the episode too. It was pretty epic but man that end. What a tease! Reminded me of Lost with the fade to white lol

Spoiler:

Since they combined the earlier attacks, I was hoping that Stannis was going to show up right when things got crazy, so I was a bit disappointed that he didn't, but it looks like we may have more battle next week? I hope it happens then. I can't wait for that part!

I'm watching again with my mom tomorrow so I'll probably hold my comments until then now that I have a bit better recollection of how it went down in the books. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts once they're gathered!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I know, right? It's so weird that they are likely to spend three seasons on ASOS material.

Spoiler:

We will get Stannis next episode I bet but was looking forward to it this episode. They could have least got Jon to Mance's tent and then have him try and kill Jon or something like that as the cliffhanger for the episode.

We are not going to get any of the election of Jon as Lord Commander storyline until next season unless they simplify the whole thing which would be disappointing.

Thoughts on the ep..

Loved the Sam and Gilly stuff. They are so cute and they are making Sam more heroic which is great.

Sad they killed Pyp and Grenn but was happy with Grenn's death at least because it was pretty bad ass with him taking the part of Donal Noye.

Alliser Thorne was.. likeable? This was weird but it was a cool twist and makes his character feel less one note.

The battle scenes were great. The sweeping shot where they flipped over both sides of the wall and that one continuous shot where it covered the whole set were breathtaking. That giant with the massive bow was super cool! The fact they had actual giants riding actual mammoths was too cool for words.

Jon and Ygritte was touching. Loved the little smile he had and that he just didn't care about anything else around him. I wish the dialogue had gone on longer. It is so beautifully written in the book and some of the best lines were left out. It was still well done though.

The ending just felt a little flat. I hope they don't rush through stories in episode 10 just because they have so much to cram in. It is an extended episode at 66 minutes which helps but still worried.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked this episode more than I thought I would (the prospect of an entire ep at the Wall was not exciting for me) but they did a good job of keeping it entertaining!

Loved the Sam/Gilly stuff. That was all too adorable!

What was Janos Slynt doing?? I don't recall him hiding in the books, but as we have previously established I forget a lot of things that happened in the books.

Ygritte's death was upsetting but really well done.

Really disappointed they killed Pyp and Grenn, though, that was HEARTBREAKING for me!! I know they're just minor characters but it's like Irri and Jhiqui all over again. I wish they wouldn't kill people who don't die in the books.

Spoiler:

To make up for that I hope they introduce Satin. I'm waiting for that boy to show up!

They really need Stannis to show up, so maybe that'll happen next week? I don't know how the Wall can hold without him...

art by me&tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:

I hope you're right about Stannis being in the next episode, but I just hope there's time to do it right. I agree that Jon as Lord Commander probably won't be until next season.

My thoughts echo both of yours... loved Sam and Gilly, loved how heroic Sam got to be, heartbroken about Pyp and Grenn (though tbh, I didn't recall their fate in the books), and thought the episode was pretty well done. I agree about the battle scenes being really well done, especially the sweeping shot as you said, Paul, and the shots over both sides of the wall. I also loved the scene where it pulls out from Jon looking over the wall and shows the fire. Amazing! The mammoth and giants were awesome--I hope we get to see more next week. Jon and Ygritte was well done despite being short. I am sooo glad you said that about Thorne, Paul! I was thinking the same thing. I kind of felt sorry for him when he said his bit about being a leader, and he showed great courage through everything. The giant in the tunnel played out differently, but I got goosebumps when Grenn and the others were reciting the oath as the giant ran toward them. SO EPIC!

Eryn, I don't think Janos was at the wall yet by this point in the books. The timeline is so jumbled in the show, but I think Janos arrived just after the battle,
Spoiler:

right before Jon was made Lord Commander.

I love that they made him such a coward, though.

Spoiler:

OMG! How did you even remember Satin?! I had to look him up. I bet he'll definitely be in next season.

Btw, I got so excited about Maester Aemon talking about being in love with someone once, and I wondered if it was anyone important, but then I figured out that in the books he was the third son (not the heir) and was sent to Oldtown at the age of nine, so I guess that was just made up for the show. I wonder why they made him the heir who renounced the throne instead of just making him the third son like in the books? Kinda a random, weird change. Unless it turns out (in the books) that he really was the first born and just claims to be third born so no one ever saw him as a threat or whatever, but that seems unlikely. Probably just a random change, I guess?
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the ep had giants, mammoths and (yay!) a Sam/Gilly kiss, but I was a bit.... underwhelmed, to be honest. Maybe because this ep had been so super-hyped for a long time before it finally aired. Maybe I expected.... umm, more? I don't know. Either way, I liked the Blackwater ep more than this one.

I'm really sad about Grenn's and Pyp's death. I liked both characters a lot and, yes, I agree: I don't see why they keep killing characters that are still alive in the books.
Also, you never know what GRRM may still have in store for any of them, so it may not be wise to kill the smaller characters just yet. Butterfly effect, as he calls it himself.
Besides, the death toll on GoT is high enough as it is.

I'm not a fan of Ygritte's though. I didn't care for her neither in the books nor on the show, so her death left me unaffected, sorry to say

Quote:
I wonder why they made him the heir who renounced the throne instead of just making him the third son like in the books?

Didn't GRRM write the same thing though in his books: That Aemon, third son of Prince Maekar, refused to take the throne when he was offered it, instead leaving it to his younger brother Aegon?

Quote:
Kinda a random, weird change. Unless it turns out (in the books) that he really was the first born and just claims to be third born so no one ever saw him as a threat or whatever, but that seems unlikely.

Aemon did have two older brothers, that much I know for sure, because they both appear in the dunk & Egg tales.
The oldest died of the pox and the other was - well - mad as a hatter and died drinking a cup of wildfire, so I guess that's why Aemon was offered to take the throne inspite of being the third son.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the ASoIaF wiki it says Aemon was sent to Oldtown at the age of 8 or 9 because his father thought it unwise to have too many heirs, so I'm a bit confused about what was actually in the books? Unless maybe GRRM changed his mind in the Dunk and Egg books and the ASoIaF wiki just wasn't updated to reflect that?
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finale thoughts under the cut, just in case...

Spoiler:

Okay, so, I was a *little* disappointed with the Stannis arrival. It was a tad anti-climactic with them attacking an idle camp, but at least it's done. I liked the funerary bits and Jon seeing Melisandre through the fire.

I can't believe we got the Children of the Forest already! That was pretty amazing. I'm disappointed that we didn't get Coldhands, though. I don't see an opportunity for them to bring him in later on.

Not sure what to think about the Brienne/Sandor fight. It was fun from a fannish perspective--and it definitely worked. I wasn't sure who to root for! I *loved* that they had Sandor say the awful thing about Sansa as a way to incite Arya into killing him. I also loved the opportunity for Arya and Brienne to chat about being female fighters.

The Tyrion stuff went perfectly. I was nervous they wouldn't be able to fit it in, but it was so well done. My favorite part was Varys turning back to the ship after the bells. Perfect! Oh! And I loved the Jaimie/Tyrion goodbye.

What did you think of Cersei admitting her relationship with Jaimie to their father?

My favorite part of the whole episode was that it ended with Arya leaving for Braavos. I've been saying forever that was how I wanted this season to end, so that was a big wish come true for me. It was beautiful and the music was awesome. Soooo perfect!!!

I can't wait to hear what you all thought!

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:

OMG.... Jojen???
Really, JOJEN???

I'm not sure if they're already showing us stuff from the sixth book here. I can still hope that that's not what happens in the books, right? Then again, didn't Jojen already know about his death in the books?

No, no, no, no, no!!!!

Brienne vs. Sandor - what the heck?
I agree: Cool from a fannish perspective, but still: What the heck? Where will that leave us in the books? She sure won't be too happy to see him again

Loved the little talk between Brienne and Arya though... and the fact that Arya would've rather stayed with Sandor than going with Brienne

Yes, the Tyrion scenes were so well done! I don't know how to feel about the lack of Jaime's Tysha confession though. What does that mean? In the books, it seems to be a very important

a) to drive a wedge between Jaime and Tyrion, inspite of Jaime just having saved his younger brother. I suppose that will be addressed when - and if - the brothers meet again.
b) with Tyrion's "Where do whores go?" thoughts in ADWD, I'm totally convinced that Tyrion will see Tysha again. She doesn't play any role at all on the show though, so I'm not sure what D&D are intending to do here.

I was confused about Cersei's "confession" at first, Julia. But now I think that it was actually pretty cool to add this scene because that way Tywin died knowing that House Lannister isn't all that great and mighty after all and that he's been building his world upon lies and even more lies. So, yeah, I approve

I was convinced that the ep would end with the children and the Three Eyed Raven... but I liked the ending with Arya taking a ship to Braavos.

No Lady Stoneheart? I'm disappointed

Last edited by KajaM on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the matter "LS":

(Spoilers for non-book readers!!!!!)

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/16/alex-graves-on-the-scene-fans-were-expecting-to-see/
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, WOW!!! That is INTERESTING about LS!!!

Spoiler:

I have to say, that's a real game changer. It makes me think that they have no intention of bringing the series up through book five, or at least not all the story lines.

LS may be no more than a vengeful zombie for much of her story so far, but that story line does seem to be leading somewhere with her capturing and trying to hang Brienne, forcing Brienne to hand her Jaime in exchange for her (and possibly Pod's) life. It seems like that might be important to Jaime and Brienne's story lines and even character arcs. They'll probably just have it be the Brotherhood sans Lady Stoneheart, but that cheapens the whole thing, IMO.

It does interest me, though, that he repeatedly says "this season" which means it's not off the table for another season. Maybe they'll just bring her in a few episodes before she's needed for the Brienne part?

Tysha was only mentioned briefly during season one, so my guess is they only included it for character development and that it won't be part of the show. In a way I'm okay with that, because I rather liked Tyrion and Jaime parting on good terms.

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should hang Alex Graves I think he's talking about it when he knows nothing about their plans for season 5. He is after all just a director.
Spoiler:

Still have hopes they have her in season 5 although they missed a great opportunity for a crazy cliffhanger.

Still haven't watched the finale episode again but I was very conflicted. They butchered the Tyrion stuff imo and no LS was a real letdown. The Brienne and Hound fight was awesome. Loved the Bran stuff apart from the skeletons which I am not even sure is possible for wights. We have no precedent in the book for them and it is very corny. Dunno why the Jon stuff couldn't have been in episode 9. They should have extended that episode to 60 plus minutes.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah--what was with those skeleton things? They just fought regular wights in the book, right?

What didn't you like about the Tyrion scene, Paul?

I hope you're right about the director just not knowing the plans for S5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: