Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vidding on a Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Vidding on a Mac Reply with quote

Hello everyone! As some of you may know, I've just switched from using a PC to a Mac. Sooooo, this is a problem for my vidding because all my files are either in .wmv, .mpg, or .avi filetype. And these file types don't seem to want to open in Adobe Premiere or iMovie.

I haven't tried Final Cut yet, but I may go to that... Would that accept the aforementioned filetypes?

If not, what filetypes DO work with Adobe Premiere/Final Cut/iMovie? Any sort of help would be appreciated, I'm getting a little frustrated here!

icon by becca
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use final cut and it lets me use wmv or mov. files. The old imovie used to let you use wmv files so I guess the new version is just retarded. I'm not sure about Adobe Premiere. I know Emma uses that. I think you might be able to download the old version of imovie. I thought I saw a link to it somewhere on this site once...hmmm but I'm not sure where it is now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find a codec that'll allow you to import .avi files here: http://www.techsmith.com/codecs.asp Thanks for bringing it to my attention that you can actually get them in there hehe, it'll save me ages in converting now

I'm not sure if it'll allow you to import .mpg files, I haven't been able to try it I don't really understand how they work properly and what the difference is, but you could try changing the name of the file to .mp4 (obviously, make a duplicate of the file before you try that, if you do, incase it doesn't work. I wouldn't want you to lose the file ). I've always been able to import .mp4 files easily

If not, like I said on twitter, the only other solution I've found is to convert them using Handbrake (here's the link incase you need it http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php). I learnt using a tutorial from here where it says
Quote:
This entry from my Vidding Blog has more detailed information about ripping and preparing clips by using Handbrake. (Link opens to new window.) [Update: This entry is now made friends-only. Friend me and if I see you're a fellow vidder, I'll friend you back!]

but they've changed the entry to friends-only on livejournal. But if you need any help using Handbrake, don't hesitate to ask and I'll try my best to help ya

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SO MUCH, Emma! Handbrake works and everything, and I think I can figure the rest out now! Yay!

icon by becca
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem hun! . Glad you got it working ok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: