Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March Contest Information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: March Contest Information Reply with quote

March 2012
Contest: Leap to the Big Screen
Deadline: March 31 - extended until April 3rd!

Have you ever watched a TV show and wondered what it would be like if it were a movie instead? Imagine seeing Terra Nova or Once Upon a Time stretched across the big screen while you dive into a buttery bag of popcorn. Which of the show's major plots would the movie focus on? Which of the characters would take center stage? What elements are most worthy of the silver screen? It's up to you to decide, because this month we're challenging you to take a TV show, imagine it as a movie, and then make an original movie trailer to show it off. And by original, we just mean no mash-up's, please.

Generally speaking we are looking for TV shows with at least seven episodes per season, with multiple seasons, and which do not have a movie version or one in the works. So, shows like Firefly, Glee, Arrested Development, and Stargate are right out. An exception would be Sherlock because although it has only three episodes per season, it is episodic and classified as a TV show. On that note, however, we don't want to see any mini-series, such as Sci-Fi's Tin Man or HBO's John Adams, or any made-for-TV movies. If you're not sure about your choice check IMDb and see how it's classified. And, if you're not sure if there is a movie version you can check here and here for lists of movies based on TV shows and TV shows based on movies. With close to seventy years of television trailing behind us, the sky is the limit and we can't wait to see what you come up with!

Most important of all, have fun!

The Rules

Specific Contest Rules:
• - Make a trailer for a TV show as if it were a movie instead
• - TV shows only. No mini-series or made-for-TV movies
• - Use only content from the TV show
• - No mash-ups, AU's, or OC's please
• - Running time should be under five minutes. For this challenge, we strongly suggest the 1-3 minute range.
• - The more creative, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
• - When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "March 2012 contest submission" exactly in your vid's description.

General Contest Rules:

• - Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page.
• - All regular submissions Rules apply.
• - Only one entry per vidder.
• - Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
• - Please do not use Rapidshare or Yousendit as your only hosting place.
• - If you're using Youtube as your primary link, please also provide us with an alternative link. Far too often, YT is either disabled or muted by the time the contest is ready to be judged. Mediafire and zshare are just a couple of the sites out there that can be used as reliable backup links. We do realise that there have been a lot of issues with file-sharing websites recently but if you can find anywhere that you're comfortable uploading to and that is easily accessible, that would be great!
• - Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available to be watched at least until after the deadline has passed. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
• - Have fun!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I'm excited! I have a couple of ideas brewing in my head.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question: The first season of The Walking Dead was only 6 episodes long, so does that mean it's out?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Walking Dead is classified as a TV show and has more than one season, so yes, it's fine to use, Samara. It's one of those rare exceptions where there are fewer than seven episodes in the first season.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Julia!

One more thing: Does the "more than one season" thing mean it can't be a new show that's still in it's first season? Or a series that was cancelled after one season? Or does it just have to be a show that was designed as an ongoing television series and not just a mini series?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I know you said we can pick a certain storyline from the show to use as our trailer, but can we take a certain storyline and like twist it and make it more the focal point then it was-- I guess in a way, make it AU?

It's kind of hard to explain without going indepth about the storyline I want to use and I how I want to use it
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena Alexandria wrote:
Thanks, Julia!

One more thing: Does the "more than one season" thing mean it can't be a new show that's still in it's first season? Or a series that was cancelled after one season? Or does it just have to be a show that was designed as an ongoing television series and not just a mini series?

You're welcome, Samara.

New shows still in their first season and shows that were cancelled in their first season, are both ok as long as they have at least six episodes.

The important factors are that 1) it is classified as a TV show and was conceived with the intention of being an ongoing series, and 2) that it has multiple episodes. There will be lots of exceptions to this one thanks to all the weirdness in the television world, but like I said, if anyone has any doubts just check IMDb. As long as it's classified as a TV show and does not already have a movie version, you should be good to go.

tjmack1986 wrote:
I have a question. I know you said we can pick a certain storyline from the show to use as our trailer, but can we take a certain storyline and like twist it and make it more the focal point then it was-- I guess in a way, make it AU?

It's kind of hard to explain without going indepth about the storyline I want to use and I how I want to use it

I think I get what you mean, Tammy. As stated in the rules, though, no AU's. You can put emphasis on a storyline that wasn't focused on, but the material should be canon. For example, you could do a trailer for TVD focusing on Tyler/Caroline, even though they are not the focus of the show. But you could not do a trailer focusing on Stefan/Caroline since that isn't really canon. (Even if some people did see sparks there.)
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay, so say a storyline that was there, IE: someone loses their memory, if this wasn't necessarily resolved on the show, could we build upon that storyline for the trailer?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we use an actor that was never in the original series in our movie trailer? Because a lot of times in films based on TV series there will be new characters.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy, yes, if that storyline was started on the show but never followed through, that will be fine.

Nikki, we'll get back to you very soon about that.
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikki, to answer your question: If a certain actor appeared once or twice on a show, it's ok to use them in the trailer as long as that doesn't make the storyline AU. However, using an actor that was never in a show does make it AU, which is not allowed for this contest.

Good luck with your vids!
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Thanks Heather.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deadline for this contest is about 24 hours away! If you need an extension, please let us know now!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I get an extension? Til like Tuesday...would that be possible?
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that's fine Brooke

New deadline: April 3rd

If anyone needs any longer, just let us know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: