Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (books & TV show)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that episode was so amazing! I don't think all the scenes were continous, but it felt like it. It reminded me of Children of Men which has a full 20 minute scene with no cuts.

That ship explosion with all the green wildfire was breathtaking. Loved the Bronn/Hound scene/s too Karolina. Hopefully he has more respect for him now he saved his life.

As for the gore.. I have to admit some of the scenes were pretty unbelievable, like the Hound cutting a guy in two and another guy getting the top of his skull cut clean off. It's a small gripe though. All the battle action scenes were so epic.

Bronn singing the song Rains of Castamere was awesome. It really brings the book to life when they do stuff like that. Nice to hear it in the credits too. Love how they are featuring Bronn more, probably because the actor is so awesome in he role.

How cool was it that Stannis was the first over the walls? He just proved himself a bad ass right there and a great fighter too.

I'd already warmed to Sansa from reading ahead in the books but loved her this episode. She's learning how to manipulate people and be cold and calculating, which is cool.

My heart leapt when Tyrion's face was slashed

Spoiler:

even though I know he recovers. I hope he has a permanent scar though because that's a big plot point in the book.

Yay for Pod! He's a funny looking guy but I like him.

As ever the smaller scenes were masterful and captivating. With this episode we got amazing action thrown in aswell which made it pretty much my favourite episode ever
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Sooooo, have you two seen Blackwater yet?

JUST HOW AMAZING WAS THIS EPISODE????

I LOVED IT!!! I don't even know where to begin!!!

I've watched it twice now and am even more convinced that it is my favorite episode of the series so far. It's so dark and dramatic and flat out EPIC!

Quote:
The Hound pretty much owned this ep ("F*** the King!" ), but Cersei, Sansa and Tyrion were amazing, too. Not sure what to make of the SanSan scene, but all those scenes of Sandor's made me very happy I totally would have fled from King's Landing with him!

OMG! Me too, Karolina!

I really loved that he got so many scenes in this episode. It really felt like they brought him forward from being a background character to a main character. I feel like that's a good sign that his storyline won't be swept under the rug in the future.

Having seen the San/San scene three times now, I'm definitely happy about it. I think they couldn't have him kiss her if that was a mistake in the books (and I really think it was) and I also think they have to take Sophie's age into account since she's still underage. I'm not sure if they can legally have her kissing a forty year old man. And like I said, I think if he'd thrown her down on the bed like in the books, it would have been kind of incongruous with him having saved her from being raped. I think the only thing I wish could have been different is maybe he could have at least grabbed her by the shoulder or something and asked for the song, and then she could have touched his cheek while singing.

Quote:
Cersei was pretty good in this ep, too. All the bitterness, all the jealousy, all the alcohol... Lena Headey did such a fantastic job! For a second I really believed she was going to kill poor lil' Tommen, but thank God she didn't!

Yeah, she was really amazing! I was worried about poor little Tommen, too! I couldn't imagine where they'd be headed with that. It was *such* a powerful and amazing scene!

Quote:
Tyrion.... Halfman! Halfman!!! Haha, it's such a relief to know

Spoiler:

that he isn't going to die! All the people who don't read the books are probably freaking out right now

I know! My mom was like, "Noooooo! Julie--TELL ME!!!" Hahahaha!

Spoiler:

I let her think he was done for, for a little while, and then she got mad so I told her she needn't worry. LMAO!

Quote:
The scene with Bronn & Sandor wasn't in the book, but it was a great moment... a bit late and a bit pointless since Bronn & Sandor may not ever have a scene together again, but it was a good moment.

Yeah, I am quite fascinated by this scene simply because I don't understand why it was included. It was great--but didn't seem important to the story at all. I kind of feel like it was there just to have him singing The Rains of Castamere, but I liked the repartee between them. What I think is interesting about both characters is that they are hard men because of the world they live in. If they'd lived their whole lives in a peaceful world, they'd probably just be quiet farmers with families. I truly believe that.

Speaking of repartee--loved the Bronn/Tyrion scene before the battle as well as the Varys/Tyrion scene, too.

Quote:
And, wow, this episode was even more gory than I thought it would be. There were some pretty nasty scenes, eww!

Ewww, YEAH! I really couldn't stomach all the exploding heads.

I can't wait to see what Paul thought about the beginning of the battle. Man--I am still over that! And it was just as EPIC the second time around. Maybe one of the best scenes I've ever seen on television.

I loved this episode SO much!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is pretty flaky here so forgive me for not giving your posts their due response. I found a cast list for new characters in season 3 and it's pretty awesome

Spoiler:

Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

The site I always check for GOT news is: http://winteriscoming.net/

The Reeds are in! Yay
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, some book 3 updates:

Spoiler:

WTF, the Freys have killed Cat and Robb!!! Holy moley!!!!

I mean, I kinda knew/felt that Cat wouldn't make it til the end of the saga, but I sure didn't see that coming! And Robb!!! Not Robb!!! While he wasn't really one of my favourites, I liked him well enough and I thought he'd be in the saga for much longer. He died way too early, just like Renly!!

Oh and all that just as the Hound was about to return Arya to her family. Poor little thing!!!

(And man, Cat's and Robb's ending will be so shocking for those who haven't read the books - and so epic, too, imo.)

And Sam and Gilly are surrounded by a huge crowd of Others. Eeeeks!! I hope they'll get out of there!!!

God, the third book is killing me!!!

Quote:
How cool was it that Stannis was the first over the walls? He just proved himself a bad ass right there and a great fighter too.

Agreed!
I like Stannis a lot more on the show than I ever liked him in the books. Blame it on the great actor

Quote:
As ever the smaller scenes were masterful and captivating. With this episode we got amazing action thrown in aswell which made it pretty much my favourite episode ever.

It was a fantastic ep!! I hope George will write more scripts for the show!!

Quote:
Yeah, I am quite fascinated by this scene simply because I don't understand why it was included. It was great--but didn't seem important to the story at all. I kind of feel like it was there just to have him singing The Rains of Castamere, but I liked the repartee between them.

Well, you never know... Sandor's and Bronn's paths might cross again, at some point? Not sure if that's possible since I haven't read all the books yet, but the books and the show have taught me that no relationships or encounters on GoT are just randomly thrown in. There always seems to be reencounter at some point (which is really cool! )

Oh, and Paul, that's amazing news about the S3 cast!!

I'm so looking forward to seeing

Spoiler:

the Reeds, the Tullys, Mance, Thoros and Beric! Yeah!!!!

Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Paul! You and I cross-posted before. How funny! I was soooo looking forward to seeing what you thought of the ep and you posted while I was typing mine. LOL!

I just can't stop thinking about how much I loved this episode!!!

Regarding Karolina's book three update:

Spoiler:

You survived the Red Wedding! Shocking, huh? I could not believe that!

Poor Arya! She was soooo close!

Regarding Paul's S3 cast update:

Spoiler:

SQUEEEEEEE! Great find, Paul! Soooooo happy that the Reeds are in! YAY!!!!!!!! I couldn't stop grinning while reading that cast list. I'm looking forward to all of them. YAY!!!

ETA: Awwwwwwww!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/game-of-thrones-sansa-sophie-turner-interview.html
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Regarding Karolina's book three update:

Spoiler:

You survived the Red Wedding! Shocking, huh? I could not believe that!

Poor Arya! She was soooo close!

Spoiler:

Yes, it was really shocking!!! I couldn't believe it, especially the way it happens with Cat having to watch how they kill her son just before they kill her, too. Wow, I really didn't expect that!

And now Ygritte's dead, too. I can't say that I'm too sad about it, tbh, but the death toll sure is pretty high in the third book, huh?
I don't think George killed off so many characters before as in the third book.

Quote:
ETA: Awwwwwwww!

http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/game-of-thrones-sansa-sophie-turner-interview.html

Awww, so adorable! I totally adore Sophie! (Just as the other GoT kids, too)
She's very clever and has a pretty good feeling for her character and her character's feelings, development and motifs.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more thoughts concerning book 3 and Sophie's theory about Jon's parents:

Spoiler:

The theory of Lysanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen being Jon's real parents seems to be very popular amongst the GoT fans. Has this been hinted at yet in any of the five books?

Personally, I like this theory a lot. It would make Jon the last Targaryen besides Dany, and her blood-relative. It would also explain why Ned was trying so hard to keep the truth about Jon's mother a secret... because a) that would make Jon the child of either a horrible rape or maybe a secret, forbidden love between a Stark girl and a Targaryen? and b) if certain people knew that Jon is a Targaryen, one of the last Targaryens, he'd be in great danger.

(Would that make it wrong to root for a Dany/Jon lovestory?? )

Also, I'm kinda confused and horrified about one revelation in book 3:
So it was Gregor Clegane and one of his henchman who killed and raped Rhaegar Targaryen's wife and his little girl?
Gods, I felt really sick after reading that, especially since Tywin Lannister described it in more detail than anyone would want to know
Gah, I hate Gregor!!! I hope he'll die a slow and painful death!! I don't know if he's still alive after the fifth book but if he is I want Sandor to come back in book 6 or 7 and kick his brother's a** big time!

Oh, and how cool was it that one of Dany's bodyguards turned out to be Ser Barristan??
That's exactly what I mean when I say that George hardly ever introduces a new character if his or her storyline isn't going anywhere.
Dany sure wasn't happy to find out that Jorah had spied on her at the beginning. I wonder what consequences that'll have for him

I can't believe that it's the last episode tomorrow. I wish they'd do more than 10 episodes per season.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Some more thoughts concerning book 3 and Sophie's theory about Jon's parents:

Spoiler:

The theory of Lysanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen being Jon's real parents seems to be very popular amongst the GoT fans. Has this been hinted at yet in any of the five books?

(Would that make it wrong to root for a Dany/Jon lovestory?? )

Spoiler:

There are a lot of interesting theories concerning Jon's parentage, but this is one of my favorites. There are no hints, really. Just subtle details which can be put together in a variety of ways. I do definitely think that Lyanna is the mother. Jon is even said to favor her (of course, so does Arya so that could just be a general family resemblance). Another interesting theory, one that my husband favors, is that Jon's parents are Robert and Lyanna. One problem with both of these theories (Rh+L=J and Ro+L=J) is that both Targaryens and Baratheons tend to have very specific features. Now--Rhaegar's daughter, Rhaenys, actually favored her mother. So, that almost seems to hint that it would *not* be weird for Jon to take after Lyanna, even if Rhagar is his father. On the other hand, Baratheons are so unquestionably born "black of hair" that it was used to disprove him as father of Cersei's children, and Jon is said to have "dark brown" hair like the Starks, not black, which would seem to disprove Robert as his father. Another problem with the Ro+L=J theory is that Baratheon bastards are a dime a dozen, and we already have a known one in the story (Gendry) so it wouldn't add anything to Jon's character.

A third theory which is also interesting is that Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne are his parents. Ashara gave birth to a stillborn right before committing suicide, right around the time of Jon's birth, and she had a thing for Ned. We know from when Edric Dayne met Arya when she was with the Brotherhood Without Banners that Jon Snow's wet nurse was in the employ of the Daynes. It's possible that Ashara's child (said to be a girl) didn't actually die and was Ned's. But--the problem with this theory is--so what? It wouldn't seem to be significant at all. This, to me, throws a ton of weight in the direction of R+L=J.

It would definitely preclude any romantic unification between Jon and Dany, though, I'd hope, since she would be his aunt. Granted, Targaryens are into incest, but somehow I don't think Jon and Dany would be.

I could speculate about Jon's parentage all day! So glad you're at that point now.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Also, I'm kinda confused and horrified about one revelation in book 3:
So it was Gregor Clegane and one of his henchman who killed and raped Rhaegar Targaryen's wife and his little girl?

Spoiler:

Yep. Gregor and I think Amory Lorch.

Can't wait for the finale!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon's parentage:

Spoiler:

It would disappoint me if Ned wasn't Jon's father. Why would Catelyn be so pissed at him? I suppose she may not know his true origins but I dunno.

Book three Karolina updates:

Spoiler:

You're so right about book three. So many deaths! This season there has hardly been any, none that we can really be upset about anyway. The biggest one has to be Renly but was never a big fan of him on the show.

I was semi spoiled about aspects of the Red Wedding. Just the fact that people kept mentioning it all over the place started to make me wonder about what it was. I figured it was a wedding with deaths but was hoping it was on the Lannister side of things. It still really stunned me when it happened though. People are going to lose it when that happens on the show.

Very excited for the finale! I wonder how they can manage to wrap everyones' stories up though. Hoping the focus is on Dany
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pretty cool theories about Jon's parentage, Julia!

Spoiler:

I'm all in for Rhaegar + Lyanna!! That would be so cool!!

I agree with Paul, too, though: I also still like the idea of Ned being Jon's real father because I always liked Ned being protective of the boy. I also don't see why Ned wouldn't tell Cat the truth if he wasn't Jon's father but - in fact - Jon's uncle. Doesn't make much sense, does it? I mean, she is his wife and why wouldn't he trust his own wife with this secret?

Uuuhoooh, this is exciting!!!

Ploarbear wrote:
Spoiler:

I was semi spoiled about aspects of the Red Wedding. Just the fact that people kept mentioning it all over the place started to make me wonder about what it was. I figured it was a wedding with deaths but was hoping it was on the Lannister side of things. It still really stunned me when it happened though. People are going to lose it when that happens on the show

Spoiler:

Well, I wasn't spoiled about this and I'm very happy about it because it might've taken away that "ZOMG!!! " effect it had on me.
I spoiled myself on one aspect though: I was randomly flicking through the book and I noticed that Cat's POV just stopped at some point, so I knew that she was probably going to die. It was still a huge shock to read how it happens though!

And yeah, people who haven't read the books will totally freak out! I can't help but smile at all the people who have been freaking out ever since the Blackwater ep because they believe that Tyrion is going to die

The Red Wedding will be an even bigger shock, I'm sure of that.

I wonder if they'll take it as far on the show as to show us what the Freys did to Robb's and Grey Wind's dead corpses. That was so gross!!!!!

Ok, so here's one more thing I'm REALLY confused about:

Spoiler:

So I started reading the part about Joff's and Margaery's wedding. Before the wedding, Joffrey gets a sword made of Valyrian steel as a wedding gift and he says something about being familiar with Valyrian steel.
This one little sentence makes Tyrion realize that Joff was the one who sent that murderer with the dagger into Bran's bedchamber in the first book.

Errrrr, what the ... ??
That doesn't make any sense!!!!
I can't remember what Cersei and Jaime said about this - did one of them admit having hired that man to kill Bran or not? Either way - and even if not - why would JOFFREY hire the killer? He didn't know anything about Cersei's and Jaime's incestuous relationship or that Bran caught them "in the act".

That just doesn't make any sense AT ALL to me!!

Help!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that was a depressing finale, huh??

Maester Luwin and Tyrion made me cry! Tyrion, brave little - broken - lion man!!! And Luwin, good old Luwin!!
It really hurt to see Winterfell burning down

Joff and Theon, I still hate you both - may you both rot in hell! - but I love the actors. Guys, you are brilliant!

Stannis and Melissandre are such a psycho!ship... a match made in hell!

Ok, so now I'm wondering (and I haven't considered this while reading the second book): Since Jaqen seems to be some kind of wizard / shapeshifter... is it possible that he is Arya's old dancing master Syrio???

I almost forgot that Dany and Jon were still on the show up until the moment they appeared on screen
Sorry to say but Jon and Ygritte are getting on my nerves!
I was looking forward to Dany and the House of the Undying though. It was very different from what I'd expected it to be like and look like, but it was still great and I was happy that Dany was finally given a somewhat interesting storyline again. S2 was pretty meh for Dany. It was also great to see Drogo again. I giggled so much about that chubby baby with the Beatles haircut!!
And Gods, Dany sure was quite a BAMF during her last scene when she left her handmaid behind in the vault. Pretty harsh, huh?

And that last scene... Game of Thrones meets The Walking Dead??? Seven hells!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:

Ok, so now I'm wondering (and I haven't considered this while reading the second book): Since Jaqen seems to be some kind of wizard / shapeshifter... is it possible that he is Arya's old dancing master Syrio???

I've wondered this too. Syrio did seem to have a different type of accent though, more like Spanish. He could be a different faceless man though which would be cool. I liked how they handled him changing his appearance. It was understated and not crazy effects heavy which might have made it cheesy.

I was very pleased by the finale considering that there was so much to cover in so little time. The House of the Undying didn't disappoint although I could have done with a few more visions in there. It was so cool to see Dany in the throne room and at the wall. It was awesome to see Drogo again. That was a really nice surprise.

Loved that Dany locked Doreah and Xaro up in the empty vault. It was deliciously cruel but fitting. I was glad that they settled what happened with Doreah. She was shagging Xaro all along most probably.

The Jon and Quorin fight scene was kinda lame as it can't have been clear to viewers that he's sacrificed himself for the greater good. It was so less dramatic than in the books too.

Jaime/Brienne <3 So looking forward to more of these two in season three. Brienne again proving she is a major badass.

Loved Theon's speech. It was awesome even though he's a little sh*t. You had to laugh when he got knocked upside the head but then Luwin got stabbed

Loved both Stannis and Theon's musings and regrets. It was really nice to see an insight into how they were both feeling after all the crap they've been through.

Not cool with Ros getting a possibly big 'power' role next season, although hopefully it's just Varys making her think that way. Have to wait and see how it plays out regardless.

All the Shae/Tyrion stuff was great. I wasn't a big fan of Shae for a long while now but she's okay to me now.

The ending was just amazingly epic and topped last season's cliffhanger. The other/white walker on the rotting horse looked so cool. Can't wait to see
Spoiler:

Sam the Slayer.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia, I thought I could take our Sansa/Sandor discussion to our GoT thread because it is – in fact – actually far bigger than just a SanSan discussion.

I think it is more of a discussion on books vs. tv show and Paul may want to join in

I have recently read an interesting – and I think fairly well known – article on S2 and its’ book vs. show issues (and we know there were a lot of issues, far more than in S1).

You can find the article here:

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features/Entry/An_Adaptation_without_Honor/

While I certainly do not agree with everything that has been mentioned in this article, there are some points I’d strongly agree about though. (Well, the thing about Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare and Dostojewski is pretty far-fetched... I just ignored that part ... but there are some good points in the review)

Oh, and don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying that S2 was bad and I sure still love the show! S2 had its’ brilliant moments and – once again – they did an excellent job on the casting (esp. Brienne, Davos, Stannis, Melissandre).
It were the books though that made me fall in love with the fandom, not the show – and I feel like S2 just didn’t do justice to the second book.
We all know that many things were too rushed, that they messed the timeline up all over the place and that they did some bigger changes some of the storylines and characters… not always successfully.

I agree with the author on these aspects (all in spoiler tags because there's some S3 stuff in here:

Spoiler:

Arya: They changed her story so much! While I do not mind the Tywin/Arya storyline (I reckon they wanted to add more depth to Tywin’s character… more on him later though) I really don’t see so much of Book!Arya on the show. The girl in the books is becoming more and more of a fierce and wild thing, a survivor, but also: a killer! They totally took that aspect away from her. Arya was the one who killed the guard when she, Hot Pie and Gendry tried to flee from Harrenhal. While she may have been shocked about herself for killing that stable boy in book 1, the guilty feeling seems to be fading away more and more. She seems to be accepting and embracing what she’s become because she is well aware that it’ll help her to STAY ALIVE. Now, why take that part away from her on the show? Because the audience could be too shocked about a little girl becoming a cold-blooded killer? Meh, don’t give me that…
I also agree that – apart from maybe the first episode at Harrenhal – they have pretty much failed to make it seem like a place full of terror and horror.

Theon: Ok, so the sacking of Winterfell is TOTALLY confusing on the show. Why did they leave Roose Bolton’s bastard out of the storyline? Why was Theon attacked by his own people? Who do they work for? Whose side are they really on? What are they going to do with Theon? And most importantly: WHO THE HELL BURNED WINTERFELL DOWN? Theon’s people? The Northmen who were besieging Winterfell from the outside? It can’t have been Theon, obviously. I agree with the author of the article that leaving Roose Bolton’s bastard out of the storyline wasn’t a clever decision… he is important enough, especially since the Boltons are going to betray the Starks later in the story.

The “murder” of Bran & Rickon: Yes, this I also agree on: Robb’s and Catelyn’s actions don’t make much sense on the show (Robb marrying Talisha, Cat freeing Jaime Lannister), seeing that in the books those actions were deeply rooted in and motivated from the “knowledge” that Theon had murdered the two youngest Starks. On the show, however, they don’t even know yet that Bran & Rickon are “dead” at this point of the story. In the books, Rob & Cat are driven by grief, anger and despair over the loss of Bran & Rickon. Catelyn lets the “Kingslayer” go, hoping that she could trade him for Sansa & Arya… the last of her children (apart from Robb) that she still believes to be alive. Robb, on the other hand, finds comfort in his darkest hour with a sweet and gentle girl and does not – like on the show – just develop a crush on a hot chick. Guh!
Jon Snow: Well, I’m sorry… and I don’t blame this on Kit Harrington. He’s a decent actor and I’m sure he could do a lot more with his character if he was given a chance to. I am more and more getting the impression though that Show!Jon – in contrast to Book!Jon – is a real dumbass! WHY do they have to make him look like a naïve idiot kid on the show all the time? Truly, Jon Snow, “you know nothing!” They also totally ruined the Jon/Ygritte storyline (and I was never a fan of that ship, not even in the books) by making her talk and act like the slut queen of the Wildlings. Guh! I love Book!Jon and I have a strong feeling that he will be one of the saviors of Westeros by the end of the saga. Can you see the idiot boy on the show saving the world though? I don’t. I’d much rather put my life in Sam Tarly’s hands.

Sansa/Sandor: Julia, this is why I believe that Sansa/Sandor may never be important enough on the show and will probably be ignored in S3/S4… because SanSan as well Sandor Clegane don’t seem to be important enough, meh! I really doubt that we would’ve seen so much of Sandor in the Blackwater episode if the script had been written by anyone else but George. I know that I am VERY prejudiced when it comes to Sandor – yes, I totally am because I love this character so ridiculously much! – and my heart keeps bleeding when I see what they are doing with Show!Sandor. They have left out so many important parts of his storyline or – and that is even worse! – have given it to Littlefinger! He keeps getting his lines, he is the one to tell Sansa about Sandor & Gregor etc. While I do believe that they may do well enough on Arya/Sandor in S3/S4, I don’t think there will be many (if ANY) Sansa/Sandor references anymore. They have removed so much of the subtle sexual and romantic tension that Sandor & Sansa had in the books and that’s why I believe that it won’t matter on the show anymore, at least not for the time being. Does Sandor (on the show) really seem to be in love with Sansa? Does she really seem to care about him? There’s a battle raging in my heart over this! I want to see the “unkiss” so badly on the show (e.g. in Sansa’s dreams), I want her to find comfort in Sandor’s cloak and want Sandor to be mentioning Sansa towards Arya, but I don’t really see it happening *sigh*

Also (I don’t remember if these aspects were mentioned in the article):

Tywin Lannister: They make him look like a rather charismatic, not-so-bad guy on the show. Well, I, too, thought he was a rather not-so-bad guy until I started reading the books. And wow! He SO is not a nice person! By the end of the third book I hated him as much as I hate Joffrey. He’s a horrible, cold-hearted person! He’s cruel to his family and dismisses ANY of his children when they don’t as he likes. It’s not just Tyrion. He is cruel to Jaime and Cersei as well. He’s far from being the “nice uncle” that he is on the show… a totally despicable character!

Dany/Pyat Pree: Pyat was a very entertaining and creepy character, I give you that. Yet, I totally do not understand why they did those changes to Dany’s storyline?? Why have Pyat kill so many of Dany’s people, steal her dragons and keep them in the House of the Undying (all of which never happened in the books), just to be burned to death by Dany’s precious little babies? It just doesn’t make any sense to me! The whole point of the House of the Undying were the prophecies Dany was given and NOT to learn more about the nature and importance of her babies. Also, transferring the “Dracarys” moment into S2 destroyed one of the most powerful moments of the third book: I remember being so shocked, terrified and yet kinda thrilled when Dany gave the “Dracarys” order to one of her dragons in order to kill all those horrible and nasty slavers. Even if the scene does still happen in S3 it won’t be anywhere near as powerful as it could’ve been without the “Pyat incident”. It’ll be all like “been there and done that”.
Also, I’m still upset that they have killed Irri off! She may not be a very important character but I liked all the Dany/Irri moments in the third book

*sigh*

Sorry about my “outbreak” but I’ve been brooding over all these aspects ever since the S2 finale and the article didn’t really help much to lift my mood… on the contrary, it only made me feel stronger about the issues I have with S2.

Well, I don’t know… S2 might’ve been better if they’d split it into two seasons as they are planning to do with S3/book 3. There was SO MUCH in the second book they didn’t evolve on or that they have just rushed through.

Having said that though, I haven’t given up hope that they’ll make it better with book 3. Splitting it into two seasons is a wise decision and it will give them more time for evolving on the characters and storylines, I hope *fingers crossed*

Last edited by KajaM on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 am; edited 2 times in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I cooled down a bit
Ah well, I don't know... I just love the books SO MUCH, more than the show anyway, and I get upset easily when they change storylines and characters so much on the show.

Oh, and I'm almost finished with the third book. Only two chapters left. Wow... just wow! More about this when I'm finished
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a detailed review on ASOS at goodreads.

Thought I could share it with you guys

Spoiler:

Wow, just wow! Without any doubt the best part of the saga so far! It starts out as slow and dragging as the previous two parts… and then it becomes a real jaw-dropper!

So, where to begin?? There are simply too many terrific characters, storylines and moments in this book!!!

The moments of gold:
Jaime!! Brienne!! JAIME & BRIENNE!!
I love these two beyond words, especially when they’re together! Their road trip was thrilling, sometimes hilarious, sometimes downright horrific (e.g. Jaime losing his hand or Brienne’s cage fight with a bear). Brienne is simply one of the most wonderful characters in the saga. Yes, she is stubborn and sometimes doesn’t appear to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but she is kicka**, noble and loyal (yeah, sometimes too loyal for her own damn good!!). She seems to be bringing the best out of Jaime… without even really trying to! I could never really make up my mind whether I wanted to see these two fight or make out *lol* I can’t possibly wait to see Gwendoline and Nikolaj act the hell out of this road trip together on the show!

Jaime!!
I just HAVE TO give him some extra credit here. I despised that character in Book 1 and most of Book 2 for being so violent, ruthless and full of himself… and then George easily managed to totally mess up my feelings towards this character! Jaime is full of flaws, yes he sure is, but he is also full of (self-)doubts and regrets and guilt. George has managed to present a completely different side of Jaime Lannister, and Jaime – to my own surprise – became a favourite of mine in the third book!

Arya & Sandor!!
The Hound has finally met his true master! *lol* OMG, so good! In contrast to the second book – where Arya’s storyline was rather meh, except when Jaqen was around – I couldn’t wait for the next Arya chapter to come in the third book. Arya & Sandor are probably the oddest “pairing” in ASOS (besides Jaime & Brienne) and once again I can’t possibly wait to see this on the show! If the producers give them a chance to, I’m sure that Maisie and Rory will leave us all in awe! Arya is becoming quite a BAMF in ASOS, and a killer besides, and the Hound just gets under your skin. Sandor is easily one of my favourite characters of the entire saga so far. He’s rough and coarse and violent, but there’s so much more to him than meets the eye! His love for Sansa is deeply rooted, I’m quite sure of that, and all he tried to do – he REALLY tried to do – in ASOS was to keep Sansa’s sister alive and return her to her family. It shook my little fangirl heart when he spoke of how Robb would take him into his service and make him a Lord once he’s brought Arya home safely (wishful thinking much, Mr. Clegane? *lol*). Or when he was about to give Arya back to her mother at the Twins and then the Freys murdered Robb & Catelyn (Gahhhh!! More on that later!). Or when he lay there “dying” (though, apparently, he isn’t dead at all) and sobbing over all his regrets, like killing the butcher’s boy and not having been able to protect Sansa better.
Should we see Sandor again in the saga – and I don’t have any doubt that we will! – he will be a different man, a better man, and he will yet have an important role to play.

Sansa
Well, since we were already talking about Sansa as well, let me just say that I cannot praise the girl enough for being so strong and brave (mentally), especially after all she’s been through. Being betrothed to the evil, yet craven little git Joffrey, being married to Tyrion (though this was still one of the “better” things to happen to her), being stuck at the Eyrie with her horrible aunt, her nasty cranky little nephew and Littlefinger (aka the world biggest creep!) is sure more than enough to make even the strongest, grown-up woman break on the inside. Sansa, a girl of only – what? – thirteen or fourteen years (?) at this point of the saga remains strong and brave as ever though and, on the contrary, even seems to grow bolder as can be seen from moments like her pushing Littlefinger away as he tries to kiss her (arghhh!!!), “beheading” Robert’s doll and talking back to her horrible aunt. Sansa has a different kind of courage than, for example, Arya or Brienne but it doesn’t make her any less an astounding and courageous character! I have a strong feeling that Sansa will be the savior of the Stark family in the end. Oh, and I also still have to mention that Sansa building miniature Winterfell out of snow was one of the most beautiful, most heart-breaking moments in ASOS! I was all teary-eyed!!

Berric Dondarrion & the Red Viper
I have to name them here together because – OMG! – they’re both totally amazing BAMFs!!! Their fights against the Cleganes were simply epic, especially the Viper’s fight against Gregor! If only Oberyn hadn’t died in this fight… he sure would’ve become a favourite of mine!

Samwell Tarly
Sam, my dear Sam! *huggles* You’re a freaking hero, a clever plotter, a true friend… and you’re not even in the slightest aware of how awesome you truly are!! Sam and Gilly are so much geek!love, too! <3<3<3

Jon Snow
I really appreciate that George gave him some big moments to shine towards the end of ASOS. Seeing him wage a war in his heart between choosing Winterfell or choosing the Wall was a really fine moment and I knew – or hoped – that he would choose the Wall because this is where he belongs, with his black brothers. I have a strong feeling that Jon – just like Sansa – will be a key figure in the rest of the saga and – possibly – the saviour of Westeros in the battle against the Others. First though, I want him to kick Janos Slynt’s a**!! *lol*

The Red Wedding
OMG what?? Are you kidding me?? If you thought that Ned Stark’s death at the end of Book 1 was already the most shocking moment of the saga, you sure haven’t been to the Red Wedding yet! The murders of Robb and Catelyn Stark left me speechless and utterly shocked! Period.

Catelyn!!!
Ok, so and if you thought that the Red Wedding was the most shocking moment of the saga so far, than you haven’t met Zombie!Cat – goddess of vengeance – yet!!

Joffrey’s death
It sure doesn’t fall short of the shock I had over the events of the Red Wedding! I was – and I’m sure I’m not the only one here – expecting someone to save Joffrey in the last second and I was really puzzled and couldn’t believe it at first that he was really dead! It’ll be such a WTF! moment on the show and although I truly and deeply hate Joffrey, I will miss Jack Gleeson greatly! The kid’s an amazing actor!

The meh!moments:
Joffrey and Bran
Well, I’m sorry but I didn’t like the revelation of Joffrey being responsible for the attempted murder on Bran at all! We already knew that the kid was downright evil and I would’ve much preferred for Cersei or Jaime (or Tywin) to be responsible for what happened to Bran.

Dany
When I started reading the books I was very sure that Dany would be THE key figure in the GoT saga. While I still like to believe so, I’m a bit disappointed with where her journey’s been going in Book 2 and 3. I know that she – like so many others – is a flawed character. She is still very young, she still has a very long way to go, she still has a lot of things to learn (and a lot of mistakes to make) but her story is dragging on without any light at the end of the tunnel – or so it seems. As much as I loved her in the House of the Undying in the second book and the Dracarys!moment with the slavers in the third book (without any doubt two of the most powerful moments of the saga so far), it feels like her story isn’t really going anywhere :-/

Jorah Mormont
Ugh, Jorah! You were one of my favourites and now you’ve made it from hero to zero in just one book. Sorry to say so, my dear friend, but you’re the world’s biggest loser right now I hope to see you again in a more heroic way though!

Bran
I love Bran! I love Hodor! I love the Reeds! But, geez, is this going anywhere??

Littlefinger
Don't get me wrong. The storyline with Littlefinger/Lysa/Sansa was amazing! The revelation of Lysa having murdered her own husband at Petyr's bid was a big surprise and Petyr pushing Lysa through the Moon Door was a jaw-dropper! I hate him though! He's a creep! He's a snake! And Sansa has to get outta there ASAP!

The I-don’t-know-where-to-place-you!moments
Tyrion!!!
Ahhhh, little lion man, what has happened to you? Gods, you’re breaking my heart! He was at the height of his success before the battle at Blackwater Bay… and now he’s lost everything! I cannot help but feel sorry for him because – as flawed as he may be – for a long time he seemed to be the only decent person in the whole Lannister clan. He treated Sansa well and kind enough when most other men of the GoT universe would’ve just raped the poor girl in the wedding night. He tried to treat his own kin (esp. Cersei, Tywin and Joffrey) with respect wherever he possibly could when all they did was spit on him and humiliate him. And then they all turned against him… not just his own family (which is no big surprise) but also Varys, Shae and Bronn. I was most disappointed about Bronn! Looks like I’ve been just as much of a fool to trust him as Tyrion has been. So in the end, Bronn was apparently just as much of a “whore” as Tyrion’s little lady-love. Speaking of which…and while I may have been fooled on Bronn… I could never understand how Tyrion could fall in love and put his trust in Shae! Hasn’t he learned anything from his first marriage? Was he really just thinking with his dick when it came to Shae? *sigh* Seeing Tyrion kill Shae and his father was a shock, sure enough! Could I blame him though? Ummm… no… not really, I’m sorry to say!

Stannis & Melissandre (aka the Match-made-in-Hell)
I REALLY don’t know what to make of these two. Are they evil? Are they good? Are they mentally deficient? *lol* I sure have to keep an eye on them!

All in all, the third book is by far the best one of the saga so far. Absolutely epic! (And I sure hope they'll do justice to this mind-blowing part on the show!!)

Last edited by KajaM on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: