Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Providers Monitoring Your Activity by July 2012!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Internet Providers Monitoring Your Activity by July 2012!!! Reply with quote

Has everyone heard about this dreadful news? How does that affect us vidders, fanart makers, and fanfic writers?

---

All U.S. Internet Providers will be policing downloads by July 12, 2012

"File-sharers, beware: By July 12, major US Internet service providers (ISPs) will voluntarily begin serving as copyright police for the entertainment industry, according to Cary Sherman, chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The so-called “six-strikes” plan is said to be one of the most effective anti-piracy efforts ever established in the US."

The article goes on to give details. After six notices, internet providers will decide to throttle a person's internet speed, or cut it off altogether. I don't know if they will crack down on torrents only, or if it is up to the internet provider. I get the sense it is up to the internet provider. So some people could get away with downloading non torrents, while others might get their internet service cut off. I urge you to click it and read, as we all know people who download.

No more downloading eps of your favorite shows for vidding, gifs, or fanfiction art. No more downloading screencaps possibly. I'm so sorry my friends. I don't even know if BT Guard will work to protect you, but I would google it if I were you. It is a professional service that supposedly can protect you from the invasive eyes of your internet provider.

Just, my friends, please make each other aware. Please be aware of the date JULY 12TH. Mark your calendar and double check with your internet provider by then. If you start receiving notices of downloaded activity, this is why. And your internet service could be throttled or cut off.

Fox News confirms this:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/17/us-isps-become-copyright-cops-starting-july-12/

Youtube video explaining this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OG0R-yS-c
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I heard about this. I am disgusted and horrified. I have no idea how badly this will affect us.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest emaling your local elected official and complaining about it. It really does work if done in large numbers.

Just to confirm this is U.S. only so don't worry about it if you live outside.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am worried and I live outside! Surely this affects us somehow?? Especially if it means blocking/deleting sites in the US.
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. I am just glad it's US only. The whole reason I download is I can't watch the shows i like legally because I'm not in the US.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't effect me...I don't do it anymore, I get my music through iTunes or Emusic. And I almost can't blame them. They just don't want to get into trouble.

But it's already being done. My friend said after she downloaded her internet provider shut off her computer/cable and made her take a class on illegally downloading.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's not just music, is it? It's video clips and perhaps even pictures too, right?

This will just devastate fandom completely. No more fanvids, fanart, fanmixes. I don't even know what I would do, fandom is my happy place.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the major problem is moviee adn TV show downloding more then music. Though music's a part of it I think this started because of heavy downloading of TV shows/movies. And I think a bigger reason is because majority if the websites pimp out the fact that you can download from them.

It's like someone who makes fake IDs putting an ad in the paper that they make fake IDs. Of course they're going to get caught.

I don't think it's going to be pictures; but you never know. I think internet providers SHOULD have to let their customers know...what this means. Does it mean pictures...that sort of a thing.

I don't think it's going to stop vidders/fan art.
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke wrote:
I don't think it's going to be pictures; but you never know. I think internet providers SHOULD have to let their customers know...what this means. Does it mean pictures...that sort of a thing.

I don't think it's going to stop vidders/fan art.

I hope you're right, Brooke!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From:http://www.euractiv.com/infosociety/businesses-plead-correct-understanding-acta-news-511295

Quote:
Many fears expressed by protestors are related to the internet and the censoring of users and the attacking of end users. Out of the 45 articles contained in the ACTA agreement, 44 have "nothing to do with online enforcement", she said.

"Only one section deals with enforcement in the digital environment, and within it, there is one provision on infringement. What it says is that enforcement measures that apply offline can apply online."

Li compared a physical store that sells counterfeit goods, like toothpaste or batteries, to websites selling the same kinds of products. ACTA says that if law-enforcement authorities can take action against physical stores, they should be able to do the same on an online store, she insisted.

"It's not about file sharing. There is nothing that says that internet providers need to monitor users, or that a person who puts a link to his favourite song on Facebook is going to get arrested. There is nothing in ACTA about that," the INTA representative said.

Hardy also defended the accord. "There is nothing in ACTA about internet filtering, nothing about domain name blocking, nothing about 'three strikes' [internet disconnection in case of repeated offenses], nothing about internet censorship," he said.

"And nothing on searches on laptops," Schneider added, referring to the widespread expectations that customs authorities would check personal computers or music players for unlicensed software or content.

Li added that contrary to rumours, internet service providers would not be required to spy on their clients. ACTA actually limits the liability of ISPs, she said.

I have spent hours and hours online trying to find any official declaration that things like photos, fan art, fan videos, and fan fiction will be affected. So far all I'm seeing is speculation and panic. Anything official is leaning toward the side of that stuff not being affected at all, as in the above statement. This gives me hope that for us nothing will really change.

With July only a few months off, I really have to believe we'd already be seeing a massive take down of fan videos on YouTube, and copyrighted photos on sites like Tumblr and Pinterest, if any of that stuff was going to be a problem.

If anything, I think the major concern will be for online stores (as mentioned above) selling knock offs of copyrighted things--which could include people selling fan-related items on sites like Cafe Press or Etsy. But again, no indication that it would include things like photos and fan videos. It's possible that ACTA will be used to go after people who upload movies/tv/music and people who download those things significantly, but we shouldn't be doing that anyway, because that's illegal even without ACTA.

So, my feeling is that we shouldn't panic about this. Web sites and ISP's are going to have to be honest with their users as far as what could get them into trouble. They can't just have all of these phantom rules and start arresting people without ever clarifying that people know what could get them in trouble. So we'll have to keep an eye out on sites like YouTube, Tumblr, Pinterest, our ISP's, etc. over the coming months to see what, if anything, they say about it. But in the meantime, I don't think we should stress too much.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think they will also monitor downloading of illegal videos/songs. (I mean copyrighted and illegal downloading) Because like I said previous my friend was already stopped by her internet provider and her internet was shut off for downloading illegal songs. She had to do something...like sign an agreement that she wouldn't download anything again.

Like I think if a singer puts a song on his site for free you are in the clear. Or something like that.

I agree Julia; we need to know what we can and cannot do here. Because you can't give us something vague like this and then take action.
Athena Alexandria
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really that concerned. Here in Australia we're still on capped plans so basically the more data/bandwidth you intend to use, the more you pay for your connection. I'm pretty sure most ISPs are aware that the only reason a noncommercial user would need 400GB a month is to download large video files so clamping down on that kind of usage (and effectively forcing people to take out smaller plans) would be biting the hand that feeds them. I can't really see why they would do that when they can make a lot more money by just turning a blind eye to the problem.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can moniter what people download then why can't they stop hackers from breaking into personal or company computers?

Me personally there's more going on here that we need to worry about and downloading just isn't one of them. For example another school shooting yesterday occured at a college.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to keep calm and believe that not THAT much is going to change. If nothing else, it'll probably be harder to find links to download things, but I highly doubt the FBI is going to start coming after everyone who's ever downloaded something illegally. I feel like they have bigger things to worry about than somebody who downloaded the latest episode of Doctor Who.

Though honestly, I don't do all that much illegal downloading anymore anyway. Most of the shows I miss when they air I can watch on hulu...which is good, but not helpful for people outside of the States.

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's going to be a warning; a warning; and then the internet provider will shut people's internet access's down. Like what happened to my friend.

But I agree I think the FBI and whoever else has more things to worry about then Sandy Johnson downloading an episode of Supernatural.

I also don't do that much downloading. I either wait for the DVD or I watch it on Hulu.

I think the biggest problem for people who live outside of states is getting the things to download since most of it comes from within the states; at least TV show downloads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: