Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (books & TV show)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Game of Thrones (books & TV show) Reply with quote

Julia, I grabbed your last comment from my vid thread and put it in here, so we can discuss the show as well as the books in its'own thread

Quote:
Yeah, the story is told from alternating POVs. There are also a lot more characters introduced after the first book. It can be really hard to keep them all straight sometimes, so I have a Wiki bookmarked and refer to it often.

I was doing the same with the show
Especially at the beginning of the show, I had to look up all the time - who's related to whom, who's enemies with whom etc. Oh, and where the "Mad King" belongs to because they never showed him on the show and I kept forgetting what he did - to whom - and who his relatives are.

Quote:
Something cool that this series has in common with Lost is the way you begin to see that some of the good guys aren't that good, and some of the bad guys aren't that bad. You begin to question what side you should be on. That definitely reminds me of Lost.

Yes, I've heard that about the books.

For example that

Spoiler:

Jaime Lannister isn't as bad as he seemed on the show so far. I cannot imagine ever liking him. He's so cruel and arrogant. I guess I'll see soon enough though.

I think I might give it a try with the books.
Are they just as graphic on the violence and the sex though as the show?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Karolina! I'm sorry for hijacking your video thread. I'm so excited that there are other GoT fans here!

In response to what you said under the spoiler text above:

Spoiler:

I will say this: I *hated* Jaime Lannister with a passion on the show and early in the books. Now he's one of my favorite characters.

The books are every bit as graphic with the violence and sex as the series. I'm usually pretty squeamish with gore, but it doesn't bother me in text as much as seeing it on TV does. Alternatively, I think the sex comes across less graphic on the show than in the books, because you're just seeing it, not having it described to you in an explicit way. But, even outside of all of that, I really love the books. I'm so excited for season two of the show to start. I can't wait for April!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Thanks, Karolina! I'm sorry for hijacking your video thread. I'm so excited that there are other GoT fans here!

*lol*
No problem, Julia
I was so excited about talking to other GoT fans about the show myself, too, so I got a bit carried away as well

Quote:
In response to what you said under the spoiler text above:

Spoiler:

I will say this: I *hated* Jaime Lannister with a passion on the show and early in the books. Now he's one of my favorite characters.

Spoiler:

Oh... my... gosh....

Ok, I think I have to get the books because I hate Jaime SO MUCH! I'm curious to see how and why he'll become one of the good guys

Have you read all five books so far?

I can't wait for S2 as well! I'm so scared for little Arya and Sansa though!

Oh, and by the way, SANSA was one of those characters I really hated at the beginning of the show. She was such a naive, spoiled little brat with her creepy crush on Joffrey.
She easily became a favourite of mine towards the end of S1 though when she thought about pushing Joffrey off the bridge. I wish she'd succeeded!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this funny video about how if Bronn and Tyrion were in a buddy comedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NvfDqF0-2yg
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I found this funny video about how if Bronn and Tyrion were in a buddy comedy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NvfDqF0-2yg

Ahahaha! That was too funny! "Coming Soon... just like winter."

Karolina: Woot! I hope you will get the books. They are soooo amazing! They may be long but they are pretty enjoyable to read. I just started book five last night and am sure I'll devour it like I did the others. It is weird to think it will be so long before the next one. It takes him years to get a new book out, though people are hoping it'll go faster now because he has to keep up with the series (which would beat him to season six before book six was out, at the rate he goes).

And yeah, I know what you mean about Sansa. I thought she was a brat but mostly she was like background noise for me. What changed it for me was when her attitude changes toward the end of book 1/season 1 and also her interaction with The Hound. I like that she's kind of the antithesis of the typical princess--she starts out filled with all these romantic notions but reality is much more harsh and cruel. The nature of her role in life sets her up to be no more than a victim, and by the end of season one/book one, I was interested to see how far she could fight that, if at all.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia, please tell me

Spoiler:

that Joffrey doesn't become a likeable character?? I love to hate him and I hope he'll get what he deserves!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series pretty much defined my summer. I adored the show then devoured the books. Although I didn't enjoy Dance as much as the other entries in the series, I still cannot wait for the next book release!! (Though only the Gods know how long that may be)

I totally agree about characters, Martin made me love people that I seriously hated and also managed to make me eager for chapters for characters who once bored me.

So excited for season 2 in April!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karolina...

Spoiler:

Nothing to worry about on that count. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Becca, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I inhaled the first four books, but I'm not as voracious with Dance. I don't know why... I still love it and I'm still excited to see what happens. I think part of it is because I'm reading it on my Kindle, and it's the first time I've read a Kindle book. I think another part of it is there just seemed to be something a little off with the prologue and first chapter--like it wasn't GRRM writing it, or like he was kind of phoning it in. Luckily it got better toward the end of the first chapter, and now on the second chapter the narrative has improved.

Also: I've been reading fan fiction. That is probably not helping my drive to read the actual book. Heehee!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished the first book! And I have also read the prologue and the first chapter of the second book. Kinda feeling guilty now lol but there was no way I was gonna wait till April 1st.

spoilers for what I've read..

Spoiler:

So here was me thinking Stannis was going to be the new Ned and ride in and save the day, but his court seems just as corrupt as Robert and the very likely scenario is that the Starks will end up against everyone :S Me no happy. Melisandre is very interesting, I wonder if she practices black magic like the maegi.

Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! So glad you're done and started book two.

And in agreement with what you said...

Spoiler:

I know what you mean about Stannis. I felt the same way on both counts. Melisandre... =

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the first book and I'll try to start with it soon. (However, when I opened the book for the first time I was like "800 pages... are you kidding me?? ")

I think I spoiled myself BIG TIME while taking a look at the GoT books on Amazon... stupid reviewers who are too dumb (or just simply nasty) to give a spoiler warning at the beginning of their review!

Apparently (possible & major spoiler warning for the last book!!!!)

Spoiler:

only Tyrion, Jon and Dany are still alive of the original characters???

Oh God, no!

What about sweet little Arya???

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw that sucks.. I hate getting spoiled. I have noticed that if I am spoiled well ahead of time, there is a good chance I will have forgotten by the time it comes around so hopefully that will be the same for you.

I had a look at how long the second book is and it's about 70 pages longer or so lol I think they only get longer.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely, although they got longer, I read each book quicker than the previous one. I think the story starts to drag towards the end of book 3 so I had to keep reading to get to the good bits.

I really like Stannis although I did have my doubts about him.
Spoiler:

He is quite Ned-like and in the same way, surrounded by those who are power thirsty. However he has an epic bromance with Davos <3

I'm still not sure about Melisandre
Spoiler:

Her motives seems seriously dodgy even into book 5. Sometimes I wish Stannis would take more of a stand against her ugh.

Quote:
I think I spoiled myself BIG TIME while taking a look at the GoT books on Amazon... stupid reviewers who are too dumb (or just simply nasty) to give a spoiler warning at the beginning of their review!

Don't worry! (Not really spolierish but I'll hide it just incase)
Spoiler:

Although there are lots of deaths, they aren't the only 3 originals left. They do feature very heavily in Dance because the three of them aren't included in book 4 at all (which seriously sucked and in my opinion, wasn't the greatest idea).

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
Quote:

Don't worry! (Not really spolierish but I'll hide it just incase)
Spoiler:

Although there are lots of deaths, they aren't the only 3 originals left. They do feature very heavily in Dance because the three of them aren't included in book 4 at all (which seriously sucked and in my opinion, wasn't the greatest idea).

Phew! I'm REALLY relieved now because I truly believed that I had spoiled myself SO much
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, that's not true at all.

Spoiler:

I'm not even done with Dance and I know that's not true. But like Becca says, no character is safe with tGeorge RR Martin. LOL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: