Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Spartacus: Blood and Sand Reply with quote

I just started watching this show this week when I rented the first disc. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at all after the first couple of episodes, but then the story/characters really grew on me and I'm hooked! I love this time period anyway, and it has some great actors. I've watched the first 8 episodes so far and I'm going to start disc 3 tonight.

So far I'm a big fan of Spartacus (of course) and Varro, but I like most of the characters in their own way. I'm scared to get too attached to any particular characters though! I mean, this show is about gladiators... any of them could just die at any time aside from Spartacus! lol But it's pretty interesting.

Anyone else watch this show? Who are your fave characters?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda meh on this after the first few eps but then it totally does pick up as it goes along and I was hooked by the end!

Spartacus and Varro ended up being two of my favs as well and I also ended up shipping Crixus/Naevia a lot. Crixus can be a ginormous jerk but I loved him with Naevia. I also really liked Doctore as well.

All of the characters are really well cast, though, IMO. Whether they're scheming bad guys or gladiators just trying to survive or whomever, I cared about what happened to all of them by the end, even if I was rooting for them to lose, lol!

I don't want to say too much because I don't want to accidentally spoil you. Let me know when you've seen the whole season!

I don't know if you know what happened with Andy Whitfield who plays Spartacus? It's tremendously sad, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma right after they finished the first season and he went right into treatment for it. They pushed back filming season 2 to try to give him a chance to recover and they even went ahead and started on a prequel (which is airing in January) to buy him as much time as possible. But his cancer reoccurred and he's going to have to have more aggressive treatment so he withdrew from the show and they're looking to recast now. I just think that's so sad, he's only in his mid-thirties and is in awesome shape, you'd never think he'd get something so seriously wrong with him.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the story really got me after the 3rd ep or so. It's funny, I like all the characters in their own way. I even like the tricky/jerky ones like Lucretia, Batiatus, and Crixus (even if he can be a douche). I also ship Crixus and Naevia! They're so sweet together, plus, there's that whole "forbidden love" aspect of it. I don't much care for Crixus/Lucretia, but I think that's because I know Crixus doesn't feel the same way.

*heaves a loooong sigh* No worries about spoiling me. I accidentally spoiled myself a few minutes ago and I am quite upset. LOL

Spoiler:

I was trying to google a pic of Varro to show Kat, cuz we were talking about the show in spam (she's only seen a few eps) and one of the first things that came up on the autocorrect google search thingie was "varro spartacus death" THIS IS SO LAME! Just as I was saying I was afraid he would die!! lol Oh well.. *sigh*

Awww, no! That's so so sad about Andy Whitfield! The last that I heard about it, he was responding well to the treatment and could be back to filming soon, but that was a while back. That's really upsetting, like you said, that it just comes out of no where. I saw that they were doing the prequel, but it's so sad that they might have to recast! It just won't be the same.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SassyLostie2 wrote:
Yeah, the story really got me after the 3rd ep or so. It's funny, I like all the characters in their own way. I even like the tricky/jerky ones like Lucretia, Batiatus, and Crixus (even if he can be a douche). I also ship Crixus and Naevia! They're so sweet together, plus, there's that whole "forbidden love" aspect of it. I don't much care for Crixus/Lucretia, but I think that's because I know Crixus doesn't feel the same way.

With Crixus/Lucretia, it's an interesting reverse of the more normal way that you see in movies or TV where it's the man who's forcing the woman to go along with things. Here it's Crixus you more feel sorry for because, for all his physical strength, he's powerless against her and has no choice but to go along with what she wants. It gives it a really interesting dynamic in that way even though it's such a horrible thing to see somebody being forced against their will to have to submit like that.

SassyLostie2 wrote:
*heaves a loooong sigh* No worries about spoiling me. I accidentally spoiled myself a few minutes ago and I am quite upset. LOL

Spoiler:

I was trying to google a pic of Varro to show Kat, cuz we were talking about the show in spam (she's only seen a few eps) and one of the first things that came up on the autocorrect google search thingie was "varro spartacus death" THIS IS SO LAME! Just as I was saying I was afraid he would die!! lol Oh well.. *sigh*

Spoiler:

I was sitting here going, OH NO, POOR VARRO!!! That totally broke my heart, not just that it happened but how it happened. *zips lips so not to spoil you further*

SassyLostie2 wrote:
Awww, no! That's so so sad about Andy Whitfield! The last that I heard about it, he was responding well to the treatment and could be back to filming soon, but that was a while back. That's really upsetting, like you said, that it just comes out of no where. I saw that they were doing the prequel, but it's so sad that they might have to recast! It just won't be the same.

I really hated to hear that about his relapse. He just looks so healthy, you can't imagine he'd get something like that. Which just goes to show cancer can affect anybody at any time.

They're down to three actors to take over the role. They're all relatively unknown but just on looks alone, the first guy, Stephen Amell, looks the most like Andy to me. Guess we'll have to see who ends up winning the part. I just really wish they didn't have to recast under these circumstances, especially. But they really tried to give Andy every opportunity to get well and they pushed things back as far as they could without having to lose their sets. After this last relapse, Andy told them to recast because he has to focus all of his energy on getting better. The Starz execs really seemed upset about it, they definitely didn't want to lose him in the role but they understood that his health has to come first, of course.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching THE SCENE now, Aislynn. I'm actually so upset over this that I paused the DVD. I feel so stupid. xD It's just a tv show, but noooo, he's my favorite! It makes me so sad...

I will respond to your other post after.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, don't feel bad, I totally got all *teary eyed/wobbly lipped* during that scene! It was terrible! (Well, it was apparently good drama 'cause it got to me so much, of course, but you know what I mean... )

*offers hugs and tissues to get through the rest of the scene*

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*takes the tissues* Thank you. I need those. I watched the scene... it made me very sad! Gosh, that was so heartbreaking! Little brat kid!! And Illythia. I blame her.

Aislynn wrote:
With Crixus/Lucretia, it's an interesting reverse of the more normal way that you see in movies or TV where it's the man who's forcing the woman to go along with things. Here it's Crixus you more feel sorry for because, for all his physical strength, he's powerless against her and has no choice but to go along with what she wants. It gives it a really interesting dynamic in that way even though it's such a horrible thing to see somebody being forced against their will to have to submit like that.

I find it really interesting too, because you don't normally see a storyline like that. I also find it sad from the reverse angle because I think Lucretia really does love him and thinks that he has feelings for her as well. Clearly she's distracted when she's with her husband, but she adores Crixus and in the same way that she's no longer interested in her husband in that way, Crixus is distracted thinking of Naevia.

He does look healthy! It's just so strange to hear that he's so sick. That one minute he was fine and the next he had to stop work (not that it happened that quickly).

I actually think the second guy looks a bit closer to Andy, only in intensity and the coloring of the picture. The other guy you mentioned is pretty close too. Aww, I'm still sad that he has to be recast though.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you finished the season yet Sass? I really want to hear what you think

And I'm really sad at the news that they're recasting. It's just not gonna be the same without Andy in that role I know he needs to focus on getting better and everything, but I think it'd be worth the wait until he gets better, rather than recast, and risk getting a really bad actor in the part....
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the last episode to watch. I wanna go grab it today and let you know when I've finished!

I'd love them to keep Andy too! I wish there were a way, but from experience (through 2 different family members in a year and a half who had aggressive cancer) if you're going to get better from this, you do need to focus on lots of rest. The treatments really take a lot out on you, ALOT, and think how much pressure Andy must have on him, knowing that EVERYONE was waiting on starting a new season of the show just because of him for so long already. I know I'd feel terrible. Besides, it is also a money thing for the show. I totally understand why they're recasting, it's probably best for everyone, save the audience (aww, I loved him as Spartacus, he was just a fantastic choice), but it is really sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: