Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youtube Copyright Warnings!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
OMG How bloody patronising!!! They made me click an 'I acknowledge' thing for the copyright complaint and then sent me to a 'copyright school' video. LOL NO. This is like for 6 year olds...

IKR!
They did the same with me and one of my old vids.
It's ridiculous! Like it's gonna stop anyone from making fanvids...
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so bummed and scared! I just got my first strike for my Romeo & Juliet video (posted it here a while back.) I re-uploaded it to my Samhradh account... now because of it, I got a strike! now I'm afraid that I'm gonna get more strikes now that I'm on Youtube's radar...

I know this won't make any difference... but I feel like, as long as one isn't making money off the videos, and the artist used in the video is getting free advertisement, that it should be somewhat okay.

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that sucks, Summer!
Did you get a strike for the song you used or for the video footage?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Summer! As someone that has gotten their account suspended before, I can honestly tell you that one strike doesn't mean you're on their radar. They don't realize who has what strikes and when, until you reach your third.

Music wise, I would suggest checking wikipedia to see if it's an artist under the WMG label, since they are the ones that cause the most strikes. If they are, then the best thing you can do is pitch shift the song. On rare occasions it will still get flagged, but doesn't result in a strike. Sometimes it'll block it in Germany, though I've found that most any song anymore gets blocked in Germany, or it might have an ad next to it, but I would take those over strike any day.

Video footage wise, they only thing I've found that helps, as it's helped with any Glee related videos that I've done, is to put a block of text in front of the video for about 0:45 or 0:50 seconds, as that seems to throw them off a bit. Also, for well known movies/shows that causes lots of strikes (like basically any Fox related show!) use things like {F}inn & {R}achel or like G|ee to put character/couple names & the name of the show. That also throws them off.

As far as that goes, that is really all I can think of to help you out. Also, make sure you have a back-up YT account just incase, and make sure that you have back-ups of your videos. Believe me, I lost all of my videos once due to my account getting suspended, and it was absolutely heartbreaking. So I keep all of my videos now, just incase something happens.

I hope I was helpful to you!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ thank you for those tips, I'll use that for sure! And my strike was from Fox because of the movie, not because of the music, I don't think, because on my Lostisland channel, I have the same song/video on it and I never got a strike for it.

I'm gonna cont. to use my samhradh name, I just don't want any more strikes... what I normally do is look for remixes of the songs, or songs without lyrics, that tends to help a lot because most of the remixes I have, aren't very known.

Quote:
that one strike doesn't mean you're on their radar. They don't realize who has what strikes and when, until you reach your third.

Are you sure they don't know? I mean, under the strike info, it shows who complained, then shows (SamhradhStudio) next to that? But i dunno though... I haven't dealt with strikes since my Wildcat channel got terminated a few years ago.

tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for footage, like I said (esp. with Fox) normally if you put up text telling the viewer to skip ahead to the 45 to 50 second mark, then it'll be fine. I haven't run into a problem since I started doing that.

Quote:
Are you sure they don't know? I mean, under the strike info, it shows who complained, then shows (SamhradhStudio) next to that? But i dunno though... I haven't dealt with strikes since my Wildcat channel got terminated a few years ago.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. I mean, you have think of it like this. They have how many millions of users? I'm fairly certain they don't keep track of your strikes that closely. I mean, they'll be notified if you get a second/third, but as far as watching your videos more closely and being on their radar, I don't think so.

The only people that can make the claim are the people that own the rights to the footage or music that you use, so if you get another strike it's not because youtube flagged the video, it's because someone else did.

I swear with as many videos that get flagged for copyright between the music and the footage, you'd think that all Fox and WMG do is sit on their butts and watch YT videos all day to see who they can screw with that day. It's incredibly stupid, since about half of the shows that I love (IE: Chuck, Psych, Bones, Once Upon A Time) I found because of videos that I watched on YT. The same goes with music. At least half of the artists that I listen to and really, truly love I found from videos that I watched and really enjoyed the music.

Llike you said, it's free publicity and none of us claim any ownership to what we're using. It's incredibly pathetic that they feel that they have to come after us vidders for stuff that doesn't hurt anyone, when there are far more important matters in this world that need to be dealt with. It irriates me to the bone how stupid these people can be to not see vidding for what it really is!

-------------END RANT------------------

sorry, I just had to get that out. Anyways, just kind of keep an eye on what your posting, and if you know for certain that it's footage that is notorious for bringing down the strikes, then just add that text in there and that should help.

Also, as bad as it SUCKS to lose your account. There is a way to get it back. Believe me, I about had a heart attack the last time my account got suspended because I had just gotten to like 300 subbers and all my hard work, I was ticked! So I searched youtube, and found a video that helps you get your account back. Though, since they changed youtube for what feels like the six billionth time (I hate the new layout btw) it might be different? It took me like a month or two, but a couple of years back I lost my main account, tjmack1986, and after a month or two I got it back strike free.

Also, I believe if you removed the video that got the strike on it, then it will remove the strike? Because I had 2 strikes not too long ago (both Fox related shows) and I didn't really care for either video too awful much anyway, so I just removed them, and now I have no strikes. So, that might be helpful as well?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely it does suck that they would come after us who do no harm. I had my wildcat account with like 50 something videos I think and *just *hit 100 subscribers. I was so mad and i tried to get it back but they wouldn't at all. So i really hope I don't have to worry about it again :-:-\

I wish someone would make a site like youtube, but allow all videos alike (fan made especially) so no one needs to worry about copyrighted material. If one isn't making money off the videos, it shouldn't be such a big deal. Sure, copyright stuff is wrong if stolen, but if you state that you are not uploading it for money, and give all credit to the proper owner, then that should give a small pass. I have never in my life tried to use my videos to make money, and I never would.

The companies that go after the poor, and innocent people because they're greedy and want every cent that comes through, no matter where it comes from.

Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Youtube might be trying to be sneaky... if you go into your settings to see what your copyright status is, and it shows the 3 status as either Good Standing or not good, and now it shows nothing... this makes me a little nervous because now I won't know if I have any strikes or anything. About a week ago, I checked and it still said "strike 1" "Not in good standing" and today, nothing. Not even the status saying whether or not I'm in good standing, which I knew I wasn't already.

Sure, they'll send an email about a notice I get, but I liked being able to see my status within my settings to keep track of it manually. Why the heck would they get rid of that status?? are they doing it to catch more people easily or something? I don't get it...

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get YouTube lately, they've been deleting my vids without telling me T_T
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? That's not right. If they're going to delete videos, they should notify the person who uploaded them, stating why they were deleted.

I truly believe that YouTube is hiding the copyright/account status to be sneaky and be able to delete an account without any further notice, that way they can say "We sent you a notice. Check your Spam box" ect to cover their butt if one complains.

In all honesty, I think if YouTube deletes my Samhradh account, I might not go back to them and find an alternate site to upload my videos. I used to like YouTube a lot years ago, but now I'm getting tired of their power trips. They say not to upload copyrighted materials on their site (cover songs, fan vids ect), but yet they don't take any, or hardly of them down. Those type of uploads are not hard to find. If they allow most cover songs to be allowed, (or at the moment, over-looked) then they should also allow fan made videos with those songs. Sure, using materials from TV shows and movies is different, but still. It's not right to allow one thing, but not another. It's basically contradicting what they're saying in their TOS.

Sorry, I tend to ramble.

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sent to copyright school yesterday. I thought I'd lost my account but it let me back in.

Anybody know what copyright school is all about? Did I get a strike? They haven't sent me any e-mails or Youtube inbox messages to tell me about any recent problems. I'd like to know what their complaint is about and which video(s) caused it.

It was very upsetting to have to watch the video and take the test before they'd let me into my account again. I think the bunny cartoon is supposed to soften the blow,but it just irritated me. (It makes it feel like they don't take what they're saying seriously.)

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
I got sent to copyright school yesterday. I thought I'd lost my account but it let me back in.

Anybody know what copyright school is all about? Did I get a strike? They haven't sent me any e-mails or Youtube inbox messages to tell me about any recent problems. I'd like to know what their complaint is about and which video(s) caused it.

It was very upsetting to have to watch the video and take the test before they'd let me into my account again. I think the bunny cartoon is supposed to soften the blow,but it just irritated me. (It makes it feel like they don't take what they're saying seriously.)

I had to do that too. I didn't watch the video, I just picked the more obvious answers. I think that Copyright school is for people that have lots of copyright notices but no strikes? Because I don't have any actual strikes, but I do have quite a few copyright notices. I don't think it is any one video, just the generalization of how many notices you have.

I'm torn at whether I'm angry at Youtube by all the copyright stuff they put us through or not. I mean, it's not really they're fault, since they are just trying to avoid getting sued. I think it's more the production and record companies fault, since they're the ones that do all the copyright claiming, and they are the ones threatening to sue everyone over using their stuff. It's extremely frustrating, because you never know what will or won't raise a flag, especially musically. I know enough by now to either not use, or disguise Fox shows. Fox and WMG seem to be the worst about claiming copyrights, which sucks because most of all the good music out there are under WMG or one of their affiliates.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to do that too. I didn't watch the video, I just picked the more obvious answers. I think that Copyright school is for people that have lots of copyright notices but no strikes? Because I don't have any actual strikes, but I do have quite a few copyright notices. I don't think it is any one video, just the generalization of how many notices you have.

Well that makes me a feel a little better. Thank you. Good to know it might not be strike related. I know I have copyright notices, but I don't think I have strikes.

Quote:
I'm torn at whether I'm angry at Youtube by all the copyright stuff they put us through or not. I mean, it's not really they're fault, since they are just trying to avoid getting sued. I think it's more the production and record companies fault, since they're the ones that do all the copyright claiming, and they are the ones threatening to sue everyone over using their stuff. It's extremely frustrating, because you never know what will or won't raise a flag, especially musically. I know enough by now to either not use, or disguise Fox shows. Fox and WMG seem to be the worst about claiming copyrights, which sucks because most of all the good music out there are under WMG or one of their affiliates.

I know they are just enforcing what the big companies want, but my issue with Youtube is that they don't seem to enforce this for all videos and all vidders. Like Summer mentioned they don't do anything about cover songs. I see full clips and episodes of shows and links to episodes of shows and they hardly touch those videos. There for awhile everyone was doing flash mob style vids to songs like Call Me Maybe. Did all of those people secure the rights prior to posting viral hits? I doubt it.
I just feel like they either have to enforce their copyright thing on every video and every vidder or not do it at all. These mixed messages they send out don't help anyone. Youtube just frustrates me sometimes.

Macaila

Icon and Sigs by Tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found copyright school very patronising. It's just completely irritating and if there were a decent alternative, I would be so done with YouTube.
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know they are just enforcing what the big companies want, but my issue with Youtube is that they don't seem to enforce this for all videos and all vidders. Like Summer mentioned they don't do anything about cover songs. I see full clips and episodes of shows and links to episodes of shows and they hardly touch those videos. There for awhile everyone was doing flash mob style vids to songs like Call Me Maybe. Did all of those people secure the rights prior to posting viral hits? I doubt it.
I just feel like they either have to enforce their copyright thing on every video and every vidder or not do it at all. These mixed messages they send out don't help anyone. Youtube just frustrates me sometimes.

The copyright thing is hard to understand, but from what I've gathered from it, youtube only enforces their own rules depending on what the company says, but youtube doesn't actually make the claim, that is up to the actual company. So, I guess it depends on how "threatened" they feel by whatever video it is? Plus, some people get smart on how they post things, and so it takes them longer to locate offenders. I know that I've had videos up for months without a problem, and then all of a sudden it's a problem.

In fact, I had a video up for like four months, and one day I got on and suddenly I was hit with a strike due to copyright, and it had taken them that long to find out about it.

Quote:
I found copyright school very patronising. It's just completely irritating and if there were a decent alternative, I would be so done with YouTube.

Oh I agree Jemma! Copyright school was very patronizing, but I mean I don't think there will ever be a decent alternative. I mean, Youtube used to be a fun and awesome place, but because of greedy big businesses, they lost all the fun. Any new site that is remotely the same as youtube will fall under the same thing eventually.

Like I said before, as easy as it would be to blame youtube for all the crap, it's really the production and record companies fault that we have no true place to share our creations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: