Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selective color in Vegas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Selective color in Vegas? Reply with quote

I have a clip of a woman wearing a green shirt. I would like to figure out how to grayscale everything, including her, except for her green shirt -- I know how to remove the green, but how would you suggest I keep the green, so as to grayscale everything else? It doesn't need to be 100% split, but just enough to emphasize the color of the shirt.

If this can be done with just filters, no masks, it will be even better, so I don't have to isolate movement. Thanks!

PS: I think Channel Blend is the way to do this, just can't figure out the equation!
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard request; I found a freeware filter for it here.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found something for it! Since Vegas Movie Studio doesn't have the secondary color corrector, that's not an effect I can do with it unless I try the old "copy the clip, put one on top of the other, black and white one of them, then cross my fingers that the shape I want to have color just happens to fit one of my cookie cutter shapes" thing. (My kingdom for the ability to do a point-to-point mask as well as to have that secondary color corrector and to do track compositing. I'd also like a pony since I'm asking for things I can't have anyway... )

Anyway, that's good to know that somebody is out there making tweaks and such for Vegas.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that freeware filter would work in Movie Studio? I am not sure whether filters are portable, but it seems like it should be, and I don't think it operates using the secondary color corrector algorithm. It worked like a charm, anyway. I was staring at a list of four columns with five different equations in them, going, 'It's way too late for this,' so...

As far as point-to-point mask, could you cut out a shape in Photoshop/Gimp/etc. and then port it to Vegas and use it as an overlay? You would be limited to relatively still clips, and I don't know if that's even possible, but it might be a closer match than the default shapes, anyway.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'm not sure if Movie Studio would be able to run a filter or not. It would certainly be awesome if it could! Having some decent sort of color control would really be nice!

And yep, I've done overlays like that in the past and it can work well depending on what you're going for. Like this moment in one of my Doctor Who vids, I needed it to look like the Ninth Doctor was looking around the wall at Rose. Which was inconvenient because Rose was clearly in the shot with him. So I capped the scene, made everything transparent but the brick wall, and used it to mask Rose out of the shot. As far as I know, nobody who's watched the vid has ever realized that was a trick shot.

Comparison of my vid in the top picture to the scene in the episode.

Spoiler:

I've also been trying to work out a way to use the pre-cut cookie cutter shapes in creative ways, such as doubling or tripling the clip and using the cookie cutter to mask different moving parts. This Sherlock [BBC]/Sherlock Holmes (2009) vid has my best effort from 1:00 to about 1:07 (he's from Sherlock [BBC] and she's from the SH (2009) movie in case you're not familiar with either ) and I was fairly proud of the results.

Necessity, mother of invention, all that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: