Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shannon & Sayid... forever. (Why it makes sense)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Shannon & Sayid... forever. (Why it makes sense) Reply with quote

I know it really bothered a lot of people that Sayid and Shannon were together in the end since a lot of people thought Nadia should have been his "soulmate". I've given this a lot of thought, and here's why I think it makes sense.

I think we're inclined to think of Nadia as Sayid's soulmate because their love story was kinda epic. They grew up together, met on opposing sides of a war as adults--and he risked everything to save her life. He pined for her for months on the island and then they hooked up and were married after his rescue, and obviously he was pretty devastated by her death. They seemed to be the perfect couple, very much in love.

So, I can see why people think they should have been together in the end.

But...

However unexpectedly, Sayid fell in love with Shannon on the island. Granted, they had no particular reason at the time to believe their rescue was imminent, but they were always working toward that possibility. Even from the moment Sayid first fell for Shannon, he knew there was at least a chance he'd get off the island at some point. Yet, even despite this possibility, he still chose to pursue his interest in Shannon--even if that meant getting off the island and being with her instead of Nadia. Sayid had a choice, and he chose Shannon.

So, that said, even though he ended up married to Nadia in the long run, I think it still makes sense that he was with Shannon in the end.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me I think Shannon and Sayid were not soulmates, there was love there for sure, I enjoyed their time together. But I think since Sayid's most important time was during the island it makes sense that he would recontact with Shannon.

I would have bought into the Shannon/Sayid being soulmates more if they had more time together.

NOW if they are soulmates that's fine, but they should have conveyed that more in writing their love story.
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft. Shayid wins. I thought they were PERFECT together - even more so than Sayid and Nadia.

And especially since Sayid and Nadia were not together in the altiverse, that makes me think they weren't really meant to be. Shannon and Sayid both needed each other on the island. I never really felt that Nadia was as much in love with Sayid as he was with her, but then again we never really saw her side of the story. But Shayid felt more real to me.

art by me&tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo! Good point, Eryn!

Yeah, Brooke... they really didn't get much time to develop Sayid and Shannon's relationship, although the time they did have together was pretty intense, at least.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writers have pushed Sayid and Nadia since Shannon died so everyone thinks they should be together. I see that relationship as something that Sayid sees as someone he should be with as opposed to someone who he has a basic deep connection with. With Sayid pining over Nadia and not seeing himself as worthy for her in the alt verse proves this to me.

If you go back and watch the Shayid scenes they are really beautiful and touching. To call that a fling is disrespectful.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you go back and watch the Shayid scenes they are really beautiful and touching. To call that a fling is disrespectful.

Totally agree with ya there, Paul.

icon by becca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: