Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Once Upon A Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there's definitely a lot of stuff that just DOESN'T make sense, and I'm waiting for it to be explained and it hasn't been :S:S

I've just been waiting for Henry or someone to go "do you remember how you got here? Do you remember going to school here?" etc etc and then they might remember...of course I know it won't be that easy, but if I still don't get how they are so convinced by their new identities if they don't have any false memories O_O
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. that seriously needs to be the first thing they explain... the lost memories and all that. Do they have any fake memories or have they just been forced to forget?

I really hope they humanise Regina a bit more. I like her a lot she's my favourite Funny how I like the villain the best.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it's kind of like Inception, when they feel like they know how they got there but they don't really remember. I think if they tried to remember they would realize that they don't.

Honestly, it's a fairy tale. It doesn't have to make sense. And I think we should be able to keep a "reasonable suspension of disbelief" (which is a theatre term but I think it applies to anything fictional). On Lost they didn't really explain where the island came from or why it was so hard to find for a LONG time. So I don't think we need to worry about where Storybrooke came from quite yet.

art by me&tammy
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:

Honestly, it's a fairy tale. It doesn't have to make sense. And I think we should be able to keep a "reasonable suspension of disbelief" (which is a theatre term but I think it applies to anything fictional). On Lost they didn't really explain where the island came from or why it was so hard to find for a LONG time. So I don't think we need to worry about where Storybrooke came from quite yet.

I like that Eryn, 'reasonable suspension of disbelief'.

For me it makes it more fun not to know how they ended up here or why.It gives us something to theorize about. On Lost, after awhile I perfered the idea of the island not being some real location I could find on a map.

To me Once Upon a Time reminds me a liittle of Syfy's Haven. Woman comes to strange town in Maine with mysterious past and even more mysterious residents.Then she learns she has a deep history with the town that she was not aware of. I like the idea of learning about the town and people as the characters do.

There are some aspects of the show that are hard to believe,but where it is about fairy tales I think it would seem odd if it was too realistic. I think we'll get alot of answers as the show goes on.But I think Storybrooke will remain fairly mysterious in the beginning, just as the island did on Lost.

Macaila
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I want to know HOW they got there. Although we kind of already know a spell sent them there, right? I just don't understand how they can't NOT know...and I can't see a good reason for keeping it a secret unless it's an exceptionally interesting reason, although why would it be? They either have false memories or they don't and if not, why don't they think that's strange?? It's just frustrating
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I feel like it's kind of like Inception, when they feel like they know how they got there but they don't really remember. I think if they tried to remember they would realize that they don't.

Tehe 100% agree. Personally I'm not really bothered about all the unanswered questions, I just enjoy the whole fairytale land where nothing makes sense and everything is possible . I totally heart all the nice characters and love just escaping into that crazy cute world every episode

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
HobbitRockGod wrote:

I like that Eryn, 'reasonable suspension of disbelief'.

It's a term I heard in some class at some point and I liked it. I think it's a good way to look at TV shows or movies or whatever that have worlds that don't quite add up with our own.

I completely agree with you, Emma! *high five* I just like seeing all these fairy tales come to life - it's like kids' stories for grown-ups and I love it!

art by me&tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm honest, I much prefer the fairy tale land stuff to the real life stuff.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason the characters don't remember their fairy tale pasts is because of the curse. I think part of the curse was to supress those memories and to leave the characters with a void.They seem to have been in this town unaging for years, so I think they have false memories that make them think life has always been this way.

I think the reason they don't question their memories or lack there of is actually not that far fetched. Just like real life you may have a strong belief in something and left unchallenged you will keep that belief. But if something challenges that belief, you'll have to examine it and ask yourself if you still believe. In Storybrooke they have had a sheltered existance, no one has challenged that life. Now Henry and Emma are challenging what these people have always thought was true. Now they are starting to realize their belief of the life they have,may not be true.

I think of the memory issue like the sideways storyline on Lost.Until they were 'awoken' they had all built these lives with memories and people (like Jack's son David) that weren't real.

I think to an extent the lives that they have in Storybrooke show their desires for some of the same things they once had in Fairytale land. For examples:
Regina- she wanted power so she is the Mayor. She also named her son Henry after her father in the other world,perhaps as a way to have an incarnation of that person in her life. Mr. Gold- he is still striving for power over people, making crooked deals just as he did as Rumplestiltskin.
Snow white had Prince Charming in the fairytale world, this time she was always working at the hospital, like she knew subconsciously he was there. In the fairytale world Cinderella was about to have to give up her child and lost her prince so in the real world she was able to keep her baby and she regained her relationship with her boyfriend (the prince). I think we would find that the things each character desires most in the fairytale land are the same things they have somehow created for themselves in the real world.

I wonder if there will come a time in the story when they have to chose if they wish to return to Fairytale land or stay in Storybrooke?

Macaila
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:

It just seems like it's stretching the bar in terms of a suspension of disbelief on Once Upon a Time because of how fantastical everything is. That's great that you can watch it without questioning things and more power to you, but I don't feel the same way. Disney movies and fairytales don't necessarily need explanation but when you have this dual world environment and are treating it as a live action serious drama, it kinda needs a bit more explanation for me to buy into it.

For me on Lost, it felt like we were in a much more realistic world because characters were not only dealing with supernatural stuff, they were just trying to survive and we were drip fed answers to the greater mythology throughout the series. It was also a very strong character driven show. The flashbacks in Once Upon a Time are set in a fantasy land that bears no explanation so it's hard to focus in on that. The settings of both worlds have big question marks hanging over them.

We always seemed to have an anchor to what is going on if that makes sense. I guess the first season it would be Locke who saw the island as choosing them etc. and that it was fate that brought them there. Other ones would be maybe Desmond and Daniel Faraday through which we were given explanations of mythology elements. Don't think we have one except for Henry who is staying mum on everything right now, the sneaky little bugger.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to watch the episode a few days ago.

Jiminy ended up being a little more interesting than I expected.

The fact the crickets were abscent from Storybrooke made me wonder what other ordinary, everyday things are also missing from the town.

So if the show continues with the theme of adapting Disney movies, does that mean the dalmation we saw in the episode is one of the 101 dalmations

Here's a small article from Watch With Kristen about the show:
http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/why_once_upon_time_like_buffy_plus_just/278074

Accoring to it
Spoiler:

Regina remembers her life as the evil queen.

What was that at the end of the episode. I really couldn't make it out. Are we supposed to get that what Regina picked up was part of the coffin? Is a coffin what we were supposed to be seeing at the end of the episode?

I thought it was kind of funny that the old mine looked alot like the hatch.And the dog finding the airshaft, just like Vincent alerting everyone that Jack and Charlie were emerging from the cave-in.

I think that mine had to be the one the 7 dwarves worked in back in the fairy tale world.

Those people being turned into puppets was creepy.I've never liked that kind of puppets,this just made them even creepier.I wonder if once the curse if lifted if they will be returned to people.

Prince Charming's dog, Ajax. I think that was also the name on the liquor Jack had when he awoke in the jungle in the pilot of Lost. Of course the name also had mythological and other meanings.There is something with it though because why mention a dog's name 2 or 3 times unless they want us to catch something.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's episode had a few not so subtle Lost references. The McCutchen (I know I'm butchering the spelling of that) liquor bottle was perhaps the most obvious. Then we saw that David lived at the address 44, which was briefly shown as just a 4. Plus we got to see Alan Dale, playing a less evil character than his Lost counterpart.

I am getting the feeling that they plan on dragging out the Mary Margret/David storyline for awhile.I don't think these two are going to get together for awhile.It seems that once they remember each other much of the curses power will fall apart.And when the curse crumbles, they'll all remember and that's pretty much the end of the show.So I think that storyline could stretch out for seasons.

Henry seemed to partially answer the question of why these people don't remember. He told Emma something about them have false memories.

The class room walls when Mary Margret was talking with David,have a design that is like a bean stalk,maybe a nod to Jack and the Beanstalk.

I liked how Mr.Gold's mention of the word Charming, while David was at the pawn shop seemed to almost trigger a memory. Is there supposed to be greater significance to that Windmill?

It almost seems as though Rumplestiltskin may be the most important character. He seems to have dealings with everyone thus far.

I like how David's story of feeling like he is living a life that isn't his mirrored that of Prince Charmings, where he literally was living a life that wasn't his but rather his brothers. Also in both stories he was being lead to be with the wrong woman while in the end he is supposed to be with Snow White/Mary Margret.

The ring Mary Margret has, that was the same one as Prince Charming was given by his mother, correct?

One thing about this show that is strange to me is why do some characters have names very fitting of their characters but others have no relation. It makes it somewhat confusing. Why can't Prince Charming still have the name James?
I really liked how charcters like Regina and Mr.Gold had meaningful names. Even Mary Margret, her last name a variation of a word for white.

It just becomes a little confusing to me trying to remember all these names.

Next week looks interesting. Who do you guys think is going to get killed? I think it could be the Sheriff, especially if he starts to remember things.

Macaila
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they did the switcharoo at the beginning of the episode and brought in the magical twin brother it was oozing some mega cheese but I actually found the story between him and his mother to be quite touching.

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
Tonight's episode had a few not so subtle Lost references. The McCutchen (I know I'm butchering the spelling of that) liquor bottle was perhaps the most obvious. Then we saw that David lived at the address 44, which was briefly shown as just a 4. Plus we got to see Alan Dale, playing a less evil character than his Lost counterpart.

They are grinding on me and seem to be neverending! Don't really understand the point of them except that some of the writers on this show were writers for Lost. I'm more interested in any show easter eggs, pertaining to the show.. there do seem to be quite a few in Mr. Gold's pawnshop. I think I saw some teacups so they could be going for Alice in Wonderland which would be another Disney non fairy tale property.

Alan Dale's accent was really slipping.. he was never that convincing as Widmore but as an american, he is much worse.

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
I am getting the feeling that they plan on dragging out the Mary Margret/David storyline for awhile.I don't think these two are going to get together for awhile.It seems that once they remember each other much of the curses power will fall apart.And when the curse crumbles, they'll all remember and that's pretty much the end of the show.So I think that storyline could stretch out for seasons.

I couldn't stop thinking that when they were on the brink of getting them together, so it was no surprise when it was curtailed. Regina's plan of guiding Charming to the pawnshop in the hope of seeing the windmill, and remembering the right parts of his story seems rather farfetched. It makes me think Mr. Gold is in on it..
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so disappointed when Charming only remembered his false memories!!! I want him and Snow to be together again!

The fake names are extremely confusing. Because Charming has several names. James isn't even his real name, right? Did we even know what his real name was? I can't remember.

Quote:
Alan Dale's accent was really slipping.. he was never that convincing as Widmore but as an american, he is much worse.

His British accent is so much better than his American accent imo, it was noticeable when he played Caleb in The OC too. He'll always be Caleb to me! xD
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Polarbear"] I'm more interested in any show easter eggs, pertaining to the show.. there do seem to be quite a few in Mr. Gold's pawnshop. I think I saw some teacups so they could be going for Alice in Wonderland which would be another Disney non fairy tale property. quote]

I like the show easter eggs as well.I'm glad they are starting to put more in. I'd like to find some screen shots of Mr.Gold's pawn shop because I think it is full of easter eggs.

I noticed the Genie's lamp from Aladin was in there.

I hadn't thought of the tea set being from Alice in Wonderland.That would make sense. My first thought was that it was a nod to Beatuy and the Beast since it had (in the Disney version) singing/talking tea cups etc.I had read an article where TPTB said they had an idea for that.

Jemma, I'm also confused about Prince Charming's many names.I thought James was his name, but that could have been his brother, the real Prince's name. I don't remember hearing the real name of the 2nd Prince Charming.

Macaila
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: