Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alcatraz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm, good question. I think violence only puts me off if it happens to vulnerable people or innocents, like the random civillians or cops in Alcatraz. That annoys me in anything, like if they're random henchman too. I know you're not supposed to care about hechman or random background characters who mindlessly get killed off, but it always irks me for some reason. That's why I love this scene from Austin Powers so much, lol. It's supposed to be funny but it encapsulates my feelings on it pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_AFraxj-4

But with Zombies it's fine because, well, their zombies! I suppose I do have to look away at some horrible parts though. I also don't like if the violence is overly gory like in True Blood or something. Sometimes I just feel like they're trying too hard with the goriness and that not only grosses me out but also makes me scorn a little bit.

I found an Alcatraz Main Theme without the voiceover on YT, but it's the wrong music. I want the one used in the opening title, it's gorgeous! Can't find it though :\
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying this show a lot but I have to admit, this past episode was NOT my favorite because of how bloody it was. It didn't seem to have a purpose, other than just to shock the audience. Plus, it seemed like there wasn't a lot of Rebecca and Doc (okay, so I call him Hurley to myself most times, I can't help myself ) and I like their friendship. I really love Lucy, too, and hope we'll be seeing more of her in the future.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear
Quote:
I'm still on the fence with this show.. really want to like it but it does seem very procedural which isn't something I ever usually enjoy these days.

That's pretty much how I felt about the show too. I like Jorge Garcia.So I wanted to like this show but it just didn't click with me.

I think the premise is very interesting and has great potential but I don't like the procedural style.

I also didn't like all the violence.I don't like to watch shows/movies with a great deal of violence. I actually almost didn't watch Lost after the pilot due to all the blood and gore,but I gave it a chance and they moved away from that kind of story for the most part.It doesn't seem like Alcatraz will be toning down the violence anytime soon. I suppose the criminals wouldn't have been on Alcatraz in the first place if they weren't extremely violent.

Maybe Alcatraz is just the kind of show that I have to give time to find it's footing and expand it's mythology. But for now I don't think it's going to be something I put on my must see list.

Macaila
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot of this was too like Fringe, and a poor version of it. I didn't have me hooked at all.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show doesn't do much for the reformation part of prison, does it? So much mindless killing and bombing and stuff. You'd think they'd be under the radar, just happy to be free
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stuck at 1x05. Need to do some catching up but I'm afraid the show doesn't do much for me atm. It doesn't seem much more than a "Prisoner of the week" show.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm getting that feeling, Karolina! Last ep was good though!! The flashbacks were good and had more of Lucy in And there was a scene where the prisoner was talking more about what it was like to wake up in 2012 so I enjoyed that
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. The last ep was better than the previous ones. I love Lucy!! She's easily the most interesting character on the show!
And yes, I also agree about the background story of the prisoner. It was good to finally get some information on how they find themselves waking up in 2012. It still irks me though that they all wake up in 2012 and just seem to be keep doing what they were doing before they ended up in Alcatraz. It just doesn't make any sense!
And I also have to agree with Paul on one thing:
As much as I love Jorge... he's being Hurley all over again, just with better clothing I was hoping we'd get to see him doing a completely different thing, a completely different type of character, but this really is Hurley all over again
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Lucy! And I love how they hinted towards a romantic relationship between her and Hauser back in the 60s. It explains why he cares about her so much now she's been shot I really hope she doesn't die!!

Hmmm. That is true, I suppose. They made him in to a bit of a comic book nerd which seems quite Hurley-esque, perhaps they should have done something completely different. At least he's not saying 'dude' in every sentence
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this ep. It seems like they brought in more reasoning behind the killings rather than just have them mindlessly kill random people for no reason. The theme of dreams was also very prominent in this episode. I wonder if they will expand on that. Why doesn't Jack dream? *Hmmm*

Lucy, wake up already!!!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been keeping up with the show, but I follow Jorge's blog and I wanted to share a link to his Alcatraz blog : http://diegossoulpatch.blogspot.com/

He has podcasts about the show and behind the scenes type pictures there.I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts,but they're probably similar to the Lost ones he did during the last season.

Macaila
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More death, more violence, all pointless, more crazy plot twists

I have a major issue with the characters really. There's been not much development in that department. And none of the Alcatraz prisoners are redeemable at all, so even before the episode starts I know I don't want to bother knowing anything about them

And yeah, the violence is just so disgusting...esp, this episode...
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waaay behind on this.... I think the last episode I saw was 1x06 and now we're at - what? - 1x10? I don't really have a lot of motivation to watch it any further atm because it seems kinda repetitive. I think I'll try to catch up at some point
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just makes me even more pissed off that Terra Nova was cancelled...I liked it better than this
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this episode! Porter helping Lucy It seemed like he actually did like her back in 63, and YAY she woke up!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: