Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youtube Copyright Warnings!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Youtube Copyright Warnings!! Reply with quote

In this thread you can post your warnings on fandoms or artists that are likely to be deleted, muted or blocked for certain countries on Youtube.

Some information first on how you can avoid copyright troubles (no guarantee though that it'll work!):

FANDOMS: Sometimes it helps mirroring the footage of a "risky" fandom and adjusting your video description a little, for instance writing "GIee" instead of "Glee". It'll look the same with the font they use on YT (Thanks to Brooke for those ideas! )

ARTISTS: Often it helps to pitch the song before uploading your vid to YT. It may not be recognized as the original song anymore and your vid won't be deleted, blocked or muted. (Thank you, Eryn! )

Sometimes the "dispute claim"-option on Youtube can help unblocking your videos.

Here's a great description on how to do it: (Thank you, Nikki! )
http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18899

Those are just some ideas and suggestions that worked for other vidders.

HOWEVER, we cannot guarantee that it'll work for every fandom or artist!

And here's the list of fandoms/artists that may be troublesome on YT:

FANDOMS that COULD be deleted on YT:
- BONES
- BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
- FIREFLY
- GLEE
- MODERN FAMILY
- RAISING HOPE
- SERENITY
- TWILIGHT SAGA
- X-MEN

ARTISTS where your vid is likely to be deleted or muted:
- AVENGED SEVENFOLD (muted)
- BARENAKED LADIES (muted)
- BRUNO MARS (deleted)
- GOO GOO DOLLS (muted)
- INXS (muted)
- TAYLOR SWIFT (deleted)
- WITHIN TEMPTATION (muted)

ARTISTS with copyright notification that DON'T get deleted or require any actions:
- 3 DOORS DOWN
- ADELITAS WAY
- ALICE IN CHAINS
- ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS
- ALTER BRIDGE
- AVRIL LAVIGNE
- BLINK 182
- BREAKING BENJAMIN
- DAUGHTRY
- DAVID COOK
- EVANESCENCE
- GREENDAY
- HINDER
- MATCHBOX 20
- MICHAEL JACKSON
- MR. BIG
- MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE
- ORIANTHI
- PAPA ROACH
- PUDDLE OF MUDD
- SEETHER
- SHINEDOWN
- SICK PUPPIES
- SKILLET
- SOUNDGARDEN
- THE EXIES
- THEORY OF A DEADMAN

ARTISTS that are blocked in certain countries:
- COLDPLAY (Germany)
- EMILY BROWNING / SUCKER PUNCH SOUNDTRACK (Germany)
- KELLY CLARKSON (Germany)
- MAROON 5 (Germany)
- MAT KEARNEY
- MATTHEW PERRYMAN JONES (Germany)
- RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS (worldwide)
- RIGHT SAID FRED (worldwide)
- SCOUTING FOR GIRLS (Germany)
- SUGABABES (Germany)

Last edited by KajaM on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:40 am; edited 9 times in total
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for a thread!

Last I checked Taylor Swift music is a big no. It works if you shift the pitch, but otherwise it'll probably get deleted.

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, hon!

And good point about the pitching. I'll add that!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously there's Glee which seems to be a HUGE no no on youtube.

I get alot of notifications that the content belongs to somebody else but mainly no action is taken. Alot of my videos seem to get banned in Germany however, I can hunt down the specific vids if you'd like.

This is a great idea by the way!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the OP we should include ways to get around the copyright? For Taylor Swift you just pitch shift the song. Glee songs are okay, for the footage you mirror it and, an an extra safety precaution, if you're writing Glee in your description, write GIee instead - with the font they use on YT, Glee and GIee look exactly the same
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that fair usage means if you only used a short amount of clips chances are then it should be okay to dispute the claim.
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, I'll have to check my YT account to get all of the names but pretty much every vid I have on there has a warning of some sort that it's being muted/blocked somewhere. What sucks is that I had a whole bunch of new warnings come up on some of my oldest vids recently!

It seems like music rights get transferred around a LOT so a song or artist that might be fine one day, suddenly will get muted/deleted or a strike against your account the next day! Though it seems that it's the video footage that will cause you to lose your account the quickest. Anything owned by 20th Century Fox will usually get deleted and earn you a strike for every vid you have up that they owned (and as we all know, 3 strikes and you're out ).

Even though you still see a lot of X-Men vids (both original movies and X-Men: First Class) on Youtube, I know of several vidders who've lost their accounts once 20th Century Fox caught them for their X-Men vids.

20th Century Fox also holds the rights to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly/Serenity and I know they'll get blocked if they catch you.

Oh, one music artist I know that gets blocked worldwide is Right Said Fred. I was surprised that "I'm Too Sexy" still gets that sort of copyright vigilance considering how old the song is!

Anyway, great idea for a thread, Karolina! It's so frustrating to not have any idea what shows/movies/songs are going to activate the copyright police at YT. And since things can change on a dime, there's no guarantee that what's okay today will get you muted/blocked/a strike tomorrow. But all we can do is try to help each other!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMG is cracking down again I think. Everything I submit a vid it's always copyrighted.

I just dispute it and most the time it works. I use 'Free use' because of the whole 'art' thing.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dispute everything too and almost always works. I'm surprised I haven't gotten any warnings on my Bones vids since its on Fox. Time will tell.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is surprising. I stopped putting anything Fox related in my taglines.

I am surprised I am still in good standing. Knock on wood.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that almost anything using Barenaked Ladies music gets blocked/muted.I've gotten to where if I plan on using a song by them then posting it on Youtube seems a waste of time.Also James Blunt music is kind of a 50/50, I had one vid featuring a song by him that youtube initially blocked but later posted and another it posted right away. Nickelback is kind of iffy too.

Most of my vids have some kind of copyright claim on them I usually just ignore them and try to make sure I at least have my Mediafire links posted along with my vids.

This is a great idea to compile some of the problematic songs/artists/tv or movies.

Macaila
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea! With all the different fandoms being vidded now, it's good to know what shows/movies will get a vid blocked.

As for music, nearly all my vids on YT have some kind of copyright claim, most of them are either "no action taken" or an ad is placed on the page. No prob there! I have had a TON muted though, I'll have to check through my account to see which ones. The only band I can think of right now is the Goo Goo Dolls.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input!

I guess I have to adjust the list into artists where the vids are completely deleted or muted - or where there is a copyright info but no actions have to be taken - or where there is a copyright warning for certain countries.

What do you think?

Also, I think it would be great if you could post the vids where mirroring the clips or pitching the song DID help to get around the copyright thing.

Thank you all so much!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I've never tried to use that "dispute" thing on YT. Could someone write a short explanation how it works and for which type of copyright issues?

That'd be great. I could add it to the list of ideas and suggestions at the very top of this thread.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the only other artists that I know of that were muted: Avenged Sevenfold & INXS (not all songs though).

Here are the ones that got notifications but are still up (spoilered cause the list is long):

Spoiler:

David Cook
Puddle of Mudd
Evanescence
Hinder
All-American Rejects
Mr. Big
Soundgarden
Avril Lavigne
Papa Roach
Matchbox Twenty
Green Day
Skillet
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace
The Exies
Theory of a Deadman
Alice in Chains
My Chemical Romance
3 Doors Down
Sick Puppies
Alter Bridge
Michael Jackson
Blink 182
Seether
Adelitas Way
Daughtry
Shinedown
Orianthi

After seeing this I don't know of any vids I have that didn't get notifications, lol. Actually, as I looked over my YT account again, there are a few vids by the same artist, even the same CD, where 1 vid got a notification & the other didn't.

Karolina, I've never done the "dispute" thing either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: