Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI's Featured CM for March!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: LVI's Featured CM for March! Reply with quote

This month’s Featured CM is KajaM aka Karolina!

Karolina has been a wonderful member of this site since 2005. She became a CM in August of 2006, and left due to RL commitments in 2008. She rejoined the Council in September of 2011, and we were thrilled to have her back! She has made close to 100 videos, all of them lovely to look at and beautifully edited. She is a great vidder, an awesome CM, and a valuable member of LVI!

1) What got you interested in vidding?
It was mainly a fanvid about Mulder’s & Scully’s relationship (from the TV show The X-Files), set to a truly beautiful song by Sarah McLachlan, that I found at some fanpage on the internet. This must’ve easily been more than ten years ago and compared to today’s standards of fan vidding it was probably a very „simple“ vid, but I was all in awe *lol* I wanted to be able to do something like that myself! I later found some of Heather’s (Uruviel’s) Lord of the Rings vids on the internet and I think that’s also how I found Lost Video Island (in 2005), but I’m not sure about that anymore. Browsing through the LVI forums, I discovered a lot of helpful tips and tricks and then took my first “baby steps” in vidding with Windows Movie Maker… a horrible program at that time, but quite useful for a newbie vidder really *lol*

2) Do you have a tip, trick, or technique to share?
Like some of the other Featured Members, I like to print out the lyrics of the song I’m going to use and I make a lot of handwritten notes on which characters, scenes, quotes etc. I want to use for the different parts of the song. It’s a good way of mapping out where you want to go with your vid.
While working on my vids in Sony Vegas, I use markers… A LOT! They’re very helpful for the beat use and as a pointer to the major moments in your vid. I try to figure out what I want the vid to look like (colouring-wise), so that it’ll fit with the mood & atmosphere of the song, and from then onwards it’s a lot of experimenting, editing-rendering-and-watching and then re-editing, re-rendering and re-watching.

3) What are your favorite current fandoms?
Definitely Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead, but I’ve also been watching a lot of Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad and The Tudors lately. I think those may also be my new vidding fandoms I sometimes like to go back to old fandoms though like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Harry Potter etc. – for example in multi-fandom vids.

4) What was your first vid and what is your favorite vid you've done?
My first vid… ahem… was a very cheesy vid for Lost’s Kate and Sawyer. Kinda ironic, considering how much I later despised that whole triangle / quadrangle thing I never re-watched this vid in the later years and I’m not sure if I ever want to watch it again. It’s just too embarrassing *lol*
There are a lot vids that I love, even after many years, but also vids that I hate or that I’m really dissatisfied with. I think my “babies” are the ones that I still feel emotionally attached to like “How It Ends” (a vid about Charlie’s death on Lost), “All I Need” (a character study for Boomer from Battlestar Galactica), “Lifeline” (a shippy vid for Carol/Daryl from The Walking Dead) or “Heartbeats” (tribute to the Stark family from Game Of Thrones). There are vids that I’m proud of in technical terms but the emotional ones are more precious to me.

5) Do you have any goals as far as skill improvement or dream projects?
I always try to improve skills that I’m not so good at. Beat use, for example, is one of the things that, to me, is always worthy of improvement. At some point in the future I’d like to make a vid that is really heavy on masking and split-screens, so that I can improve those skills as well. Cylune’s “Before The Dawn” is a perfect example for that. The masking and the split-screens are breathtaking! I’d like to have enough time and especially PATIENCE at some point to do something like that.

6) A lot of your vids have dialog though out them flawlessly, how do you accomplish this?
It’s funny that I got this question, really, because I used to hate audio editing in the past! I used to avoid using dialog in my vids because I wasn’t really good at it and I didn’t enjoy it at all. At some point, however, I realised that dialogues and voiceovers are sometimes very useful, especially for character or relationship studies. From that point onwards it was basically a matter of practicing… finding the right quotes, cutting them properly, trying to find a good point in the song to fit the dialog in. That’s the trickiest part, imo – finding the right point because often the music is too loud, the beats are too heavy etc. for any type of voiceover. It’s a matter of trial-error-and-improve, I think.

7) Your videos are always edited very well and also have beautiful coloring. Which is more challenging for you, the editing or the coloring?
Both are equally challenging, I think, but at different points in the process of video making. Colouring is one of the very first things that I put my mind to – after choosing the song/fandom/characters, and developing a general idea for my vid. I always try to find a colouring that fits with the overall theme and mood/atmosphere of my vid. Sometimes it’s very easy, sometimes I waste hours on the colouring alone. The actual editing comes next and here it depends on what I want to do… if I want to try using some new effects, if I have to pay close attention to the lyrics or the beat, if I’m going to use voiceovers. I’d say that finding the right type of colouring is trickier, but most of my time, effort and work definitely goes into the editing.

Featured Videos:

Dethroned - a gorgeous trailer for Game of Thrones with excellent beat use.
Into My Bloodstream - Daryl/Carol - a lovely shippy video with beautiful coloring.
Let Go, Brother - Boromir - a character video that is visually stunning, and a great song choice.

Thank you Karolina, for being such a great longtime part of LVI!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Congrats, Karolina!

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Eryn!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Karolina!

I really enjoyed your interview.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Karolina!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Macaila & Heather!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who admires your vidding technique and character studies; your answers were really inspiring. Great interview and congrats!!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Karolina! (((HUGE HUGS)))
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Brooke & Heather! Brooke, that's such a wonderful thing to hear!! Thank you so much!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Karolina! ^_^

icon by becca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: