Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for input on a song I want to vid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Request for input on a song I want to vid Reply with quote

OK, this isn't a request for someone ELSE to do a vid to this song because I REALLY want to do it myself (if I can pull it off!) but I didn't think the topic really belonged in the vidding help board because it has nothing to do with the technical aspect of the vid.

I've been trying like mad to find a song to do a Locke vid to, and had this CRAZY idea this morning to do it to the song "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz.

I told my boyfriend about this (who is not vidding inclined) and he said it would be completely impossible because "The song is about a ghost and the band's drummer!!!" (sometimes he has trouble "thinking outside of the box, so to speak). So that spurned me on futher and I've decided to prove him wrong by actually attempting the vid !

My problem is, I really want to bounce some ideas off of people and get some other opinions but my RL friends (and a lot of my fandom friends) are really no help because they don't think like vidders. Which is where you guys come in (you're the only people who understand me! *flails*...yeah anyway...I'm in a weird mood today, can you tell?).

I need some suggestions on how to make this vid work, because I think it could turn out really awesome. Here are the lyrics (which I'm not sure are 100% correct, I just got them off a fan page but they're close enough) if anyone wants the song--though I would think that at least most people would have heard it before as it was pretty popular a couple of years ago--I can upload it later tonight once I get home, unfourtunately I'm at work right now and don't have my harddrive at my disposal:

clint eastwood

i ain't happy, i'm feeling glad
i got sunshine, in a bag
i'm useless, but not for long
the future is comin' on
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on

yeah...ha ha!
finally someone let me outta my cage
now time for me is nothin' cuz i'm countin' no age
now i couldn't be there, now you shouldn't be scared
i'm good at repairs, and i'm under each snare
intangible, bet you didn't think so i command you to
panoramic view, look i'll make it all manageable
pick and choose, sit and lose
all you different crews, chicks and dudes
who you think is really kickin' tunes?
picture you gettin' down in a picture tube
like you lit a fuse, you think it's fictional?
mysical? maybe. spiritual, hearble
what appears in you is a clearer view
cuz you're too crazy, lifeless
to know what the defnition of life is, priceless
for you because i put you on the hype shit
you like it? gunsmokin' righteous with one token
psychic among you posess you with one go

i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
i ain't happy
i'm feeling glad
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on

the essence the basics, without it you make it
allow me to make this, child, like in nature
rhythm, you have it or you don't, that's a fallacy
i'm in them, every sprouting tree, every child apiece
every cloud you see, you see with your eyes
i see destrucction and demise
corruption in disguise, from this fuckin' enterprise
now i'm sucking to your lies, through russ
though not his muscles, but the percussion
he provides, with me as a guide
but y'all can see me now 'cuz you don't
see with your eye, you perceive with your mind
that's the inner, so i'm gonna stick with russ
and be a mentor, with a few rhymes
so motherfuckers, remember where the thought is
i brought all this, so you can survive
when law is lawless, feelings, sensations
that you thought were dead
no squealing, now remember (that it's all in your head)

i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
my future is comin' on

(ad infinitum)

So my thoughts I have on it now are for the "useless not for long" obviously flashback to wheelchair!Locke or OfficeSpace!Locke. Anything about being a mentor I'm gonna have some Locke and Boone scenes or Locke and Walt scenes. I have other ideas for "I brought all this so you can survive when law is lawless" (mainly to do with his 400 knives). Plus a few other parts as well. Any lyrics that really don't appear to make sense can probably be easily glossed over (it is mainly rap so not all the lyrics are understandable upon first listening anyway).

Main theme of the vid will be that Locke is fulfilling his destiny which is to guide the others on the island, and that he couldn't be happier about it.

I'd love to know what you guys think (you think I'm crazy, don't you?) and would welcome any suggestions you may have to offer. If I use any of your ideas in my vid I'll give a shoutout to you in the vid credits, and I'll give you cookies .

Thanks, guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for input on a song I want to vid Reply with quote

Ringwench wrote:
OK, this isn't a request for someone ELSE to do a vid to this song because I REALLY want to do it myself (if I can pull it off!) but I didn't think the topic really belonged in the vidding help board because it has nothing to do with the technical aspect of the vid.

I've been trying like mad to find a song to do a Locke vid to, and had this CRAZY idea this morning to do it to the song "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz.

Love thing song and the band--even held a poll of lostshowinfo to see if people wanted this song used. I think Karma Police won LOL--I should get on that.

I told my boyfriend about this (who is not vidding inclined) and he said it would be completely impossible because "The song is about a ghost and the band's drummer!!!" (sometimes he has trouble "thinking outside of the box, so to speak). So that spurned me on futher and I've decided to prove him wrong by actually attempting the vid !
If there is one thing I've learned as a vidder the point of the song has little to do with the finished product. Songs with beats-especially this one can have their own theme and no one would be the wiser.

My problem is, I really want to bounce some ideas off of people and get some other opinions but my RL friends (and a lot of my fandom friends) are really no help because they don't think like vidders. Which is where you guys come in (you're the only people who understand me! *flails*...yeah anyway...I'm in a weird mood today, can you tell?).
Flailing back to end akwardness

I need some suggestions on how to make this vid work, because I think it could turn out really awesome. Here are the lyrics (which I'm not sure are 100% correct, I just got them off a fan page but they're close enough) if anyone wants the song--though I would think that at least most people would have heard it before as it was pretty popular a couple of years ago--I can upload it later tonight once I get home, unfourtunately I'm at work right now and don't have my harddrive at my disposal:

clint eastwood

i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on

yeah...ha ha!
finally someone let me outta my cage
now time for me is nothin' cuz i'm countin' no age
now i couldn't be there, now you shouldn't be scared
i'm good at repairs, and i'm under each snare
intangible, bet you didn't think so i command you to
panoramic view, look i'll make it all manageable
pick and choose, sit and lose
all you different crews, chicks and dudes
who you think is really kickin' tunes?
picture you gettin' down in a picture tube
like you lit a fuse, you think it's fictional?
mysical? maybe. spiritual, hearble
what appears in you is a clearer view
cuz you're too crazy, lifeless
to know what the defnition of life is, priceless
for you because i put you on the hype shit
you like it? gunsmokin' righteous with one token
psychic among you posess you with one go

i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
i ain't happy
i'm feeling glad
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on

the essence the basics, without it you make it
allow me to make this, child, like in nature
rhythm, you have it or you don't, that's a fallacy
i'm in them, every sprouting tree, every child apiece
every cloud you see, you see with your eyes
i see destrucction and demise
corruption in disguise, from this fuckin' enterprise
now i'm sucking to your lies, through russ
though not his muscles, but the percussion
he provides, with me as a guide
but y'all can see me now 'cuz you don't
see with your eye, you perceive with your mind
that's the inner, so i'm gonna stick with russ
and be a mentor, with a few rhymes
so motherfuckers, remember where the thought is
i brought all this, so you can survive
when law is lawless, feelings, sensations
that you thought were dead
no squealing, now remember (that it's all in your head)

i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
i got sunshine, in a bag
the future is comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
it's comin' on
my future is comin' on

(ad infinitum)

So my thoughts I have on it now are for the "useless not for long" obviously flashback to wheelchair!Locke or OfficeSpace!Locke. Anything about being a mentor I'm gonna have some Locke and Boone scenes or Locke and Walt scenes. I have other ideas for "I brought all this so you can survive when law is lawless" (mainly to do with his 400 knives). Plus a few other parts as well. Any lyrics that really don't appear to make sense can probably be easily glossed over (it is mainly rap so not all the lyrics are understandable upon first listening anyway).

Main theme of the vid will be that Locke is fulfilling his destiny which is to guide the others on the island, and that he couldn't be happier about it.

I'd love to know what you guys think (you think I'm crazy, don't you?) and would welcome any suggestions you may have to offer. If I use any of your ideas in my vid I'll give a shoutout to you in the vid credits, and I'll give you cookies .

Thanks, guys!

Your ideas are great so you might not need us at all. My only words of wisdom is don't take the words to the song too literally if at all possible. (this is coming from a total hypocrit who couldn't finish Jay-Z's 99 Problems because of the PUSSY stanza LOL) ANYWAYS Try and find an editing style and keep it for specific beats of the song that repeat themselves--but mix it up. There are up beats and down beats so break it up and stay focused. I fucking can't wait to see this because this is one of my favorite songs--if you need help or someone to vent to i'm your girl.-laura

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... was it necessary to quote all that?

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Laura! Yeah, I'm already brainstorming ways to work with the beats and effects I could use to highlight certain parts.

I'm a little scared because I just got *cough* downloaded *cough cough* Premiere and I've heard it's kinda difficult to learn. Might have to do a "practice vid" first to get the hang of it because I don't want to screw this one up.

I'll definately talk to you, if I'm having any other problems

Also, your use of the phrase "Pussy stanza" pretty much made my day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm a little scared because I just got *cough* downloaded *cough cough* Premiere

that's exactly the way I said it when I got it!! LOL

Sounds good. If you can get that video done well I will love you forever. But I'm no help to you people and your crazy rap music >.<
little punks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Quote:

I'm a little scared because I just got *cough* downloaded *cough cough* Premiere

that's exactly the way I said it when I got it!! LOL

Sounds good. If you can get that video done well I will love you forever. But I'm no help to you people and your crazy rap music >.<
little punks...

Glad to know I'm not the only delinquent here when it comes to where I got my software. I've been using power directer for all my previous vids and have gotten thoroughly fed up with it as it freezes constantly and will not let me preview my vid before I make it (which makes getting timing right a bitch and a half!), also, not sure if you've seen my "Alert Status Red" vid, but the picture quality turned out so bad it almost made me want to cry. Hopefully premiere will allow me to make better vids.

As for the rap music. I actually am not really a fan of rap music in general, just the occasional song, like this one
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That will make a great Locke vid if done right.

Sugestions:
1. Use a lot of those "I know more than you do" smiles that Locke always gives.
2. Shannon's fake death for "It's all in your head".

Can't wait to see the final product!
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're saying you haven't tried Premiere yet??

Oh, you're in for a PLEASANT surprise. You thought the last program was bad...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
You're saying you haven't tried Premiere yet??

Oh, you're in for a PLEASANT surprise. You thought the last program was bad...

Oh no. I'm really scared now *cowers*.

Now is it just difficult to use (because that I can handle--there's plenty of tutorials available) or does it freeze and not do what you want it to and generally make you want to kill things? Because if it does maybe I need another program

Meh, oh well, I'll give it a shot. I'm definately going to do a practice vid first though to get the hang of it, because I don't want to mess up something I actually plan on showing to people
Astarte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had another program then Premiere, plus I'm pretty hardcore the 'learning by doing'-type, but let's just say, I work with Premiere for over three years and I still learn something new in every vid. So have fun!

To your song choice, I think it will make a great Locke video. The song works excellent with his character and the beats are awesome to work with. Can't wait to see a Lost Locke-one...

On a sidenote I saw a BtVS-vid to it, it was centered around one episode 4x22 Restless with flashes back and forth in the series history and it was just WOW! But I forgot who made it, sorry, no link available, perhaps Charmax can remember it and help...
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
LOL... was it necessary to quote all that?

as necessary as this bitch!

Anyways--Hobbes we don't like rap-we like kickass beats. There is a difference-unfortunately for me all the rap beats i like are to lyrics that would make my mother cry. Anyways i am a telecomm major familiar with i-movie--final cut pro--and WMM. Premiere is like trying to set up your own cable box. You can do it if you work hard enough, but channels 6-30 are permanently dubbed in spanish. I could be saying this because my episodes won't sort into clips, but ehh. Pussy Stanza!-laura

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Astarte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally puzzled when I read, I think here on the video help board, that WMM makes pieces of your eps. It is a concept I couldn't gasp, how it is an advantage? I was like, okay, I really love to import all my episodes into one project and that's okay with Lost at the moment, but now I know why WMM crashed back then, when I imported all my Angel eps that one time, I was talked into trying it, because it is soooo easy.

I tried. I thought WTF is the program doing and I moved back to my Premiere. I am simple like that. Let me guess WMM2 couldn't handle my 110 eps? Good thing I didn't start importing BtVS also... *muhahaha*
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astarte wrote:
I was totally puzzled when I read, I think here on the video help board, that WMM makes pieces of your eps. It is a concept I couldn't gasp, how it is an advantage? I was like, okay, I really love to import all my episodes into one project and that's okay with Lost at the moment, but now I know why WMM crashed back then, when I imported all my Angel eps that one time, I was talked into trying it, because it is soooo easy.

I tried. I thought WTF is the program doing and I moved back to my Premiere. I am simple like that. Let me guess WMM2 couldn't handle my 110 eps? Good thing I didn't start importing BtVS also... *muhahaha*

I can't stand full episodes not broken up. It takes me a year and a half to find one two second clip I need. Sell me on this astarte! lol-laura

Jake's Twin
Astarte

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just comes down, if you are used to it or not and also depends on your mode of operation.

But for me browsing through the ep, then insert the specific clip and cutting it on the timeline to the beat, sounds faster then browsing through, how many clips does a usual epsisode get split into? And then insert the clips on the timeline, plus also cutting them down till they fit. But like I said, I have absolute no experience in WMM2, just my opinion...
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astarte wrote:
I think it just comes down, if you are used to it or not and also depends on your mode of operation.

But for me browsing through the ep, then insert the specific clip and cutting it on the timeline to the beat, sounds faster then browsing through, how many clips does a usual epsisode get split into? And then insert the clips on the timeline, plus also cutting them down till they fit. But like I said, I have absolute no experience in WMM2, just my opinion...

totally off topic, but where in germany are you from? I went to Munich in High School and loved it. Laura-who is always interested in out of country fans

Jake's Twin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: