Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: 2012 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners Reply with quote

2012 was a great year for LVI! It was our 2nd year of being multi-fandom, and we got some great vids from many, many fandoms!

We had so many wonderful videos & vidders who took part in this year's tourney! The level of talent here is incredible! It was exciting to see which vids came out on top!

After weeks of voting, we now have the results of the 2012 Tournament!

All banners are made by the lovely & talented emmasholi!

The 2012 Vid Of The Year is, as decided by your votes is...

Fairytale - Once Upon A Time by aradnea

2nd place - LOST-The True Candidate by DJC Productions
3rd place - jack+kate the end + script lines by pruedens

Congratulations, Ali!!! This is such a well-done vid, using the perfect song choice for Once Upon A Time, along with lovely coloring and excellent editing! This is an all-around gorgeous vid!

Dennis and Anna, your videos are also fantastic! Both are Lost vids, which will always be a favorite fandom at LVI. Beautiful work, congrats to you both.

Again this year, the winners of the MCAs were the vids to move on to the Vid Of The Year Tournament! Here are the amazing vids that won their categories in the MCAs! Congrats to all!
Spoiler:

There are some videos that stood out in the eyes of the CMs, so we are honoring with this year's Council Members Choice awards, posted below.

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the Tournament & MCAs, and a huge thank you to everyone who voted! You are who make LVI such an awesome place! We can't wait to see what great vids you all come up with in 2013!

Last edited by Uruviel on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Debbie's Fringe || Worth Fighting For.

Debbie's "Fringe || Worth Fighting For" is my CM's Choice because it is a unique vid, not using music but using a powerful speech from Lord of the Rings that works very well with the story in Fringe. It begins with a great clip to set up the vid, and then continues with clips that are perfectly matched to the audio. It shows Peter & Olivia's relationship well, and how they always end up back together. I like how it ends with Peter & Olivia & also Walter. The coloring in this video is gorgeous, the darkness of it flowing perfectly with Sam's words. "Fringe || Worth Fighting For" by Debbie is a great example of a different & interesting way to vid.

Last edited by Uruviel on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Lost In a Different World | Tudors & Revenge by MariaPurt

MariaPurt's "Lost In a Different World | Tudors & Revenge" is my favorite example this year of the sort of imaginative and innovative magic that can be made with multifandom vids. In addition to being beautifully edited, this AU vid cleverly supposes that Victoria and Conrad from Revenge have known each other through a series of past lives, by weaving together clips from Revenge and a variety of period pieces the actors have starred in. The soft coloring and emotional song create the perfect atmosphere while the alternation between colored modern day clips and desaturated past life clips creates a sense of drama that reels your right in. What's especially magical to me is the occasional overlay of a past clip onto a modern clip, which beautifully underscores the notion that this couple has been together again and again throughout history. Between the flawless manipulations, the spot-on lyric interpretation, and the stunning concept, you can't help but believe the story MariaPurt is telling. With "Lost In a Different World | Tudors & Revenge", MariaPurt expertly demonstrates the limitless storytelling possibilities of multifandom vidding.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to The Walking Dead [Simple Math] Feat. Manchester Orchestra by adelicateflower

Amy's "Simple Math" is one of those vids that got strongly stuck in my mind in 2012. It's a densely atmospheric tribute to the ensemble of the TV show The Walking Dead, showing us all the hardships and struggles that this group of survivors of the Zombie apocalypse have to go through.

The editing is smooth and subtle, it's a real pleasure to watch! What impressed me most though is the very creative use of the lyrics, especially since the lyrics of the song aren't that clear, obvious or unambiguous at all.
And not just that: Amy even manages to take us almost chronologically through S1 and the first half of S2, along to the lines of this unusual but great song. As the music explodes towards the end of the song, Amy also ends her vid with one of the most dramatic and emotional moments of the show so far. I had goosebumps all over!!

Congrats, Amy, on this amazing video!

Last edited by KajaM on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Tammy's Once Upon A Time Ensemble; We Will Fight To The Death.

Definitely one of my favourite videos of the year, and one of my favourite vids from Tammy. And I don't even watch the fandom. But when vidded correctly I think that any video to any song can be enjoyable to anyone, which is why I chose this video as my CM's Choice.

Having vidded the song I know how tricky it is but also how perfect it is for vidding, especially for an ensemble cast. The song is screaming to be made into an action video which is what I think Tammy has done here perfectly. The fight to the death scenes were just made to be vidded to a song like this.

I love the way text is used in this vid. It highlights all the lyrics with expertly chosen scenes to match. The same goes for the adjectives given in the song, the scenes to pair with them were spot on. Especially using the Evil Queen for "evil", Emma as "leader" and Henry as "the messiah".

I like the small touches as well, like how heads turn in the right direction when the lyrics say "to the right, to the left", and the simple and poignant use of dialogue that fits with the lyrics.

In all it's a wonderful video and a great learning tool to anyone wanting to use text and/or make an action video. It had the right scenes chosen at the right times with the right song. Excellent job, Tammy!

Last edited by littleton_pace on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Save Me From Myself by starryeyesxx.

Sophie’s ‘Save Me From Myself’ video has such a strong atmosphere that I was able to instantly recall it when I came to consider my CM’s Choice Award this year. The whole ‘feel’ of the vid is unlike anything I’ve seen before and made a lasting impression.

In the video’s description Sophie mentions how she experimented with the effects and tried to create a “calm, content mood“. This she certainly achieved! All the elements of the video seem carefully crafted to suit the tone and flow of the music, beautifully showcasing Jack and Kate’s relationship.

Her clip choices perfectly illustrate the emotion in the lyrics of the song, and her use of transitions do a wonderful job of keeping to the smooth rythm of the music. Some of my favourite parts of the video highlight these points: the unusual transiton at 0:13-0:14 hits right on the beat and glides along with the lyric, the section betweeen 1:17-1:23 where the playfullness in the song is matched with some fun clips of the characters interacting, and the interpetation of “when I start to crumble you know how to keep me smiling” between 1:42-1:48.

I also love her use of a colouring and the addition of an interesting border. Both really suit the video’s atmosphere, creating a unique look without being distracting for the viewer. ‘Save Me From Myself’ is an all-round superbly edited video, which I really enjoyed watching over and over again! Congratulations Sophie, and thank you for sharing your gorgeous video with us here at LVI!

Last edited by emmasholi on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Maybe Redemption Has Stories to Tell [The Whedonverse] by Charlies_Innocence.

Elyse's "Maybe Redemption Has Stories to Tell" is my favorite vid of the year for so many reasons! One of the things I love about it is that the song is instrumental, yet she manages to fit her clips and audio to the music regardless, which is something I personally struggle with. I love the way she takes audio from all these different shows and movies (the unifying theme being that they are all done by Joss Whedon) and weaves them together, matching them with the perfect clips to express the emotion behind the dialogue. This is an excellent multifandom tribute to Whedon's work, including both his TV shows and his most recent films "The Cabin in the Woods" and "The Avengers." At first glance, many of these fandoms would not seem related at all, but with this vid, Elyse shows the unifying themes that run through all of them. With "Maybe Redemption Has Stories to Tell," Elyse creates a fitting, emotional, and yet hopeful tribute to these fandoms.

art by me&tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award is going to West Coast Rocks- Multifandom by Nancy-Alex!

Ever since Nancy-Alex joined us here at LVI and shared with us her fantastic art work and stunning videos, I knew she would be an excellent addition to our community! I have chosen her first submitted video because it blew me away. Over the past year, I have become fond of dubstep videos and know that they can be quite tricky. Nancy-Alex manages to overcome any challenges from this type of vidding and give us a wonderfully edited dubstep video that exhibits excellent use of the music and its beats, as well as a pretty colouring, and a showcasing of many brilliant fandoms! In my comments, I described this as epic, since I was greatly impressed by these elements, plus the use of textures to set the mood for the vid and the general flow and movement of the video. The slow-motion (and fast-motion!) is a brilliant touch that matches the song so incredibly well, and the song itself is rockin'! Fabulous vid, Nancy-Alex!!
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, we have one more CM's Choice Award - Best Collab Series! There are some amazing collabs here, and we felt that not one, but two of them deserve some special recognition. Our Council Choice Award for the Best Collab Series goes to NoStandardSolutionExists and TheKindredSacrifice's "What If" series!

NoStandardSolutionExists (Nina and aradnea) have made a whole series, using actors from different shows to make a very cool & believable cast. Using great manips and excellent storylines, this series could be a whole new show!

TheKindredSacrifice (Kat and Nikki) made a series called The Kindred Sacrifice, and this is a look at that series if things had been different! Gorgeous coloring, excellent manips, and great storytelling make this series very interesting!

Great work, NoStandardSolutionExists and TheKindredSacrifice!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats everyone, there were so many brilliant vids in this year's tourney!! Thank you to anyone who voted for my vids, I am so thrilled to have won a couple categories this year!!

Thank you so much Emma for the banners, they are beautiful
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, everyone! This was an awesome tourney and so much fun!

art by me&tammy
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all the winners! There were some awesome vids in this tourney! And thanks to everyone who voted for mine! ^_^

icon by becca
aradnea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so SO much!

I am really happy that I placed, especially since I was up against so many great videos and vidders.

You guys rock, seriously!

And let me just say, that the CM's Choice for our series means the world to me. We often feel like there's no one watching, but hell, we do it anyway, cause it's so much fun It's good to know that LVI *is* watching.

Congrats to all the winners and all the participants!

And Emma, I love your banners. They're lovely <3 Thank you.

xSoppySofax
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations everyone

i love my new shiny badges emma thank you

*credit to stuff-and-thangs for the banner
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all the winners. There were truly some amazing videos and vidders this tourney, as always! I'm so proud to be apart of a community of so many talented people!

Thanks for the CM Choice! It means the world to me! <3

Here's to another fantastic year at LVI!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: