Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Discussions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I LOVE Her Fearful Symmetry! I got to get a copy signed by Audrey Niffenegger the summer before last, because I went to a book reading she was at.

art by me&tammy
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good, it's at the top of my pile and I'm nearly finished Slaughterhouse 5 so should be diving into it soon.
Have you read "The Time-Traveller's Wife"? That is probably one of my favourite books so I have high expectations for "Her Fearful Symmetry".
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have read The Time-Traveller's Wife, and I actually like Her Fearful Symmetry more - but that might be because the genre is more to my taste.

art by me&tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo! Great idea!

I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I was kind of disappointed in it, but I really enjoyed thecreative/unique setting and circumstances. The Book Thief is one of my favorite books ever!!! I really want to read many of the others mentioned here, too.

Right now I am reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. I just started book five which is the most recent out. If you like supernatural YA romances, I highly recommend anything by Maggie Stiefvater. She's a talented writer and very lyrical. My favorite is her newest book, The Scorpio Races. If you like YA dystopian, Matched was good, and Ship Breaker. Life As We Knew It was interesting as well.

Becca, let me know what you think of The Selfish Gene. I really enjoyed The Greatest Show on Earth.

I do have Good Reads as well.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia, I did it: I bought the first book of Game of Thrones
And then I opened it and I was like "800 pages? Are you kidding me???"

I have two other books I want to read/finish first, but then I'll give it a try.

I only have about 70 pages left of Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I must say that I'm a little disappointed, too.

The beginning is really good and strong and interesting

Spoiler:

but after the breach of the fence they seem to be stuck forever on this path and it feels like the story isn't going anywhere.
Thye have finally arrived at this other village but I have my doubts that we will find out any more about the secrets of the Sisterhood or the Guardians.

I have read that there is a second and third book as well but atm I'm not too keen on reading them as well.

The next book I'll be reading is "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness.

I have read his "Chaos Walking" trilogy a few months ago (which is a really amazing dystopian saga for young adults) and I enjoyed it a lot! So I'm really interested in reading more of his books now.

Julia, how can I add you on Goodreads?
Do I need your username or email address or something like that?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, A Monster Calls is great!

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
Oh, A Monster Calls is great!

I'll be starting with it this week. Looking forward to it!
Ness seems to be a great writer

I finished "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" and left a short review on Goodreads:

Spoiler:

Not sure what to make of this book....
The beginning was really good and strong and creative. The Village meets 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead? Hell yes!

Unfortunately though the story started to kind of "slip away" from me after the breach of the fence and become more - and too much - romance & drama than YA fantasy.

Mary's quest and search for the ocean still kept me reading but I was getting really frustrated with Mary's "Harry vs Travis" inner monologues and the group being stuck - first on the path, then in that other village - for AGES.

Another problem was that I could never truly understand the character of Mary. Who is she REALLY? What motifs are driving her? What does she really want? I could never really get a grip on this character and that was rather frustrating!

Also, was it really necessary to do that "The Village" twist in the plot? The story would've worked much better if the author had just stuck with that medieval setting throughout the whole story. When Mary found that book with a picture of modern New York it really felt like "Guh, been there, done that!"

All in all, an "OK" read and I liked the ending, but it has some really big weaknesses and I'm afraid that I'm not motivated at all the read the second book as well

Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, Karolina!

Spoiler:

Yeah, I really enjoyed the setting and basic idea of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but it definitely lost its way toward the middle. There were also some little quirks that were odd. One that drove me nuts was how everyone was always described as "panting" when they were breathing. It made me feel like I was reading a book about dogs. LOL! There was also a scene where Travis was sitting on a hill and she was trying to get to him, and she kept tripping and then she fell for good and was crawling toward him, reaching and slipping in the mud, and it just struck me as so bizarre, I was actually laughing as I read it instead of enjoying any kind of tension.

I was very fascinated by the zombie thing, though, and I am kind of curious to know why their world is the way it is.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought of another good book I read awhile back:
At Swim Two Birds by Flann O'Brien.

It is a strange,silly, slightly confusing book about a young man who decides to write a book. He is lazy though and often neglects writing it.Eventually his characters come to life and they are writing another story.
Soon his characters and his characters' characters have both taken on a life of their own.

It's a really good story.I liked it because it has a somewhat unconventional way of telling the story,even though that makes it a little confusing to follow.

Macaila
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah, I really enjoyed the setting and basic idea of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but it definitely lost its way toward the middle. There were also some little quirks that were odd. One that drove me nuts was how everyone was always described as "panting" when they were breathing. It made me feel like I was reading a book about dogs. LOL!

IKR!
I mean, I'm not even a native English speaker but I was like "Isn't that what dogs do?? Umm, kinda weird"

Quote:
Spoiler:

There was also a scene where Travis was sitting on a hill and she was trying to get to him, and she kept tripping and then she fell for good and was crawling toward him, reaching and slipping in the mud, and it just struck me as so bizarre, I was actually laughing as I read it instead of enjoying any kind of tension.

I was very fascinated by the zombie thing, though, and I am kind of curious to know why their world is the way it is.

Just imagine what the scene would look like in a movie
Speaking of which: I've read that they're going to make a Forest of Hands & Teeth movie!
Not sure if I'm really enthusiastic about it. I hope they won't turn it into some kind of "Twilight meets Zombies" kind of flick. Some of that triangle stuff reminded me a lot of Twilight... apart from the fact that Ryan's writing is A LOT better than Meyer's

Have you read the second book, Julia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: