Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contest Vote System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastrato
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Contest Vote System Reply with quote

I Believe the Contest Vote System should improve.
As it is right now ,sometimes, it pushes the vidders not to express themselfs during the voting .What i mean is simple.
If a video submission is Super then everything is a lot easier.
Lots of vidders
votes and also chooses not to hide their votes .But if a video is on silver or bronze level then the vidders who participate to the contest ,chooses to hide their votes .
They may think that its an easy way to vote and at the same time
"protect" their submissions from bad voting.
I never really got right the hidden-vote option . Generally whats its use...
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Viewer Picks? The contests are voted for separately off the main forum by Council Members only; not the members of the site, and the amount of votes they have or don't have doesn't impact voting. A vid that has no votes could win over a vid that has ten votes because its all done by the Council off the main forum

I personally don't like using the Hidden vote system myself, but since it's the default half the time I forget to uncheck it. But its up to each person to decide. Some people like hiding their votes to stop members from personally attacking them and asking "Why did you vote my vid Bronze? Do you hate me?" or something else unnecessary.

If you feel like one or more of your videos has been unfairly voted on; you can ask the Council to review it to make sure everything's ok

I hope this answers your question

Kastrato
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know that the contest results depends only on council member sub-voting .Hey that itself is another serrious matter for further discussion.
But lets focus on the viewers picks .Whats more interesting than a clear
not hidden voting system.
I dont believe that most of the vidders will vote ugly against the submissions and if someone will,we'll all have the chance to find out if the vidder is wrong or right about the ugly attack,because we will be able to check on that vidder's voting history and find out the truth behind his voting judgment.Anyway ,a gold video will remain gold even if it obtains
one or two silvers or bronzes and the shame will be on these one or two who had vote ugly against a true gold submission.

About the contest council member sub-voting i must say this.
I believe its more awesome to change this system and replace it with something far more interesting .What if each Council Member has a special vote on the Contest but also must count the single vidders votes .
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again; that will just give someone the open right to completely bash a person for their opinion. Not everyone likes every video. And there might be one video most people do like but one doesn't, so if that person votes it lower, they might then get a barrage of complaints, which is unfair, and might turn them away from the site completely. And you're right, a gold will remain gold even if it has a couple of odd silvers. So what does it matter in the long run? It's still comes up as a gold video No point in trying to please everyone because it can't happen. If you don't want to hide your votes; awesome. But some people do; and that's why the option is there, so its up to the individual to make the choice.

About Council contest votes, it's not a 'special' vote or anything that adds to the video itself on the site, nor do we hide the fact from vidders that it is just the Council who vote. Its voting we do separately that adds nothing to the video. We vote gold, silver, bronze, just like everyone else. And if we were to include all the vidders votes from the members, then that creates a much bigger disadvantage and becomes a popularity contest where people might only vote for their friends, or get their friends to create fake accounts just to vote up their videos - it sounds crazy, but believe me, worse has happened.

I do totally understand where you're coming from and if there was a way to be able to do it and make sure that every single member followed the rules perfectly; then we would do it; but due to many unfortunate incidents in LVI's past we are well too familiar with people breaking the rules; so we stick with what works for us.

We believe in fair voting and that is explained in much more detail here:
http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19745

Kastrato
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see what you mean but i can also see in a way ... the past hunting the future .In my opinion the future must become more flexible .
And a more flexible future status will also forces the vidders to new ideas and even greater submission projects.
Fake accounts and friendly ugly voting is serrious but if you should override these incidents then the Gold the Silver and the Bronze upgrades to a higher new level ,a level that forces us the vidders to improve our ideas and submissions.The bad makes good ,i dont want that kind of protection you discribed ,dont want to feel like am in a glass.
Let some "Bad" come and those who respect the exeptional will protect the pure from the " evil "
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well; the future of LVI is that it is going Multi-fandom; so things will definitely be changing. The specifics of which I can't discuss; but we have discussed ways for vidders to receive more critical and helpful feedback on their videos in the future

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat pretty much covered all of your questions but I wanted to add a couple of points.

The contests are based on a theme every month. We do greatly encourage creativity and imagination when it comes to contests entries BUT they still must be on the theme. The best angst vid ever made won't win a humor contest, in other words. However, a vid that fits the theme in a creative way that also meets other criteria of great vids (cleanly done, without stray frames, good clip choices, etc.) will probably place very high.

We definitely want to see vidders challenge themselves to do new and innovative things with their work whether for the contest or not! However, if their vid ends up no longer meeting the theme of the contest, then there's no reason why they can't just submit it as a "regular" vid instead. That's actually something that a lot of people end up doing: their vid takes a different turn than they expected so they simply submit it as a regular vid instead of entering it in a contest it no longer really suits.

LVI's contests have always been judged only by the Council Members. You can read more about how we handle that here (scroll down to point number 4).

As for the hidden vote system, as Kat mentioned, everyone has the option to vote anonymously or not. However, you may not be aware of the fact that even a hidden vote is visible to the Council Members. We keep an eye on things and note any sorts of trends that seem to indicate that votes are being cast in an unfair manner.

Obviously, there will never be a system that's perfect, whether it's a contest or an entire site, nor will everybody be happy with how things are run. But we do the very best that we can to keep things fair and impartial as well as to encourage creativity, innovation and fun!

That's really the main motivation behind doing contests at all, to have something fun to do that we can all participate in! And at the same time, hopefully we can each learn from each other as well. We all have different vidding styles and strengths. There is no one "right" way to do a vid and we try to honor them all. But there are also some things that are fairly standard to all good vids, no matter what their style. We do our best to balance all of those things when it comes to judging contests or casting our personal Viewer's Picks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: