Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Once Upon A Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Once Upon A Time Reply with quote

I noticed some cool Lost Easter Eggs in the premire and since I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere else I thought I'd start a thread where people can discuss the show and maybe compile some of the Easter eggs.

Here are the Lost easter eggs I noticed:

-The clock in Storybrooke was stuck at 8:15 until Emma decided to stay.
-The address of Regina's house (The evil queen in the real world) was 108.
-Emma's last name is Swan (referencing Lost's Swan station)
-Another Swan reference was a lamp in Henry's room .
-In the scene where Emma wakes up in jail, the scene opens on her eye.

The rest of these are more my opinion than clear easter egg:
-The names Emma and Henry were both minor characters on Lost (Emma the little girl taken by the Others and Henry Gale/Ben's alias)

-Also the Evil Queen in the Fairy tale timeline turns into what I'd call 'the smoke monster 2.0'.

Then there are the common themes it shares with Lost:
-Parental issues/ abandonment
-Good vs Evil
-the reluctant hero
-Mysterious people and location
I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Just another little piece I wanted to be sure people caught is that in the real world timeline the evil queen is named Regina. Regina is the Latin name meaning Queen. I'm sure she's not the only character whose name is significant.

If I've missed any easter eggs I'd love to hear what they are.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see many easter eggs in the second episode.

However Emma's room number at Granny's was 4. Thought it was cool that the Lost numbers are still popping up.

I also thought it was interesting that
Spoiler:

Henry shares his name with the Evil queen's father. I'm curious to see if there is some kind of reincarnation idea at play here.

Macaila
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now developed a crush on the evil queen. I much prefer her to Snow White that's for sure even though she seems to have a doily on her head in fairy tale land. Still struggling to get to grips with this show as it's just so out there yet taking itself so seriously but will keep watching

At first I thought Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin was laughable, but he's growing on me and is probably the most interesting character to me right now with what he seems to have over the queen.

Spoiler:

I think she might have called him Henry after her father but it could be a version of her father or something like that but I don't really understand it.. yet. I dunno why anyone would kill their own family just to get back at someone, that never really made sense to me.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show is kind of odd with it's seriousness mixed with whimsical fairy tales.For me it helps a little bit that the character Emma, like the audience, finds the whole idea crazy.

One of the biggest things that was throwing me was that Snow White in the real world was almost the same age as her daughter.They kind of explained that some with the clock not moving and time literally standing still.

I also thought the casting of Rumplestiltskin was a little odd. I kind of think if the show gets picked up and goes for a few years then present day Rumplestiltskin may become a good guy. But the actor just doesn't work for me as being the bad guy who becomes good.I'm not familiar with the actor though, so maybe he'd make it believeable somehow.

To me it almost seems like Rumplestiltskin (whatever his present day name is) has retained a small amount of his fairy tale memory.All the characters have things that tie to their past. But something about the way he was talking to Regina in the last episode made me wonder if he remembers a little more than he lets on.

The evil queen killing her dad was kind of strange. I took it that scene was to show a couple of things, (1.) Although evil and seemingly heartless she did have some compassion and love for someone. (2.)Also I think it was to show how obsessed and consumed by revenge she was.She was so possessed by rage that she would kill the one person she loved just to get revenge on someone else.

It's a strange show.But I think it could have potential if they work out some of the rough spots.

Macaila
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it lately with shows that have no intro? They are just copying Lost. I miss those really good theme songs. If a show ever needed one it was once upon a time.

So they had an episode focused on Snow White but it was about how Charming and Snow met which I was a bit disappointed by. I want to see some cute dwarves and we still haven't found out why the Queen wanted her heart. If it follows the original fairytale then I'm sorry but I find it weird that the Evil Queen is so damn hot. The trolls looked cool. One thing that the show seems to be doing well is special effects.

The little boy, Henry is beyond annoying to me. The fact he is the only one who knows absolutely everything and goes all emo if you question anything is probably the reason.. He also seems to pass more of a resemblance to Snow rather than Emma with those sticky out ears lol

The book.. does it really hold every fairytale ever? It seems rather thin for that. Also the pictures of the fairytale characters are pretty spot on and lifelike, which would surely make the characters think something fishy is going on. The artistic style should have been more loose.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heart this show so much!! And now
Spoiler:

apparently Emilie de Ravin is gonnah play Belle from Beauty and the Beast *mega squee*

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmasholi wrote:
I heart this show so much!! And now
Spoiler:

apparently Emilie de Ravin is gonnah play Belle from Beauty and the Beast *mega squee*

That would be great!
Spoiler:

I would like to see a lostie on the show and Emilie would be great. Belle would be kind of an unexpected character for her. I'd have thought of her more as Cinderella (probably just cause I think of her as a blonde and Belle as a Brunette)

I thought it was nice they were able to reuse the nets from Lost so that Snow White could get 'caught in the net'.

Also liked how Prince Charming was 'awakened' to his past in someways. Kind of reminded me of the final season of Lost and all the characters 'awakening' to their lives on the island.

It is strange that so few shows anymore have theme songs.I miss them too.They were a great way to introduce the show and what it was about.Theme songs were almost an iconic part of so many shows from Gilligan's Island to Friends. I think almost everyone knows those songs.I didn't mind Lost's minimilist opener, but it fit the show.It was iconic in it's own way. But most of these other shows need a theme song.

Snow White's backstory was not what I expected.I'm a little confused by her.Is she still supposed to be the good guy, or were we supposed to think she made the evil queen evil? Also if she's not as innocent as we may have believed, what does that mean for her real world incarnation. Is she hiding something dark too?

I kind of wondered about that book too, it did seem a little thin for all the stories to be in it. But it's a magical book so I guess it magically holds all the stories in a small space.

As far as the characters in the book looking so much like their real life counterparts, I don't think the people in Storybrooke catch on to their resemblence to the characters because (1) I think few of them have actually seen the book (2) They find the idea absurd so they would tend to not notice the similarities as quickly as if they believed they were from the story. That would be my take on it anyway. It is kind of strange that not more of them have caught on.

It'll be interesting to see how they expand the characters beyond those we have become familiar with thus far.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an interesting episode since the show has started to expand it's cast of characters, stepping away from Snow White's story and giving a glimpse at Cinderella's. I was getting the vibe that maybe Prince Charming and Cinderella's Prince might be brothers.

I think that it is interesting that in the real world Cinderella was named Ashley. That was clever. Since in the story she was Ella but became Cinder -Ella due to her maid like duties and in the real world they made a play with the word ash and named her Ashley.

Cinderella's story reminded me off and on of Claire's story on Lost. The reluctant young mother who needed some encouragement that she really could do it. She had evil people, this time Mr Gold/Rumplestiltskin after the baby instead of The Others.

I liked the growth that we saw in Emma this week. Henry seems to be getting to her a little bit and making her realize what she gave up when she gave him up.I think Emma learned alot through helping Ashley.She helped that baby have the life she probably wished she could have given to Henry had she had the support she gave to Ashley. I think Emma is realizing that while she tries to convince herself she gave Henry up because it was best for him,that wasn't the real reason. I think Henry was testing her by telling her she was the only one who could leave. She showed alot of growth by deciding to stay. I liked the part where she that someone should be able to be a mother if they wanted to be. I think that speaks alot of how she is beginning to feel about Henry.

I think that there may have been a model boat in a bottle behind Henry in the scene where his mother leaves him home by himself.But I'm not certain.They showed that part quickly enough, so my eyes may have deceived me. Anyway that would be a cool little nod to Lost and the Black Rock.

What is the deal with Tallahassee? It was referenced tonight and I remember Kate and Sawyer making comments about it on Lost. There must be some little inside joke with these writers that I'm just not catching.

Rumplestiltskin's mentions of 'this life or the next' kept reminding me of Desmond's 'see you in another life' and the quote Nadia put on Sayid's picture about 'you'll find me in the next life if not again in this one.' And then just the whole idea that the Losties found each other in the next life. But on lost it was almost always a positive thing, where this time around it is more of a threat. I still think Mr. Gold somehow remembers things about his past.

I'm still trying to figure out who the Sheriff is. Robin Hood is the only story I can think of off the top of my head that I thought had a Sheriff. That job may just be a false lead. I keep thinking his name Graham, has to be some clue.

I think we're getting close to a Little Red Riding Hood episode since we saw alot of her tonight. I missed the previews, so maybe I'm stating the obvious.

Macaila
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this show so much!!

The fairytale outfits continue to wow me, the actress playing Cinderella looked fabulous.

I think the sheriff is the Huntsman that the Queen sends after Snow White (especially after the reveal at the end of the episode) but then I'm not sure if that would really be worth hiding who he is for so long.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Becca I think the Sheriff is the Huntsman. That would make him under the service of the Evil Queen in both realities.

Bet the Billy referenced is one of the billy goats gruff

Guess what another thing is bothering me about this show. No way! The dwarf I think it was grumpy? that was showing them around the old mine was clearly human height. Also I believe Rumplestiltskin is meant to be much closer to dwarf height and is always referred to as an imp. Come on pull your finger out producers! Lord of the Rings managed it with clever camera angles and props, it's really not that hard.

Still finding this show far too smalsy and lacking in comedy but one thing going for it is I enjoy ripping on it.

Extra points for Emma getting her top off!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:

I think the sheriff is the Huntsman that the Queen sends after Snow White (especially after the reveal at the end of the episode) but then I'm not sure if that would really be worth hiding who he is for so long.

That's a good theory. That would make sense. I would still like to believe that the sheriff is really on Emma's side and that they are trying to mislead us with the way they ended the episode.

I guess I missed the Billy reference.I'd be curious how the show would bring 3 goats to life in the alternate reality as people.Maybe like 3 biker dudes?

I also thought Rumplestiltskin was supposed be smaller.I also didn't think Rumplestiltskin was as human-like as he appears in both realities.

I do like the way this show crafts its stories.I like the flashback technique and the way similar themes run through both storylines.I think they do a good job to turning what could be a one-diminsional fairy-tale character into a character with a rich backstory.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no new episode this week. There is a nice article about the show in this weeks Entertainment Weekly ( the one with the Twilight Cast on the cover).

One other small detail I had forgotten to mention about the last episode: when Ashley's boyfriend shows up to the hospital he brought the baby shoes. The way he put the shoe on the baby's foot reminded me of how the Prince puts the glass slipper onto Cinderella's foot after the ball.

Macaila
klost004
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really need my new eppy soon!!
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Sheriff is the Huntsman too - and the Huntsman let Snow White go in the original story, yes? So if he is the Huntsman he might still be on Emma's side.

icon by becca
klost004
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ good point...

and yes...I too believe he's the huntsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: