Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (Season 3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to respond to both of your posts and add some comments. I re-watched the episode last night with my mom, and I'm always amazed at how much my opinion can change both on a re-watch and seeing it through my mom's eyes.

Karolina: I'm with you 100% on NC-W! I really began to love Jaime in the books, but NC-W has made me love the character even more. I think he has done such a brilliant job of portraying Jaime's character arc. Just compare him now to his portrayal in season one. All of the self-assured cockiness that you could really see in his eyes has been replaced with so much conflict, desperation, and pain. He is AMAZING! And I completely adore GC as well. She is so perfect as Brienne! She has the perfect features for being made to look more masculine but still being so feminine.

I was thinking the same thing about Arya--that she seemed so much younger in this episode. Gah, the scene with Gendry brings tears to my eyes. I didn't like Joe Dempsie when Gendry was first introduced, but I have a total crush on him now. He is perfect as Gendry. Really--this show has some pretty epic casting. There have only been a few misses. Even the guy playing "Locke" has so many characteristics I'd imagined in Vargo Hoat, except being much thinner, of course.

I have to say, I do not know *what* I was thinking when I first thought the Beric/Hound battle wasn't dramatic enough. I was much happier with it during the re-watch, and my mom's gasps and expletives made me realize it was pretty epic. Paul: I agree, though, on the wound situation. It would have been nice if they'd followed the book more in that regard. I will say my mom was quite impressed and intrigued by his re-birth and scars. She is creeped out but fascinated. I think she's just starting to realize that there's a lot more to that world than we'd been led to believe.

I was thinking it was interesting that the Stannis/Selyse/Melisandre thing is sort of reminiscent of the Romanovs and Rasputin. I do recall Selyse being kind of cuckoo in the books, but it will be interesting to see how far they take that in the show. I kind of felt they were giving Shireen a bit of an out-there vibe as well, maybe to make up for no Patchface? I hope they do write more scenes for her and that she will play a bigger role in the story. Either way, my mom was super intrigued. Good points about the fetuses, Paul! And yeah, Karolina, I noticed the "Edric" on viewing two. So funny!

Btw, about the Tywin/Cersei/Tyrion scene... CD, LH, and PD are EPIC when it comes to showing the dynamic between those three. Tywin plays the controlling father SO well, and it's always fascinating to see Tyrion and Cersei reduced to helpless children in his presence.

I'm so sad that we're better than halfway through the season, but I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episodes!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I completely adore GC as well. She is so perfect as Brienne! She has the perfect features for being made to look more masculine but still being so feminine.

During that bath scene I kept thinking: "Gwendoline is almost too pretty to be Brienne" *lol* because she's actually got a really pretty face and wonderful full lips. But yeah, she and Nikolaj are perfect and they have such a great and fascinating chemistry.

Quote:
Gah, the scene with Gendry brings tears to my eyes. I didn't like Joe Dempsie when Gendry was first introduced, but I have a total crush on him now. He is perfect as Gendry.

Joe Dempsie is great!
He was on "Skins" a few years ago where he played a loser-type of kid with a heart of gold. I was totally in love with him back then and I agree that he does a great job as Gendry, too. <3<3<3

Quote:
Really--this show has some pretty epic casting.

Absolutely!!
You'll probably laugh at me, but I really, really love Stephen Dillane as Stannis. It was similar as with you and Joe Dempsie really: I wasn't very enthusiastic about him at first... and he didn't look like Stannis to me. He grew a lot on me though and nowadays, whenever I see him on the show, he just is Stannis to me. (And I'm probably one of the very few Stannis fans out there, I guess? )

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I really loved the Dany/Grey Worm scene. It was so well done and so emotional! And Grey Worm is a real cutie, too.

I'm not too keen on

Spoiler:

Dany/Daario though. Ugh! I've always hated that romance! I guess he'll be introduced towards the end of S3??

Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
During that bath scene I kept thinking: "Gwendoline is almost too pretty to be Brienne" *lol* because she's actually got a really pretty face and wonderful full lips. But yeah, she and Nikolaj are perfect and they have such a great and fascinating chemistry.

LOL! And yeah, they definitely have fantastic chemistry!

Quote:
You'll probably laugh at me, but I really, really love Stephen Dillane as Stannis. It was similar as with you and Joe Dempsie really: I wasn't very enthusiastic about him at first... and he didn't look like Stannis to me. He grew a lot on me though and nowadays, whenever I see him on the show, he just is Stannis to me. (And I'm probably one of the very few Stannis fans out there, I guess? )

I can't remember how I felt about SD casting-wise, but he grew on me very fast as Stannis, and I'm the same way now--I can't picture Stannis any other way! Also, I have a huge soft spot for Stannis. I just feel like he (like so many others) has just gotten the short end of the stick too often, but I really feel that without Melisandre, he probably would have made an ok king. I mean--can anyone really be a good king/queen? I think he would have been fair and just, though, which I think is about as close to "good" as a monarch can get.

Quote:
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I really loved the Dany/Grey Worm scene. It was so well done and so emotional! And Grey Worm is a real cutie, too.

Yeah, I liked him, too!

Quote:
I'm not too keen on

Spoiler:

Dany/Daario though. Ugh! I've always hated that romance! I guess he'll be introduced towards the end of S3??

Spoiler:

Ugh, me either. I just never felt any real chemistry between them. The whole thing seemed to be purely sexual, and I just never really trusted him. I trust him even less now--because if he ever gets free from his current predicament, I feel like he'll want revenge on Dany.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I just had to share this... this week's Game of Thrones Facebook recap is hilarious!!!

http://www.happyplace.com/23526/game-of-thrones-facebook-recap-season-3-episode-5
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I HATE HATE HATE Littlefinger and Joffrey!!! They're both nasty, evil and disgusting!!!! I literally felt sick after seeing what Joffrey did to Ros

Sorry to say but: Poor naive Sansa! *sigh*
Totally oblivious to Loras being gay (although I think that she may have gotten a bit suspicious when he started talking about her wedding dress ) and bewailing Littlecreeper as her knight in shining armour. Open your eyes, girl!!!!

Oh God, I'm not sure if I can bear any more Theon torture scenes! I've had enough of it really, but it looks like there's no end in sight for now. I think though that
Spoiler:

they'll let him "disappear" for a while - probably in most of S4 - just to really shock the (non-book) audience when we see him again after a while, being a physical and mental wreck.

A positive note though:
I like Jon/Ygritte a lot more on the show than I ever liked them in the books. I feel like they're doing too much foreshadowing this season though, for example
Spoiler:

Ygritte telling Jon to never betray her.....

There were many other quotes like that in the previous episodes. I know that they're probably mainly supposed to be little gimmicks for the book readers, but I think that many other viewers must be getting more and more suspicious and will be paying closer attention to what the characters are saying, don't you think?

Olenna + Tywin = OTP???

What's up with Jojen?? Is he epileptic or something like that? I must admit that I didn't understand all of that (language-wise).

I'm wondering about something with regards to Arya as well:

Spoiler:

WHEN will they finally start the Arya/Sandor storyline??? God, the pacing with many storylines this season is rather annoying. Seeing that they must be at the Twins in 3x09, they have only two episodes left to establish that storyline.
Julia and I believe that the Hound will probably "die" in 3x10... so we'll only get four episodes of Arya & Sandor??? (If not less!)

Argh!!!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Ugh, I HATE HATE HATE Littlefinger and Joffrey!!! They're both nasty, evil and disgusting!!!! I literally felt sick after seeing what Joffrey did to Ros

I have to admit Littlefinger on the show is turning out to be a bit of a monster. Always told myself that he was doing all his scheming somehow for his love of Cat so he was SOMEWHAT relatable? From the scene with Varys I get the sense he lusts after the throne even, as much power as he can get anyway..

I can't believe they killed Ros! Never saw that one coming. Figured they were having her become Varys's right hand woman.

Quote:
Oh God, I'm not sure if I can bear any more Theon torture scenes! I've had enough of it really, but it looks like there's no end in sight for now. I think though that
Spoiler:

they'll let him "disappear" for a while - probably in most of S4 - just to really shock the (non-book) audience when we see him again after a while, being a physical and mental wreck.

The flaying is so cringeworthy on the show! I kinda want to see Theon getting tortured but not sure if I want it to be so graphic.

Quote:
A positive note though:
I like Jon/Ygritte a lot more on the show than I ever liked them in the books. I feel like they're doing too much foreshadowing this season though, for example
Spoiler:

Ygritte telling Jon to never betray her.....

I love them more than the books too. That last scene was epicly romantic if a tad cheesy but they sold me on it lol

Quote:
Olenna + Tywin = OTP???

Haha. It pissed me off that Tywin got the upperhand though but let's put it down to the Queen of Thorns having an off day? lol I thought for a second that Loras would actually join the Kingsguard after all.

Quote:
What's up with Jojen?? Is he epileptic or something like that? I must admit that I didn't understand all of that (language-wise).

Yeah. I think he is epileptic in the books too. They said it was because of the visions and they make his body convulse.

Quote:
I'm wondering about something with regards to Arya as well:

Spoiler:

WHEN will they finally start the Arya/Sandor storyline??? God, the pacing with many storylines this season is rather annoying. Seeing that they must be at the Twins in 3x09, they have only two episodes left to establish that storyline.
Julia and I believe that the Hound will probably "die" in 3x10... so we'll only get four episodes of Arya & Sandor??? (If not less!)

Argh!!!

Spoiler:

Yeah there's not much time to get to that.. I'm sure we will get a few scenes with them interacting before they get to the RW.

Did you notice Melisandre's line to Arya about her having different coloured eyes? That has to be a reference to when she becomes a faceless man. Love that they are foreshadowing stuff so far into the future.

I'm actually liking that they are using Gendry instead of Edric Storm because it promotes a side character to a more important story arc. It should be interesting to see him interact with Stannis, Davos, Shireen etc.

How awesome was climbing the wall? It looked amazing. It was really scary when that ice was cracking I was watching the extras video for the show and they actually built a 50 foot wall of ice for them to climb up which is pretty awesome in itself.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spoiler:

Did you notice Melisandre's line to Arya about her having different coloured eyes? That has to be a reference to when she becomes a faceless man. Love that they are foreshadowing stuff so far into the future.

Ooohhhh, good catch, Paul!!!
I was all like during that moment but it makes perfect sense! At first I thought it would be some kind of reference to

Spoiler:

the dead Starks / the Starks soon to die (Ned, Robb, Catelyn) - or maybe the wolves. Then I noticed that I don't know what eye colour Ned, Robb and Catelyn have... so... ummm...

Your theory sounds great!

Also, I thought that the scene with Melissandre, Beric and Thoros discussing the whole re-birthing thing was pretty cool, seeing that
Spoiler:

Melissandre bringing Jon Snow back to life in Book 6 is certainly an option... unless Jon used the warging trick, that is.

Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings about this episode are kind of all over the place. For the most part I really loved it!

First, I am with you about the Theon torture scenes, Karolina! All of that was hard enough to get through in the books, but *seeing* and *hearing* it is something else entirely. Not to mention the fact that he was already pretty broken by the time we saw him in the books. It's difficult seeing that breaking occur. I closed my eyes through most of it, tbh.

I kind of thought Melisandre might go looking for Gendry, but at first I was displeased when she showed up at the Hollow Hill. I just didn't like the mingling of two entities that feel separate to me, but it grew on me as it played out. I loved when she told Arya they would meet again.
Spoiler:

I feel certain that this was foreshadowing for the books as well. Also, Steven and I took her comment about the different colored eyes quite differently. We took it as she was seeing the eyes of the people Arya is going to kill someday.

Something else I ended up really liking about Melisandre showing up at the HH is that it gave us a little background into Thoros that the show couldn't have given us otherwise. I don't even remember if we got that in the books, so that was nice. It is going to be mega interesting to see where Gendry's storyline goes now... OMG...
Spoiler:

What if Melisandre realizes she was wrong about Stannis being AA/TPTWP, and that he was just a means to discovering Edric/Gendry, the REAL AA/TPTWP! Maybe?

I was sooo sad with how Ros met her end. However, in a way I was glad for it because I think the scene with Margaery and Joffrey waving to the people may have given some viewers the wrong impression. My brother was quite pleased that he was turning around and seeming like he could be redeemable. So, if nothing else that will serve as a nice exclamation point on the fact that Joffrey is completely and utterly terrible and evil. That whole scene furthers my belief that
Spoiler:

Joffrey will die by the crossbow. Maybe Tywin still will, too, but at this point they've put so much significance on Joffrey and the crossbow, I can't see it not playing a role in his death. It would be weird, too, to give him all that significance with the crossbow, then have him choke to death, then later have Tyrion kill Tywin with it. I kind of hate all the changing around, but I'm sure it will be EPIC if they kill Joffrey with it instead.

It was great to see Littlefinger and Varys in another throne room scene. Those are always great. I think my favorite part of the episode was Littlefinger's "climb" narrative while showing that other stuff. So well done!

Poor naive Sansa! I also think there was a glimmer of realization there about Loras when he started talking about dress details. Not that the realization mattered to the story at all, except maybe to show that she's not as naive as she used to be. Maybe some part of her is finally learning to be skeptical. I think this "Tyrion situation" is definitely the point where Sansa accepts that there will be no fairytale ending for her. (But also good because I think right now she needs to believe that so she can grow in the way she needs to. ) I really wish we had gotten to see Tyrion tell her about their engagement, though.

I'm with you two on Jon and Ygritte. Karolina,
Spoiler:

good point about Melisandre's chat about the re-birthing and potential significance here.

Did you both watch the trailer for next week? Squeee!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I was surprised they didn't show the
Spoiler:

bear

but I guess they are saving it for shock value

I kinda like that random characters from different storylines in the book are meeting like Arya and Melisandre.

Oh I forgot to mention that I loved Edmure taking one for the team which helps to redeem his character somewhat and Robb's apology to him afterwards.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Oh I forgot to mention that I loved Edmure taking one for the team which helps to redeem his character somewhat and Robb's apology to him afterwards.

Yeah, I was glad, because I really like him in the books but TV Edmure is kinda pouty and whiney. Haha... on Tumblr I saw a gif of him pouting with the caption "The Trout Pout".

ETA: Just re-watched with my mom. Some notes:

1) I just realized we never got our
Spoiler:

Sam the Slayer moment. I suppose they might have him save Gilly from one instead, but of course all the victory of looking cool in front of the other brothers is lost.

2) When Sam is telling Gilly about Castle Black, he specifically mentions that Dareon is the best singer. XD

3) My heart fluttered just a little when Jaime put his hand on Brienne's to stop her from picking up her dinner knife. Just sayin'.

4) Loras chattering about the finer points of pins vs brooches.

Crud. I know there was more I wanted to comment on, but that's all I can recall for now.

Last edited by eloramoon on Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:

That's exactly what I was thinking about Sam Julia.. it will definetly happen but worried people won't witness it.

I just wanted to mention how annoying the Blackfish is to me so far. They are trying too hard to make him a fan favourite even at the expense of Edmure and his own character. When he challenges Edmure about not marrying the Frey girl it is very hypocritical as in the books he refuses to ever marry himself. I loved him in the books but not enjoying him so far.

If you want to check out another show with Bronn as one of the leads and the Blackfish as recurring Ripper Street is really good. Look out for guest roles with Jorah, Barristan and cameo from HODOR Sorry typing is bad as I am touch typing.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Blackfish, Paul. The impression I got of him in the books was that he had this "black sheep" reputation solely for refusing to marry Hoster's choice of wife for him, but that he was a kind man with a good heart who was truly honorable and loyal to his family. This guy just comes off as arrogant and rough around the edges.

Thanks for the TV rec, too, by the way!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last episode was slow again.
Spoiler:

Seems like everyone including the writers is just waiting for the RW before something exciting happens.

What I liked: Lines from the book! There was loads of lines taken straight from the novels. Loved Jon and Ygritte's exchange "If we die we'll die but first we live" was great. Is it just me or has Kit's acting really improved?

The Theon torture scenes verges on torture porn but I really enjoyed them. I was glad they didn't show anymore of the gelding. The actor playing boy is fantastic as is Alfie Allen so I really enjoy those scenes just not so much when it's a bit gruesome lol

Dany scene was amazing. The way she spoke to the Yunkai guy had me cheering and simultaneously wondering why she doesn't just head off on the boat they gave her and not treat people so coarsely. She might be on a righteous course but she is being a right jerk about it.

Melisandre and Gendry interacting infront of the Blackwater broken ships was epic.

HODOR. We got another Hodor which cracked me up hehe

What I didn't like: Jaime and Brienne were stunning as ever but the bear pit scene was far too short for my liking. They should have played that out more.

Tyrion: I love him but do we really have to have a scene with him in every single episode? The Sansa scene was pointless aswell. We knew they both would be upset and they were upset. Big Whoop.

Next episode looks epic though.
Spoiler:

SAM THE SLAYER. YAY

Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Last episode was slow again.
Spoiler:

Seems like everyone including the writers is just waiting for the RW before something exciting happens.

Totally agree. This was probably one of my least favorite episodes so far this season.

Quote:
What I liked: Lines from the book! There was loads of lines taken straight from the novels. Loved Jon and Ygritte's exchange "If we die we'll die but first we live" was great. Is it just me or has Kit's acting really improved?

I was excited to hear lines from the book as well, and loved Jon and Ygritte's exchange. I wasn't sure if it had ever been confirmed that valar doeharis means "but first they must live," but that seemed like confirmation right there.

I'm not sure if Kit's acting was just rough before, or whether he just hadn't had an opportunity to show a range of emotion. He started out good before Jon joined the NW, but they he had to be so pouty and grim all the time. It's nice to see him smiling, laughing, and more animated.

Quote:
The Theon torture scenes verges on torture porn but I really enjoyed them. I was glad they didn't show anymore of the gelding. The actor playing boy is fantastic as is Alfie Allen so I really enjoy those scenes just not so much when it's a bit gruesome lol

Ugh, I agree! I couldn't watch most of it. I was upset that he gave into those women because I knew what was coming, and he should have, too. I guess it wouldn't have stopped the inevitable.

Spoiler:

It's weird because we're definitely getting to a point where things are being revealed that happen in book five (Steven hasn't read it yet and didn't know that Theon is gelded) and things that will happen in books six and seven are being foreshadowed/given away (Arya and Melisandre potentially crossing paths again, Jeyne Westerling being pregnant, probably). Which, btw, I was very interested in the fact that Talisa is pregnant. It will be interesting to see whether they just included that for dramatic effect and she dies at the RW, or if she escapes and is rumored to be pregnant like Jeyne.

Quote:
Dany scene was amazing. The way she spoke to the Yunkai guy had me cheering and simultaneously wondering why she doesn't just head off on the boat they gave her and not treat people so coarsely. She might be on a righteous course but she is being a right jerk about it.

That was SO amazing! I'm with you, though--I thought she should just take the boats and conquer Westeros, then come back and deal with the slave situation when she has a strong command of the Seven Kingdoms.

Quote:
Melisandre and Gendry interacting infront of the Blackwater broken ships was epic.

SO EPIC! Although, I do worry about what they're going to do with him. I'm confused because
Spoiler:

the preview made it look like they had him strapped down and were taking blood from him. I hope that's all the harm that will come to him. I'm hoping Davos will eventually help him escape like Edric or something.

Quote:
What I didn't like: Jaime and Brienne were stunning as ever but the bear pit scene was far too short for my liking. They should have played that out more.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one disappointed with this scene. I don't remember exactly how it plays out in the books, but it was SO much more epic and heroic. If you're going to name an episode after a scene, it'd better be good, and this fell flat.
Spoiler:

I thought the Rains of Castamere was a strange choice for end music, too. I feel like they've overused it, and I worry they either won't use it or it'll be overdone by the time it's really needed.

Quote:
Tyrion: I love him but do we really have to have a scene with him in every single episode? The Sansa scene was pointless aswell. We knew they both would be upset and they were upset. Big Whoop.

Agreed. Although, it's always nice to see Bronn and it was interesting that they established the fact that Tyrion is not disinterested in Sansa. And, Steven thinks that in the scene with Shae
Spoiler:

the gold chain he gave her is going to take the place of the hand's chain which they don't have in the series. Interesting thought.

I was sooooo excited that Sandor finally caught Arya.
Spoiler:

Although, with only three episodes left this season, we won't get much time with them. I'd imagine at least some time will be dedicated to her going to Maidenpool and getting on a boat.

Quote:
Next episode looks epic though.
Spoiler:

SAM THE SLAYER. YAY

It really does! Can't wait. And about the spoiler--YAY!!!

Edited to add: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this analysis of the "goodbye scene" between Jaime and Brienne at Harrenhal:

http://balladedutempsjadis.tumblr.com/post/50387361538/i-dreamed-of-you-show-version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: