Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions, concerns or complaints
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Questions, concerns or complaints Reply with quote

If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about anything on LVI, feel free to post them here or to PM a Council Member directly.

To start, here are a few Frequently Asked Questions:

1. My vid had a Gold/Silver/Bronze Viewers Pick and now it's dropped to Silver/Bronze/None. Why?

Viewer Pick voting is on-going and fluid, which means that the last vote is just as important as the first vote. With each new vote, the VP result is recalculated, with consideration given to the "weight" of the rank of the member who is doing the voting. Novice vidders carry less weight than an Expert vidder, for example. If you notice you have a variety of VP votes, say both Gold and Silver, then your VP is on the line between the two and the next vote could cause it to sway it one way or the other. It's not that one vote that's changing the VP so much as the consensus of all of the votes your vid has received.

2. I think that somebody has it out for me and is purposefully trying to vote down my vids.

That's something we take quite seriously and if you have reason to believe there's some sort of unethical voting taking place, please do bring that to our attention right away, either on this thread or by PM-ing a Council Member. We'll look into the votes on whichever of your vids you feel something is amiss on and we'll do what we can to make it right.

That said, we're not trying to be the voting police, telling people what they can and can't vote. When we upgraded to allow the entire membership to vote, we placed our trust in you that you'll vote fairly and ethically. That means DON'T base your vote on whether you like/don't like the song, you like/don't like the ship/character/fandom, or whether you like/don't like the vidder themselves personally. Don't trade votes (in other words, offer to vote Gold for someone if they vote Gold for you) or solicit for votes (ask people to go vote Gold on your vid). Vote for the reasons you would want somebody to use to vote for your own vids: the quality of the editing, the originality of the story, how well the effects were used to convey the meaning, those kinds of things.

If everyone sticks to voting for the actual quality and skill of the vid itself, then we'll have a lot less worries about the voting system being misused.

3. I'm still not satisfied with my VP result. What can I do?

Obviously we can't guarantee everyone a Gold VP with every vid. But if you would like a detailed review of your vid covering things that we think you might could improve on in the future, feel free to make use of this thread and let us know which of your vids it is and whether you'd prefer to be answered in the thread itself or by PM. Or also feel free to PM a Council Member directly and we'll get back to you as soon as we can with our feedback.

4. Council Members can participate -- and sometimes win -- the monthly contest. Isn't that unfair?

When Lostcalier (site founder), Enchirito (original webmaster), Hobbes (Warren, current webmaster) and the rest of the original LVI Council set up the monthly contests, they came up with a clever way to allow CMs to participate without receiving an unfair advantage. With this newest multi-fandom incarnation of LVI, we've opted to tweak that system a bit further by completely excluding a CM who has entered the contest from being able to even see the voting process, much less have any influence over it. CMs have never voted on their own vids in the contests but now with this new "blind" voting system we've implemented, they no longer can even watch the process unfold. Hopefully assuage any concerns that CMs have any unfair advantage in the contests.

Every contest vid is judged individually and with a series of criteria that includes most predominantly if the vid followed the rules for that specific contest and how well it fits the contest. Often we'll see vids in the contest that are, on their own, excellent vids, but they either didn't follow part of the contest rules or they simply don't "fit" the contest well.

We never sit down and basically say, "Who do we want to 'give' first place to this month? Why not Vidder X? I like her! But I don't like Vidder Y, so lets make sure she doesn't get anything! And Vidder Z did that ship I can't stand, so nothing for him!" We work hard to vote fairly, impartially and with intergrity, focusing ONLY on the vid, not the song, ship, character, vidder or anything else. Just only the merits of the vid itself.

We also don't base our contest voting on who are friends are or whether or not the vid we're judging at the time should happen to belong to another CM.

5. How are Council Members chosen?

We look for a lot more than just great vidding skills (though those are definitely a plus! ). We look for active members, for people who are willing to devote the time and effort into keeping the site running, for those who aren't just willing but eager to help. First and foremost, we look for people with integrity, who can be trusted with the responsibilities as well as the privileges that come with this position.

We always have our eyes open for the next person we'd like to extend an invitation to, so if this is a job you think you'd like to have, the best way to impress us is to keep making great vids, stay active on the forums, and show us that you're trustworthy, considerate and willing to work to keep LVI up and running!

6. It's been (X) number of days and my contest vid hasn't gotten a Council Pick. Does that mean it's not going to?

Not at all! Because contest vids are judged after the deadline for that particular contest has passed, Council Members often don't cast a VP vote for a vid before that time. So if you submit a vid early in the month, it might not receive a CP until almost a month later, once the deadline has passed. However, there's no rule that we can't cast our VP votes as soon as we see a vid (Viewer Pick voting is individual to each CM and separate from the contest voting, so we can do that whenever we'd like). So some contest vids may very well end up with a CP before the contest, while others not until after and, of course, there's no guarantee that a vid will receive a CP at all. (See # 3 on this list for what to do if you're not satisfied with your VP vote results.) It's just all a matter of individual preference for the CMs.

Hopefully this will help clear up confusion on this matter.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't like "OMG" just annoying.

LVI likes duplicating my posts. I've double posted when my comp has froze on me before, usually I'm like "Crap..." And know there's a chance it's going to duplicate my post. But the last couple of times it just happens randomly. No freezing, I'll hit it once, hit the to go back, and it'll duplicate.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw your beard comment. Yeah I forgot that rumor about Leo is still going around.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw your beard comment. Yeah I forgot that rumor about Leo is still going around.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke wrote:

LVI likes duplicating my posts. I've double posted when my comp has froze on me before, usually I'm like "Crap..." And know there's a chance it's going to duplicate my post. But the last couple of times it just happens randomly. No freezing, I'll hit it once, hit the to go back, and it'll duplicate.

Ugh, I know what you mean, it just seems like the server takes spells of double posting like that! I'm afraid that one is beyond our ability to fix, sorry! Hopefully they'll get rid of their little twitch again soon! *fingers crossed*

Brooke wrote:

Was that meant for here?
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Brooke wrote:

Ugh, I know what you mean, it just seems like the server takes spells of double posting like that! I'm afraid that one is beyond our ability to fix, sorry! Hopefully they'll get rid of their little twitch again soon! *fingers crossed*

Brooke wrote:

Was that meant for here?

No it wasn't meant for her. It was meant for Spam about a few hours ago.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee, I thought it might've been!
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to check before re-submitting- I tried to sumbit 2 videos a few days ago and I don't think they've gone through. Was just looking to double check with you guys that they aren't there incase I end up submitting them twice!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked Debbie and I don't see either of them there Go ahead an resubmit them, I hope it works this time

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie you might be having the problem that loads of us had when we started to submit vids with the new format:

http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24392

Check out that post to see if it helps

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
Just wanted to check before re-submitting- I tried to sumbit 2 videos a few days ago and I don't think they've gone through. Was just looking to double check with you guys that they aren't there incase I end up submitting them twice!

Debbie, what did the site do when you submitted them? Did it give any errors or did it just sort of hang up (and at what point in the process)? It should take you to a page when you've submitted your vid successfully that tells you it should be on site soon. Did it give you that page or did it never get there to begin with?

Also, was your vid pic a .jpg, 201x113 and under 20kb? It's supposed to tell you if it's not accepting the vid because of some issue with the pic but, well, occasionally it just doesn't bother.

So sorry for the trouble but hopefully we'll get this figured out ASAP!
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be totally honest with you Ais, I can't remember! My memory is rubbish! It's most likely been that I've not checked that's it's gone through. I was doing it in a rush. It's probably been my pic! I'll re-submit!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, hon! I see they both went through so all's well that ends well! If it gives you any further issues, though, don't hesitate to let us know and we'll see what we can do to help on our end!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. If two people tie up for second or for first, why no third for winner for the contest?
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: