Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent hack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Recent hack Reply with quote

LVI has been under attack this week from a persistent hacker, grr. If you've received any warnings from your anti-virus, if the site has looked or acted strange at all for you, I HIGHLY suggest scanning for viruses and malware immediately (hopefully with multiple reputable programs since often programs deal with different areas/types of viruses and malware and they can help cover each other's blind spots).

My computer was completely trashed by this virus to the point that I had to wipe the hard drive and start over again. So I definitely know of what I speak. This virus wasn't a "destroy your computer" kind, it was the identity theft kind. So it tries to not interfere with your computer's ability to run because it wants you to stay online and order things and put in your passwords and such while it silently collects all of that info and reports back to the identity thieves with it. Very, VERY evil stuff and luckily I realized that's what had hit me before it compromised any of my accounts!

Please do let us know right away if anything seems wrong with the site. Thanks so much for your help and your understanding.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advice everyone to do a virus scan of their computers! Even if you think you got through unscathed with this recent attack. I was sure I did, ran a scan to be sure, and found 7 viruses, managed to wipe it clean and gave it one hell of a scan, scanning again now to make sure everything's gone, but definitely check up on your software!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yikes, Kat! Were any of them the viruses that hit me or did you get your own "personal" batch?

And that's what was scary about this attack, the viruses seemed designed to slip silently into your computer and not affect the way it works so you didn't know it was there. That way it could capture your log-ins and passwords and things like credit card info if you bought something online and just REALLY mess things up for you by stealing your personal info if it possibly could.

This is NOT something you want hiding on your computer, so again, if you came to LVI, especially the main site, this past week, please do scan your computers with every security program you have, even if your computer appears to be running fine. You're much better safe than sorry when it comes to this one!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were my own personal batch; all weaseled into the Win32 region :S:S I've scanned twice more since I found them and its clean, but still everything seemed fine to start with; that's how they get ya!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: