Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hunger Games (books & movies)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing certain: After playing characters such as Katniss and Ree in "Winter's Bone" -- young women who have to face tremendous odds for family -- young fans won't be seeing Lawrence in that kind of role anytime soon.

"I just wrote an e-mail to my managers that said 'no more white trash with too much responsibility' roles for awhile," Lawrence says with a smile.

That's what the girl I was working with was talking about. But I'm pretty sure the interviewer left out 'Lawrence says with a smile'.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's harder to get a sense of what people are like from written interviews. I get the impression that Jen's been really overwhelmed by the amount of attention she's gotten recently and she's like excited but a little freaked. She's done a lot of interviews lately (of course) where she just seems very sweet and silly.

But I mean, I don't know her, so what do any of us really know.

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I honestly don't understand saying the Gale/Katniss/Peeta thing is a triangle....because I mean I GUESS you can look at it that way but I feel like it's less of a triangle and more that Katniss has a very special relationship with both of the boys that can't really be overlooked and ultimately one of them is better for her - but that's not the point of the series. I personally don't like getting caught up in the romantic aspect of the series very much because that's not who Katniss is. She makes her choice over and over throughout the series and the person she loves above everyone else is always, ALWAYS Prim. Peeta and Gale will always come second to her, because the only person in the world she's sure she loves is Prim. Katniss is just a girl trying to keep her little sister safe.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said!!!

That's also the reason why (... major spoilers for the end of the series!!!!)

Spoiler:

she's damaged beyond repair after Prim's death.
I'm sure she wouldn't have been such a mess if Gale or Peeta had died. It would've hurt her a lot, that's for sure, but she would've gotten over it eventually.
Prim's death will always haunt her though and NO ONE can fix that, not even Peeta. I think at the end of the book it is Peeta's comforting way that wins her over in first place. I DO believe that she grows to love him as the years go by, but that wasn't the reason why they'd gotten together at the end of the series... not in my opinion anyway.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's said she doesn't want to be as famous as Kristen Stewart and I don't think ANYONE wants that kind of fame. Not even Stewart wants to be as famous a Kristen Stewart.

But acting wise I think Lawrence is superior.

Taking on a role like that has to be overwhelming and having to do interview after interview being asked the same things; saying the same things has to get tiring.
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say, I'm so happy to see so much Gale love in here! I've been stalking the Hunger Games tag on tumblr and there seems to be so little Gale love there, it was making me sad If I'm honest, Peeta did bug me when I was reading the books, I don't know what it was about his character but I just couldn't take to him

Whilst it wasn't the main focus of the story, and I like that it wasn't. I do think that there was a triangle between the three of them. There's no doubt that Katniss' sole priority was Prim. But I think from Gale's point of view, Katniss meant a lot to him and that whole Peeta/Katniss situation added to his hate of the Captiol. I do think it was an important part of the story.

And I'm about to have a mini rant about stuff that's been annoying me on Tumblr, so feel free to ignore this part
Spoiler:

I don't understand why people get so defensive over this whole Team Gale/Team Peeta thing. If people want to 'Team' up that's fine. They're entitled to do so. I liked Gale's character and I wanted to see him happy. Being on his 'side', or Peeta's 'side' for that matter, doesn't make someone less of a fan than anyone else.

Yes, I loved Katniss, and I liked that she was such an independent badass. But appreciating her relationships with male characters doesn't take anything away from that.

Oh, and on an unrelated note...I don't know if anyone else thought this...or even knows who he is, but I TOTALLY imagined Cinna's character as Gok Wan. He just IS him! I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that he wasn't cast in the film, despite his lack of acting skills

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karolina,
Spoiler:

I absolutely think she grows to love Peeta too. By the end of the series, it's not Gale's anger she needs but Peeta's kindness. Gale and Katniss are very similar in terms of their hatred of the Capitol, but Gale takes it to the extreme, and, well, bad things happen, which is why he and Katniss ultimately would never work out.

Emma,
Spoiler:

I guess what bothers me about Team Peeta/Team Gale is just because the book isn't so much about their stories as it is Katniss's. I see so much hate for Katniss regarding the "way she treated" Peeta at the end of the first one, and how she acted towards both of them in later books. But the thing is, she didn't ASK for any of this. She doesn't want to fall in love and get married initially, and it turns out that she's going to HAVE to do that if she wants to live, and of course she's unhappy about it! A lot of fans get so upset with the way she acted regarding the Peeta situation and I just don't understand it, because how could you expect her to react any other way?

I guess I've just always, 100% been on Katniss's side and I don't care if someone likes Gale or Peeta better, but when they start hating on Katniss because of that, that's when I think they need to reevaluate the way they read the book.

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that many people want to make this series the next Twilight, at least considering the triangle thing, and that's why they're starting this whole Team Gale/Team Peeta nonesense. While I DO see why people would consider this a triangle lovestory or why they would get this Peeta vs. Gale vibes, I have to say this:
This isn't Twilight, for heaven's sake!
And I'm GLAD it isn't Twilight because a) we don't need another Twilight-sort-of-romance-triangle-thingie (because, well, we already HAVE that, right? ) and b) that's simply not what Hunger Games is all about!
Yes, there IS some romance going on between Kat & Peeta as well as Kat & Gale but the story is about an unfair and oppressive system and about a lot of courageous young people who are trying to fight the system and to gain peace and freedom.

Oh, and one more thing:
I closed my tumblr account for exactly the reasons that Emma mentioned --> I was getting so sick and tired of all the fan bashing! In my case, it was about some characters from The Walking Dead that I really love... but they aren't very popular with some fans and I REALLY hate how tumblr seems to have become a place for so much fandom hatred.
Why and how did this happen??

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! That's exactly how I feel, Karolina!

Aw - and in defense of tumblr - yes, there's a lot of fandom hate, but you just have to follow the right people and you'll find there's a lot of fandom love there too, which is how MOST people want tumblr to be.

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are mean about tumblr. For me Tumblr has ruined gifs. Gifs have always been a universal everyone uses everyone else's gifs; that's how it was with Livejournal...but on tumblr users are so "MINE MINE MINE".

Any story can have a triangle; it doesn't matter what the set up is; or what is happening. When you have 3 characters and you have two of those characters have any type of feeling for someone it's a triangle.

The strongest difference between both Twilight and The Hunger Games is that The Hunger Games is making it about something bigger then who Katniss chooses or doesn't; that's the farthest thing from MOST reader's minds. But it can still be there. Some people just take it too far and hate other people for who they chose or don't chose. BUT that's who that person IS. That's how they take every show/book/film they watch. You have people who don't care about the story, the characters, just as long as you have a couple hooking up and it's the one they want.

Twilight was all about the triangle in the writing, the films, and their promotion. I mean they created promotional 'team' shirts and whatever else could be thought of.

I rarely express my opinions for the exact reasons mentioned. I usually just reblog photos and don't post anything on my own becuase I'm always afraid of the backlash I get. I'd get it for a character on Bones that people hate on; but they also hate on the actress too...Which bothered me most.

I have a Finder tumblr blog two now; and haven't really had many issues with that. But with my personal tumblr page I don't want to stir the pot.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke, it depends on how the gif was intended. If it's made as a reaction gif than anyone can use it, but if it's made as a piece of fan art then that's what it is - fan art, same as any banner or icon, so it should be credited to the right person and not reposted without permission.

What bothers me when people make THG about the triangle is just that I feel like they're completely missing the point of the trilogy. The media reaaaally wants to play this up as "the next Twilight" which it's SO not. Twilight is about the love story. The Hunger Games is about so much more than that. But if people pay attention to the media, then all they're going to understand is that it's about a girl who has two guys in love with her, which is isn't. It's about a girl who's forced into numerous situations she's not ready for, when all she really wants to do is go home and take care of her sister.

I don't care when people like the love story, I'm not dissing anyone for that! I just hope that the world understands that this isn't some silly teen romance series. This is HEAVY stuff and has so many greater implications and morals than the idea of romantic love.

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, Emma's another Gale fan! *does secret handshake*

I've been pretty lucky on Tumblr in regards to fan-bashing and such. I'm pretty particular about who I follow (if I don't already know them) and if they turn around and start bashing characters/actors/fandoms/other fans/etc. then I'm outta there. Tracking tags ends up uncovering a bunch of bashing, unfortunately, but I do my best to just scroll past it and only stop and read the good, non-bashing stuff.

I don't hardly post anything of my own, though, I mainly reblog and like, so I haven't had any trouble with anybody attacking me for my posts. It's a shame that people take something fun and make it into an excuse to be mean to other fans!

People ARE very protective of their GIFs there, it's true. But like Eryn said, if it's posted like fanart, then you should reblog it, not repost it. But if it's a reaction GIF, most people don't seem to have a problem with you using it as a reaction. they just don't want somebody else to take their post and post it again so that now they don't get to see any of the likes/reblogs/responses, it all goes to the person who reposted it. If that makes sense?

In my opinion, they're pushing the Twilight "comparisons" simply because both of the books were YA but, even more so, because they're trying to drum up the same sort of "excitement" of fans rooting for a "team." In Twilight, that's more of a fair thing to do because Team Edward/Team Jacob is definitely a thing in the books. But for THG (at least in the first book, I only know about the other two but haven't read them yet) Katniss's focus is NOT on which guy she wants to be with. That's something that comes up in the course of her story, it is part of her journey, but it's not what her story is all about.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm FINALLY reading The Hunger games. I tried before; a few months back when people were telling me " YOU HAVE TO READ IT" And I got discrated with other books becuase the opening just dragged; I think I read about a chapter.

Okay; so now I'm only on chapter 9. And I'm still not impressed with it. I am not a fan of her writing skills; or how she devolops the characters.

For instance my friend complained that in the movie Haymitch wasn't well devoloped at all; that he was a drunk then all of a sudden he was okay. But I felt that's how it was in the movie. He went from a bitter drunk to someone who was helping them.

I really want to like it and I am really hoping that once I get into the actual Games it'll get better.

I feel like a complete outsider because EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE I know is reading and loving it.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you're not alone in this, Brooke. Collins' writing certainly isn't the best in the world. She shows a lot of weaknesses in the character development, in the plot development and in the style of writing. A lot of important events of the second and third book are being told TO Katniss - rather than FROM HER POV - because she keeps blacking out. It totally feels like cheating... like Collins was running out of ideas how to go on with the story at that certain point... so she had Katniss blacking out. It was driving me nuts!!

I'm a big fan of YA novels though and I enjoyed the trilogy well enough. It's not a favourite of mine (I much prefer Harry Potter or Chaos Walking), but I liked it alright
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just getting back into reading. With school I had no time.

I don't hate it. I'm just not inlove with it like people said I would.

I agree with everything youvsaid. And plan in reading HP next. Okaycehat is Walking Chaos.

I'm just glad in not the only one.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that Collins's writing style isn't the best, I've never found anything hugely problematic with it. I think that the story she has to tell is incredible enough to stand on its own, and with a heroine like Katniss, who is so unique and wonderful in her own right, the less-than-stellar writing style doesn't bother me as much.

I think most of the love for the books comes from the story rather than the style, and the fact that people love the characters, whether it's Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Finnick, or Cinna that you love. In my opinion, a strong story and strong characters are almost more important than a strong writing style. J.K. Rowling's writing isn't spectacular (though it is good ) but what makes Harry Potter stand out is the intricacies of the storyline and how all these little details make it all come together. What makes the Hunger Games stand out for me is the fact that the heroine is a girl who isn't driven by love for a man, but by love for her sister, and the fact that this story is just not really one that's been told before.

art by me&tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: