Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Biggest Question Ever: Pondered!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: The Biggest Question Ever: Pondered! Reply with quote

Watching the DVD again, something connected in my head that didn't before

We need to find out what shoes Christian Shepard was wearing in his coffin.

Take a few seconds to ponder that and figure out why I'm saying this...

Okay, go.

When Jack wakes up in the pilot and runs off into the jungle, he passes by a single white tennis shoe hanging from the bamboo. Nobody questions why they put it there, and why the camera lingers on it.
Later, in White Rabbit, when Jack sees his father close-up despite him being dead, the guy is WEARING white tennis shoes. A fashion choice that really doesn't seem to fit with a formal suit, and certainly not a corpse on its way to a funeral... Some of the commentators also mentioned the shoes in "Walkabout", and a couple of times in the DVD, when one of the specials talked about "mysteries", they waved the transcript of the episode, with the line "WHITE TENNIS SHOE" right in the middle of it all.

I think there could be more than meets the eye here. It certainly seems that we're meant to make something more of that shoe hanging from the bamboo than the camera showed. Do I think the whole Jack's dad thing was planned when they made the pilot? no. But they might have integrated that shoe, which they certainly had soem reason for putting it into the pilot, into the storyline.

Now WHY is this at all important? So he's wearing shoes, so what? Well, if he wasn't wearing them before the crash, then that means that Jack's dad really is real, and not a figment of his imagination. If he traded his black shoes for the tennis shoes, then that also means that he has needs which need to be fulfilled, such as comfort while hiking around the island... A living trait, I presume?
It could be argued that Jack just imagined his dad anyway, except imagined him with tennis shoes. That could be possible, but it seems strange to me.... why would he subconciously change his father's appearance from the familliar?

Sure, it's not all that much of a lead to anything special... but it's something! Somethign I didn't notice before this, anyway, so I thought it was kinda interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the shoes on Jack's dad just symbolized his 'White Rabbit' nature.

I also think the hanging shoe probably had no importance when shoting the pilot - except for foreshadowning the madness of the crash scene Jack would find a few seconds later.

But I also think they knew that lingering on the shoe was planting a seed that could become important later if the writers wanted it to.

but that's just my view... of the shoe.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP! Hobbes you're right!
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:

LMFAO
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I get so used to thinking of E as [pompous voice] "The Webmaster" [/pompous voice] that I forget that sense of humor that came up with the "Out of Context" vids! Too funny, E!

As for the shoe theory... Sure the writers could have had that much forethought. I bet they're gonna work it in some place now. At the time, I just took it as a warning of the crash mayhem that was to come after Jack's "peaceful" waking up.

Well, peaceful except for when I thought Vincent was gonna run over and eat his face off or something! But that was before I knew how cool and lovely Vincent was, of course!

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:

Don't patronize me!

Yeah, I know they definitely didn't have that much forethought about the shoe when they put it there I agree it probably was part of the plane crash meyhem then. However, it would be much easier to gather the forethought and integrate it into "White Rabbit". Maybe just as a wardrobe thing idea for Jack's dad, but still... the white-shoed corpse thing still seems odd and they've used a lot of little tidbits in the Pilot to make big storylines, such as Sawyer's note.

but "the shoes on Jack's dad just symbolized his 'White Rabbit' nature" thing works too Jerks... putting tennis shoes on a corpse...

But hey! Maybe they'll see this thread and think it's a good idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prolly Jack will find white shoes and think of his dad*gg* time will tell
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: