Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Discussions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Book Discussions Reply with quote

I thought we could use a thread where we can discuss books, talk about the ones we are currently reading, post recommendations etc etc. since a lot of us seem to be a lot into reading.

Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Forest of Hands & Teeth" by Carrie Ryan, as recommended by Kat
I can't say much about it yet (because I haven't gotten very far with the story yet), only that it has the strange, but interesting feeling of "The Village meets The Walking Dead" to it

So, what are you guys reading? Any faves and recs?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and is anyone on Goodreads?

Kat has told me about this other book website - what was the name again, Kat? - but I don't have an account over there yet.

I do at Goodreads though.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it may not seem like the most appealing or sophisticated suggestion, but I strongly recommend 'Fight Club' by Chuck Palahniuk (yes, the book the movie was based on). He does the most amazing things with narrative and his use of language is incredible. I didn't even know you could write like that before. It's a very dark, intriguing and inspirational read!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! I really like the movie and it could be interesting to read the book as well.

Speaking of which, I found a copy of "28 Days Later" (the screenplay) in my book collection a few days ago. I'd totally forgotten that I had this at home! I should take a look at it
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my all-time favorite books are Inkheart by Cornelia Funke and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, and I would recommend those to everyone on the planet - particularly if you've only seen the movie adaptations. (My Sister's Keeper is probably a good movie by MOVIE standards, but the story is completely changed and therefore the meaning of it is completely changed. The novel has a really powerful message that I don't think gets across in the film.)

I'm about to start reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Has anyone read it? I don't know much about it, but I hear good things!

Awesome idea for a thread, btw.

art by me&tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea for a thread.

I would highly recommend 'The Invention of Morel' by Adolfo Bioy Casares.
I read it because of being featured on Lost and it turned out to be one of the best books I've read.

Also from the Lost books I'd recommend 'Watership Down' by Richard Adams and its sequel 'Tales from Watership Down'. Both are really good.

For anyone who has read 'Catch-22' by Joseph Heller ,I recommend the sequel 'Closing Time'.I think the sequel is a better book.

'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint Exupery is another great book. I know it's a 'kids' book but I think it's something everyone should read.It's one of my all time favorites.

I do read books that weren't featured on Lost
Some of those that I would recommend are:

'Lost' by Michael Robotham.It's a pretty good mystery.Unlike many of the mysteries I've read it actually keeps you guessing who the real bad guy is up until the last of the book.

'Nation' by Terry Pratchett is a good book. The ending was a bit of a let down but it's still worth reading.

'Flash-Forward' by Robert Sawyer is worth reading.It's a weird book and the TV show was a little better but i'd still recommend it.

As far as humorous books I recommend 'The Pig Scrolls' and its sequel 'The Pig who saved the world' by Paul Shipton. It's considered a young adult novel but if you have an interest in Greek mythology or Homer's The Odyssey or Illiad I think you will really get a kick out of the book. It's really funny.

I'm currently reading the second book of the 'Drift House' series by Dale Peck.
It's a young adult series, but it caught my eye and the first book was pretty good. If you enjoy adventure stories with a touch of time travel it's a good series to check out.

Well, it looks like I listed like half the library so I'm gonna stop with those suggestions for now.

I look forward to checking back here from time to time and seeing what book suggestions you guys have.

Macaila
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I'm about to start reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Has anyone read it? I don't know much about it, but I hear good things!

I love this book! One of my alltime faves!
I also love Zusak's "I am the Messenger". I like this one even a bit more than Book Thief, but it's a completely different story. It's about life and love and finding out who you are, finding your inner strength and what you're worth. This book is my happy place
Zusak is a very talented writer. I really love his writing style and I can't wait for his next book to be published ("The Bridge of Clay").

Quote:
Also from the Lost books I'd recommend 'Watership Down' by Richard Adams and its sequel 'Tales from Watership Down'. Both are really good.

I've seen the animated movie when I was a kid. It scared the hell out of me
I tried to read the book last year in English, but I only got halfway through. I think I will try again in Germany because it DOES seem like a good read.

Another favourite of mine is "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlo Ruiz Zafón. If you're into fantasy/drama, this one could be just the right thing for you. It's written in such a beautiful style. Here's a quick summary:

Quote:
Barcelona, 1945-just after the war, a great world city lies in shadow, nursing its wounds, and a boy named Daniel awakes on his eleventh birthday to find that he can no longer remember his mother's face. To console his only child, Daniel's widowed father, an antiquarian book dealer, initiates him into the secret of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a library tended by Barcelona's guild of rare-book dealers as a repository for books forgotten by the world, waiting for someone who will care about them again. Daniel's father coaxes him to choose a volume from the spiraling labyrinth of shelves, one that, it is said, will have a special meaning for him. And Daniel so loves the novel he selects, The Shadow of the Wind by one Julian Carax, that he sets out to find the rest of Carax's work. To his shock, he discovers that someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book this author has written. In fact, he may have the last one in existence. Before Daniel knows it his seemingly innocent quest has opened a door into one of Barcelona's darkest secrets, an epic story of murder, magic, madness and doomed love. And before long he realizes that if he doesn't find out the truth about Julian Carax, he and those closest to him will suffer horribly.

Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome idea for a thread Karolina Glad you're reading Forest of Hands and Teeth. It is a weird one to get your head around at first with the setting and how everything is, but I like that its a different take on the whole zombie thing.

Currently I'm reading The Chaos Walking Trilogy which Karolina suggested to me Excellent Dystopian action/thriller; recommended to all!

And, for some reason, I'm still torturing myself with the Pretty Little Liars books. Apparently there'll be 12, and I just read the tenth, so I'm almost done

Oh and LibraryThing is the other website, Karolina! I love the other member reviews And Bec's on there, too

http://www.librarything.com/home/littleton_pace

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
Awesome idea for a thread Karolina Glad you're reading Forest of Hands and Teeth. It is a weird one to get your head around at first with the setting and how everything is, but I like that its a different take on the whole zombie thing.

Oh yeah, it sure does! I totally like that the setting is a lot like "The Village"... but with Zombies in it
I'm curious to read more!

Quote:
Currently I'm reading The Chaos Walking Trilogy which Karolina suggested to me Excellent Dystopian action/thriller; recommended to all!

How's that going? How far did you get with the story?

Quote:
And, for some reason, I'm still torturing myself with the Pretty Little Liars books. Apparently there'll be 12, and I just read the tenth, so I'm almost done

Why "torturing"? Is it that bad?
Or because there are so many parts?

Quote:
Oh and LibraryThing is the other website, Karolina! I love the other member reviews And Bec's on there, too

http://www.librarything.com/home/littleton_pace

Oh cool! Thanks! I'll definitely check it out
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got distracted from Chaos Walking cos my new PLL book arrived, so i havent read anymore yet. But i did scan ahead and see that we get to be in Todd & Viola's heads, and i LOVE that the author gave them each a different font

With PLL, its one of those flogged a dead horse story. It's been stretched out wayyyyy too long. The drama is gone for me, because everything is repetitve, basically the same thing happens over and over. Thing is, the writing isn't terrible, the tension is good and I applaud the author for being able to write 4 completely unique (albeit sometimes eye-rollingly annoying) characters. I feel like she could have ended this series at least 4 books ago and now is just trying to stretch it out as long as she can. Or they paid her for 12 and she's run out of things to write about

But I can't stop reading them. Like how they distracted me from Chaos walking. They're a good bad-book. Not so awful that I had to put it down, (which funnily enough I did with the same authors other series because i felt like she was making the same mistakes all over again). My reviews on LibraryThing are genearlly negative for these books the further into the series I read, but I'm still going for some reason: )

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:

Quote:

I've seen the animated movie when I was a kid. It scared the hell out of me
I tried to read the book last year in English, but I only got halfway through. I think I will try again in Germany because it DOES seem like a good read.

Another favourite of mine is "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlo Ruiz Zafón. If you're into fantasy/drama, this one could be just the right thing for you. It's written in such a beautiful style.

Karolina,I'll have to look into that book. I hadn't heard of it before.

I've never seen the Watership Down animated movie but I can imagine it would be scary to see as a kid. I hope you do get a chance to read the book. The sequel to it is interesting as well because it acts not only as a continuation of the story but also has some 'deleted scenes/stories' from the first book.

Macaila
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished re-reading the Harry Potter books and really, if you haven't read them yet, what are you doing with your life?

When my brother moved out he gave me his collection of the Saga of Darren Shan books. I read the first book, Cirque Du Freak, yesterday and it was pretty awesome.

At college we've been reading quite a few books for my English class. We read The Long Song by Andrea Levy, which is a difficult read - you really have to think to understand what's happening - but it is so good. We also read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle which is the bane of my existence. The lack of correct punctuation and the way the story jumps around is frustrating.

I also read Room by Emma Donoghue lately, which quickly became one of my favourite books ever. I highly reccomend it, it's rather long but impossible to put down.

As for some of my long-time favourites, The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time is an amazing book, as is The Girls by Lori Lansens. Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman is fantastic, although the sequels aren't quite as good.

Also, if you enjoyed the movie, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne is certainly worth a read.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belle MacFarlane wrote:

As for some of my long-time favourites, The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time is an amazing book, as is The Girls by Lori Lansens. Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman is fantastic, although the sequels aren't quite as good.
\

Ooh! I just got The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for Christmas! It's on my list to read after I finish The Book Thief.

I LOVE The Book Thief so far. It's really gripping from the very first page!

If you like humorous books, the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich is laugh-out-loud hysterical. I HIGHLY recommend them. They're kind of crime/romance/humor novels and they are hilarious. ...There's a movie of the first one coming out later this month, but it stars Katherine Heigl, who I think is all wrong for the role, so my expectations are not high.

I also just read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Great book, I can't wait to read the second two! I've seen the Swedish film, but not the new American one yet. (Tbh, Rooney Mara has some large shoes to fill playing Lisbeth after Noomi Rapace did in the Swedish version, but I heard she's very good!)

art by me&tammy
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love anything by Bukowski, Bret Easton Ellis or Haruki Murakami.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to read although life sometimes gets too busy

Over Christmas I read "One Day" by David Nicholls and "Starter for Ten" also by David Nicholls.

The concept of One Day was a little odd at first but if you stick with it, you'll enjoy a really captivating and, most importantly, realistic love story. Even though the characters do stupid things and make some poor decisions, I was rooting for them throughout and my heart was broken a little by the end so be prepared!

Starter for Ten is very '80s Britain for anyone who wants a nostalgia trip. The main character is so awkward that I did find myself cringing for him at multiple points in the story. It is very funny though although I didn't enjoy it as much as One Day (although on the contrast, I found the film adaptation of Starter For Ten to be much better than the film for One Day).

Currently in a pile on my bedside table:
- "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut (started last night)
- "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger
- "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins
- "Small Island" by Andrea Levy
- "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: