Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Once Upon A Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually quite enjoyed Jiminy's backstory.. although the mine b story was clearly just to kill time. Really liked how they tied Gepetto into his story. It's so sad that his parents were turned into puppets and he's destined to help a boy who is a puppet.

Pinocchio also isn't a faity tale.. makes me worry they are going to have some ridiculous ones down the line just because they are Disney property.

I wasn't sure what that was at the end.. anyone have any ideas?

Apollo bars! The lost references are getting a bit tedious, especially as explicit as this. Kitsis and Horowitz were not lead writers on the show so it seems a bit crass throwing in them everywhere, but maybe it's just because I see it as an inferior show..
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the apollo bars being used!

I think this week was the first episode I wasn't very interested in but then I don't feel that Jiminy is very interesting/important at the moment to everything that is happening.

I think I read somewhere that it was Snow White's casket.

Have you seen the pic of Emilie as Belle? She looks better than I pictured.

N'aww I think that the reason I'm enjoying it so much is because of my disney nerdness haha
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo bars Cool, I'm gonna have to look for that. (I haven't gotten a chance to see this episode yet.) I like the Lost references, especially the subtle ones like the clock being at 8:15.

Jiminy seems an odd character to be getting a backstory. I always thought of him as kind of a secondary character. Although sometimes the storylines that seem less important end up being more significant in the end. I'm curious to see the episode and see Jiminy's story.

I saw the picture of Emilie as Belle.I agree she does look better in the role than what I'd thought.

Here's a little piece from TV Guide about Emilie's role and an upcoming storyline:

'Emilie de Ravin is getting lost in a whole new fantasy world. On the Valentine's Day episode of ABC's Once Upon a Time, tentatively scheduled for February 12, the former Lost star steps into the slippers of Beauty and the Beast's Belle. "Emilie projects a very natural strength and warmth, which are characteristics we wanted to explore with Belle," explains Adam Horowitz, who, along with writing and producing partner Edward Kitsis, kicked off a six-year stint on Lost writing a Claire scene.

While this take on Beauty will veer from the traditional tale as old as time, Edward says Belle will interact with her father, crazy old Maurice, the brutish Gaston and, of course, the Beast. (Alas, no singing dinnerware.) "We have a fun spin on it," he says. Later this season, expect visits from Aladdin and his genie!

Source: TV Guide'

Aladdin? I never really cared for the Disney movie,but I'm curious to see what they do with the story.

I'm gonna have to watch this episode soon, you guys have me curious what's going on.

Macaila
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't overly interested in Jiminy's backstory. I'm not sure how I feel about him. For a conscience he sure isn't very moral!

I'm SO excited to see Emilie as Belle, she looks beautiful!

And Aladdin was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid, so I'm beside myself with excitement over that too!

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with Aladdin is it is clearly set in the Middle East. Fairyland is not our world and it has absolutely no ties to our world so how would that ever make sense?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking Paul! But then I guess they've already Americanised most of the fairy stories here. For instance, I think Snow White was originally German?

And yeah, surely Aladdin is not a fairy story?

Also been wondering, have the fairytale creatures been given false memories?? Otherwise why on Earth aren't they questioning why they can't remember their childhoods or families etc?
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's kinda like Lost season 6 where they have this fake life that they buy into.

I hate the americanisation.. it would have been better if people from fairy land spoke with english accents. It would have made for a cooler offset from each world. Might have proved tricky with casting people who could do that, but it would have been worth it.

What is laughable to me is Gepetto with his Italian accent and noone else we've seen with that accent in fairy tale land, not to mention as a kid he had an american accent. It's like everyone speaks with american accents except for Gepetto and presumably Aladdin when he gets introduced.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of the things that kinda annoys me with the accents I mean I think English accents are more favourable with these kind of things because it's much much older than the American accent, so it makes the world they're creating a lot more believable. However, this is an American TV show with an American cast, set in America (at least Storybrooke is) so it probably wouldn't work to use English accents, especially if they're awful lol

But yeah, it totally doesn't make sense in the case of Gepetto or Aladdin. This is going to be really annoying, actually, if Aladdin is American...It doesn't matter so much for cartoons but these little things are really noticeable in stuff like this with real actors.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been okay if they were terrible accents though because it was fairy tale land after all

They're basically making live action Disney which saddens me because that was never ever going to be realistic enough for a serious drama on tv. I do love Disney movies but they have their own place for me and there is no need to treat them as serious drama. Not only that they are meshing too many stories together in fairy tale land to make it even less believable.

I feel like such a downer on this thread lol
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooo, I hate bad English accents, they always sound Scottish for some reason

Yeah it does seem to be heading that way and I don't really want it to because it'll just make it ridiculous! Who will we see in Storybrooke next??Mickey Mouse??

Haha I know. I am really enjoying this show though I want to see more Princesses though!! Can't wait to see Emilie as Belle!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the show takes place in America, I would find it less believable if they all had English accents. If it was a town in England it would make sense, but since the fairy tale characters have been transported to a town somewhere in America, then it wouldn't make sense for them to sound English.

I think the accents are something a little nitpicky to get hung up on. If they were doing bad fake accents THEN I'd have a problem.

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted them to have english accents in fairy tale land and then american accents in StoryBrooke. Just think it would have been a great contrast between the two worlds and like Jemma says English accents sound more timeless, perhaps it's just conditioning from movies but that's the way it is.

Trust me it's not my only problem! I think this show is a love/hate thing for me. I do enjoy watching the show just for different reasons than most of you here probably. It's like that show that you watch just to make fun of it lol
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted them to have english accents in fairy tale land and then american accents in StoryBrooke

LOL I was thinking that but I don't see that working either. It is nitpicky, but it's one of my pet peeves I guess.

I do enjoy this show. I think Paul is being a bit harsh!!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the show too. I've missed a couple episodes, though, I need to fill in on what I've missed!

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have for example done a Lost on us and had it like the episode Across the Sea.. had them speaking in a foriegn language and then it translates into american english. Right there would have wiped away any problems I had with that in particular.

I guess my problem with it ties into the unrealistic aspects of the whole show.. how there is a land where all these fairy tale (and non fairy tale characters mind you) reside and there is very little explanation of anything at all including where this fairy tale land is in relation to our world.

How can StoryBrooke exist in our world and have suddenly appeared there 28 years ago without anyone in our world finding out about it? Surely we would have seen someone come to the town apart from Emma.

Maybe it's asking too much to get some of these questions answered so early but they have to give us something that makes sense of it all in real terms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: