Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Cat Problem Reply with quote

A few days ago there was a cat that was around; the cat looked feral, skinny, and just unhealthy. But very NICE cat; extremely calm and affectionate. And I'd keep him if I didn't have two cats that don't like other animals.

But he kept trying to come in and since I don't now anything about this cat I don't want him around mine.

So a few days after that I asked a family if the cat was theirs because it was in their driveway; it was. They claimed it was a rescue and they couldn't get it healthy. They said they have a hard time keeping the cat inside... Yet it's always trying to come into my house. It did the same thing today; it actually got into the hallway of my apartments; and I picked him up (Because my neighbor had done and the cat was fine) but it scratched me; but luckily no skin was broken. Anyway; I don't know what to do. I talked to the family the best I could and they clearly don't want their animals inside. I remember their previous cat; was crying and crying to get inisde and

I just don't know what to do...I'm bias and don't think they deserve the animal because it's too cold to let it roam around. (It's 40 degrees and could get colder tonight).

I'm afraid someone will kill it if I call the proper authority.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm biased too, but if it was me I'd get the cat in my house, take it to a vet and see what they say, because they should be able to tell if it's neglect or not. I know there are some cats that even when they're healthy they look like crap! Happens a lot with strays. It might also have worms which would make it skinny no matter how much it eats, and be a whinger. My cat cries all day and he's in great health.

But yeah I would catch it, take it to the vet and see what they say. You could take it in and say it was just a stray you found and were worried about it's condition and health. And then if the vet says it's healthy or can be cared for, I'd keep it hidden in my house away from evil neighbours

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could let the cat in my house but my first priority is my own cats and I don't want anything to happen to them. If there is something wrong with the cat I don't want to put my cats in jeopardy.

I tried calling our local humane society but they don't accept strays and told me to call animal control but most likely they'd just kill it.

I'm going to try to give it another weak and then do something.

I used to have a cat carrier but let a friend borrow it they never gave it back and I lost touch with them.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like it has worms.

If you call animal control, he will absolutely be put to sleep. No question. Especially if he looks a little unhealthy. They won't spend the money to check him out. They will just put him to sleep. At least now he's alive and he has a chance at survival, so definitely do not call Animal Control.

Your only other option would be to find a No Kill shelter, catch him and take him there, and just lie and say he is a stray. The only problem with that is, if you get caught somehow, at the very least the neighbors could sue you for damages--even as ridiculous as that sounds, people do it all the time.

As difficult and awful as it is, the best thing for the cat might be just to let the situation be. If they weren't feeding him he probably wouldn't keep coming back to them. If you're really concerned about his health but don't want to take him in, you could buy some disposable paper bowls and a low-cost bag of cat food and just feed him once a day. Or, if you don't want to do that by your door, you can just feed him in some other spot.

My experience has been cats like that will go away sooner rather than later. Unfortunately he may end up wandering off or getting hit by a car or something. It sucks a lot, but Animal Control is a one way ticket to death.

Good luck!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you are going through, that sounds a lot like when I found a stray living under my garage. She was very sweet but very feral. She lived there for a long time without us knowing it until she showed up. What my mom and I did was feed her dry and wet food until she seemed healthy again, mostly wet food for a while. After about a month, she gained some weight but was still feral towards us.

After about another month, we were able to grab her and bring her in, but she hated dogs and we knew that we couldn't keep her.. We brought her to the human society and she found a home within about two weeks.

But the cat you have does seem to possibly have worms, so if you can, you should try and see if u can take him to the vet and find out for sure and then go from there. Maybe look for the next closest humane society to you that takes strays... If your neighbors could let him be like that and everything then they shouldn't have him, and if someone sees what he looks like then maybe you won't get in trouble for trying to find a better home for him. I hope things work out and please keep me posted, I would like to know what happens in the end.

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the RSPCA over here. I did a google search and you have something called the ASPCA. Maybe it's worth giving them a call? Even if it's just for advice. http://www.aspca.org/
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Yeah Paul I'll probably look into that, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: