Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for submitting a video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Tips for submitting a video Reply with quote

Tips for submitting a video

To keep LVI a user-friendly and organized site, we would like everyone to take a look at a few things to make note of when submitting a new video.

TITLE - The title can be anything you want it to be - the name of the song, a shippy name, whatever you like! Please be sure to use correct capitalization and spelling.

DESCRIPTION - Again, this can say anything you want it to say, but please be sure to check your spelling!

SONG & ARTIST - A common mistake is to switch those around, putting the artist's name in the song area and song title in the artist area. Make sure those are in the correct order! Also, if you are not sure how to spell an artist's name, you can find that out with a quick Google search. We have several artists on here that are spelled 4 or 5 different ways, which makes it difficult if you are searching for a particular artist!

To keep things consistent, we ask that you capitalize every word in the song title, such as "Man In The Mirror" or "All The Same".

VIDEO URL - If you are using a Youtube link, please post the full link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bunchofnumbers instead of using a link that begins like - http://youtu.be/ - the site will not embed the video if it is entered that way.

If you are posting a link that is private, please be sure to also post the password somewhere! I have made that mistake many times myself.

IMAGE UPLOAD - Please keep the image name - picture.jpg for example - fairly short, and with no special characters (such as * & or #). Also, make sure each image has a unique name. If you upload an image with the same name as another one, you will end up with 2 videos with the same image.

FANDOMS/CHARACTERS/SHIPS - A lot of the fandoms will appear in the dropdown menu. If you are submitting a vid with a fandom not currently on LVI, just make sure it is spelled correctly. Characters should be listed by their full name - such as Jack Shephard - and ships listed by their common "smush" name if available - such as Skate or Delena. If your ship doesn't have a "smush" name, you can list them with a slash - such as Edward/Bella.

CATEGORY - We will hopefully be adding some new categories soon! In the meantime, just choose the one you think fits your video best.

MATURE THEMES - Use your own judgement here. Take into account nudity or violence, and language! If you submit a vid containing any of this without being marked and the Council feels it needs a warning, we will add it.

This might seem a lot to keep in mind, but if every vidder can take that extra minute to be sure their submission is correct, it will save everyone time in correcting this and help keep LVI running smoothly. Thanks!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really helpful, Heather.

I'm pretty sure I've sent in some vids with the youtu.be instead of youtube. I didn't realize the difference.

I'll also be keeping in mind the image name needs to be short. I think some of my recent ones have been a mile long.

I'm glad to hear there might be some new video categories coming soon.

Macaila
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, glad it can help, Macaila!

Yeah, I don't know why the Youtube thing is like that, just something about the way the site recognizes it.

Every now & then a video will come in with a broken picture, and sometimes it's because the file name is really long, again, I don't know why but the site just doesn't like that, lol.
Ninu
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I've got a question about submitted videos, awaiting to be added to the site - is there a way to check if I've got any awaiting videos? I looked everywhere and I just can't find that option...
I uploaded one last week, but it was really late and now I can't really recall if I finished the whole procedure...

Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I don't think there is a way for vidders to check on awaiting vids. We try to get all vids posted within a day or 2 of them being submitted, so if it's been longer than that, PM a Council Member and they can check!

There haven't been any new vids from you recently, so you should resubmit.
Ninu
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such a quick answer!
I'll resubmit right away :]

Edit: I think there is a way for every user to see if they have any vids awaiting, not sure if it works like that, though... Mine is when I go here: http://lostvideo.net/disabled.php

Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

And that is a way to see it, glad you found that! I thought there was a way but couldn't find it myself last night!
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this overview! I just realized my most recent vid had a long filename for the vidpic. Sorry!

Question...I know we're required to post to two different video sites. I always use YouTube. This time, I tried to also use Vimeo...but Vimeo deleted my vid right away because of "copyright violation" (the song, not the clips). Does anyone know which sites are good for vids? And, do we HAVE to have 2 sites or can we just do YouTube as long as we're sure the link works?

Thanks!

ETA: Does it embed okay if the YouTube link is long and has things like "Feature" in it? The only other link I see is the one you said not to use, the you.tube one.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I only use Youtube because it's the only site I trust to upload vids to. I used to use Vimeo but they started scanning and deleting accounts.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube is the best we have, unfortunately The extra link option is usually for file host sites such as sendspace so that we can still access your video if streaming fails

When getting the YouTube link to embed here, use the one they give you as soon as it uploads (when you get the page that says "Your video will be active here"). I still struggle to find the "correct" link sometimes and that's the only way I know I will get the right one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: