Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hunger Games (books & movies)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeeeeeeeeeee! Just saw it this afternoon. Here are my thoughts...

Spoiler:

So, I freaking LOVED this movie! It met and exceeded my expectations. Of course I was disappointed in all the things they had to condense or leave out, but I completely understand why. It was two hours as it was and they reduced it as much as they possibly could. I really don't think they could have done better.

One of my favorite things was the total absence of music in a lot of scenes, like the reaping scene. I thought that was *so* powerful and really made you feel like you were there. The little girl who plays Prim was AMAZING! She had me bawling right from the start.

Another thing I loved was the way they made you feel how overwhelmed Katniss was feeling using camera and audio tricks. For example, when Katniss and Peeta are dragged off after the reaping, and the camera motion becomes kind of choppy, things blur out, and Effie is right there talking to them but her dialog is muted and kind of distorted. That was too amazing!

I loved all of the casting, even Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. I cannot stand Woody Harrelson anymore (though I liked him once upon a time) so I was really worried, but I actually think he made the perfect Haymitch.

About the only complaint I have is that I didn't think there was enough development of Katniss' relationship with either Rue or Peeta. I wished Rue could have had a little more screen time, but I honestly think they did the best they could without sacrificing other important things. I felt like the situation between Katniss and Peeta didn't translate very well with so little time to develop it, but people I talked to who didn't read the book didn't seem to have any trouble with it, so I guess it was fine.

Bottom line, though, I LOVED IT!!! I can't wait for the next two!!!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think there was much need to develop Kaniss/Peeta because if over developed them people wouldn't buy that it was an act for her.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved the movie. I do think it was a little rushed - I don't think we were given enough time to fall in love with Rue or Cinna. However, I think Catching Fire will remedy the Cinna thing, and I know with Rue they were worried about making her death scene TOO painful.

Josh Hutcherson absolutely made me fall in love with Peeta. I never really connected with either of the boys when I read the books, but Josh brought Peeta to life in a way I didn't get out of the book. He was absolutely the PERFECT choice for Peeta.

Jennifer Lawrence was brilliant. I adore her. Katniss is one of my very favorite literary characters and I don't think we could have asked for a better portrayal in the movie.

I was also kind of impressed with Alexander Ludwig and Isabelle Fuhrman, who played Cato and Clove! I never really expected to feel bad for Cato AT ALL, but the little speech they gave him right before he died was genius; it really sent the message home that no matter how they act, these ARE all just kids and they want to make it home.

I highly recommend reading the books, Brooke. Definitely do so!

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were smart enough to realize that you have A LOT of kids going to the movie; which they did. I think that's why most of the deaths were quick and rarely reflected on by the characters; expect Rue.

I went to a school where the 5th grade class was having it read to their teacher. Considering some of those kids are 10 years old. So I think that's why some of the death was toned down.

I felt like some things were dragged and somethings were rushed. I think they skipped out on some much needed character devolopment. And instead of showing us the riot (Which doesn't even happen in The Hunger Games) they could have shown us character developmental.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, man. I feel like 10 is a little young to be reading the Hunger Games! That's some heavy stuff! But hey, what do I know.

I feel like they didn't NEED all those scenes they added of the Gamemakers and President Snow. Some of the time they spent on Seneca Crane and Snow in the garden could have gone towards giving us more development of Rue or Cinna. Even though I liked those scenes, since they weren't in the book I feel like they didn't need to be as big a priority.

art by me&tammy
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum read the Hunger Games and thought it was a little harsh lol but she loved it, and she loved Rue, and she adore Peeta, too, Eryn!!! I felt like I was waving the Gale flag all on my own. mum kept saying he looked 'too old' and she thought the Capitol outfits were too over the top and ik was like "THAT"S THE POINT!!!!"

KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I feel like they didn't NEED all those scenes they added of the Gamemakers and President Snow. Some of the time they spent on Seneca Crane and Snow in the garden could have gone towards giving us more development of Rue or Cinna. Even though I liked those scenes, since they weren't in the book I feel like they didn't need to be as big a priority.

Personally, I think it's good that they added those scenes. It explains a lot... who Snow is, how much power he has, how he instantly realizes that Katniss could be very dangerous for the Capitol, how he can easily wipe out people who don't play by his rules (Seneca). That's just my two cents though
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Karoline. They couldn't make it exactly like the books. And as someone who's not read it: it helped me understand his power and cruelty.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved the added scenes between Seneca and Snow for exactly the reasons you said! I just think they could've been a little more careful about not letting those take away from important character development that was in the book.

I loved Seneca Crane in the movie. I'm not even sure WHY, I just really liked his expanded role. XD

Spoiler:

And I must say, I'm excited to see Katniss hang the dummy and paint his name on it in Catching Fire.

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke wrote:
I know there's a Gale/Katniss/Peeta thing...but at this point I prefer Gale/Katniss.

littleton_pace wrote:
I felt like I was waving the Gale flag all on my own. mum kept saying he looked 'too old' and she thought the Capitol outfits were too over the top and ik was like "THAT"S THE POINT!!!!"

ZOMG, Gale fans!

We're sorta few and far between, lol!

When I read book 1, I misremembered the synopsis I'd read about it first and thought that Gale was the one she went into the Games with, so through the whole book I kept thinking, "Um, yeah, thanks, Peeta, you're lovely and all of that but where's GALE??? 'Cause he's supposed to be here any second now!" That's what I get for both spoiling myself before I read the book AND for having a lousy memory on top of that, lol!

I still haven't seen the movie yet, though I'd LOVE to. I'm hoping to bond a bit more with Peeta (I'm re-reading book 1 again now) but as great as Josh Hutcherson really seems to be, he's going to have to fight a bit to win my fangirl heart against Liam Hemsworth... aka Chris Hemsworth's younger brother. You know how much I loves my Thor, after all!

Spoiler:

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't understand saying the Gale/Katniss/Peeta thing is a triangle....because I mean I GUESS you can look at it that way but I feel like it's less of a triangle and more that Katniss has a very special relationship with both of the boys that can't really be overlooked and ultimately one of them is better for her - but that's not the point of the series. I personally don't like getting caught up in the romantic aspect of the series very much because that's not who Katniss is. She makes her choice over and over throughout the series and the person she loves above everyone else is always, ALWAYS Prim. Peeta and Gale will always come second to her, because the only person in the world she's sure she loves is Prim. Katniss is just a girl trying to keep her little sister safe.

Unrelated, but exciting nonetheless - I ordered the Hunger Games soundtrack last weekend and I got it in the mail today! Yay!

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, Katniss is definitely not sitting around mooning over a fellow and that's actually one of the things I really love about her character and the book in general. She's got a laser focus on protecting and taking care of Prim and their mom. Everything else is secondary to her and that's a much more interesting than if this was all about Katniss Making A Choice Between Peeta And Gale.

That said, I love shipping so I enjoy those aspects in the book but even more so I love seeing them brought out in vids and fics. But I like that in the first book (I haven't read the other 2 so I can't speak to them in other than what I've heard ), Katniss herself is the main driving force, not Who Will Katniss Choose As A Love Interest. I really like that a lot!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Aislynn not the only one.

To me it's still a triangle...even IF she's not mooning over them; it's how it's portrayed.

I was so thrilled it wasn't a 'Who am I going to pick..." Because the
series isn't based on that at all.

I love shipping too.

I thought The Arcade Fire's theme was brilliant and really had the emotion of what was going on. I downloaded that from iTunes. Thanks iTunes.

But people I work with have said that Jennifer Lawrence is really difficult for interviews. I hate hearing crap like that.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ADORE THE ARCADE FIRE SONG!! Actually the entire soundtrack is amazing. Just perfect for the story!

That's bizarre. Every interview I've seen of her she's very down to Earth and absolutely hilariously real.

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one interview she claimed she wanted to stop playing 'white trash' characters becuase they were complicated...or something to that effect.

It's the People Magazine interview where the whole magazine is about them.

BUT me personally...I can also understand that things can be taken out of context. ESPECIALLY written interviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: