Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Macaila!

To answer your questions, yes, the limit for this contest is still 10 minutes despite Youtube changing their maximum time.

We'll handle extension requests for this contest like we do with any other; if it comes right down to the deadline and anybody needs a day or two to finish up, we'll grant it. This definitely is a difficult contest and we want to give everybody who attempts it as much of a fighting chance to submit an entry as possible!

Hopefully, though, since we did start the contest so early, then everybody will be able to make the deadline. If it's the day of the deadline or so, though, and you don't know if you can get it submitted before it closes, please do be sure to let us know and we'll be glad to work with you!

Good luck!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my questions.

I think I'll be done by the deadline but it's good to know if I need to I can get an extension.

I was planning on only making my video 10 minutes long anyway,but I wanted to check on the limit before I got too far along.

Macaila
grable24
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just submitted my entry! Hope you guys like it.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Macaila!

That's awesome, Lauren! I see we've received it and it should be on site in a bit!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to begin on the season 3 section of my video but my Sony Vegas is acting really strange. I went to use the help button and it told me it didn't have enough memory to complete this task.It also took me several trys to get it to even open the video section so I could import clips.I think my computer is starting to get bogged down with clips.I don't think I can really move on with my video until I find a way to clear up some space.

I was just wondering how everyone else is handling making such a long video with so many clips.Is it best to render the video in blocks and then put it all together again at the end?

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
I'm getting ready to begin on the season 3 section of my video but my Sony Vegas is acting really strange. I went to use the help button and it told me it didn't have enough memory to complete this task.It also took me several trys to get it to even open the video section so I could import clips.I think my computer is starting to get bogged down with clips.I don't think I can really move on with my video until I find a way to clear up some space.

I was just wondering how everyone else is handling making such a long video with so many clips.Is it best to render the video in blocks and then put it all together again at the end?

Macaila

Generally when it tells you that you don't have enough memory to complete a task like that, it's referring to RAM memory as opposed to hard drive space (not always but RAM is usually the first place to look for things like this, IMO). Do you know how much RAM you have?

If you're running XP (like I still am ), you can check your RAM by clicking Start - right-click My Computer - click Properties. That brings up a list of information and down towards the bottom it'll say something like "2 GB of RAM" (which is what I have ). 2 GB (gigabytes) of RAM lets me use Vegas and have my browser open at the same time, for instance. My old computer had 1 GB of RAM and I had to close everything else but Vegas while it was rendering to keep it running smoothly. Anything under 1 GB will definitely be giving you issues when it comes to Vegas.

Now, after you know how much RAM you have, you'll want to check the hard drive space. To do that (again in XP ), click Start - click My Computer - right-click whichever drive is your main hard drive, usually it's C: - click Properties

A chart should come up, showing how much used space, free space and total capacity you have. If you're within a few gigabytes of filling the hard drive, Vegas can start having definite problems. It requires several GB of free on the hard drive to be able to render (and video editing in general just needs a lot of room so to work smoothly ).

If you're close to being full, then you'll need to find some things to remove, at least temporarily while you're working on this vid (if it's going to be close to 10 minutes long, it's going to require a LOT of GB free to be able to render). Have a look at your folders for things like video clips, music and pictures (if you hover the mouse over the folder, it will tell you how large that folder is), that'll help you tell what's taking up the most room. If you can save anything you're not using to a flash drive, DVD, anything like that, then you can delete it for now then put them back on later, if needed.

If you've cleared enough room and you have enough RAM but Vegas is still struggling, then I'd say that yes, you're going to have to render your vid in sections and then combine them back together for the final vid. If you render each section in as good of quality as you can, it should (hopefully ) result in the final product still looking good. I just rendered a collab piece (that will be rendered into a final vid with other collab pieces) into .WMV with the quality set to Best and the percentage up to 100% and that seemed to do a nice job of it.

If you're not running XP, you should be able to either google how to find how much RAM or hard drive space you have with whatever operating system you're using or let me know what you're using and I'll help you find instructions for how to do both of those if you're not having any luck with it.

Hope some of that will be helpful to you! It's so frustrating when things won't just work, I know! But making a long vid like this one can be rather taxing on your computer, unfortunately. If nothing else, try closing all other programs while you're working in Vegas. That will make sure that nothing else is using the RAM resources at the same time that Vegas is.

Good luck!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer I'm using is a Windows 7.(I like Windows XP better.)

I found the RAM information on my computer.The way I read it,it says it has 3 GB of RAM and 2.87 GB useable.

I also checked the hard drive and it has plenty of space.It says it has 286 GB to begin with and it still has 245 GB left.

I'm going to get rid of some pictures and any extra video clips I can find and see if that helps.I think I have a couple of large music files that might be part of the problem.

Thank you for the help.

Macaila
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Vegas is still being difficult.I've deleted all the clips except those in the video.I think the video I was making for the contest is just too much for the program to handle.(The clips for the first 3 seasons are taking up over 1 GB of space.)So I'm going to save what I have to a CD and work on it as a series of videos to submit at a later date.

I've come up with a new idea for a video.I don't think this one will eat up as much space on my computer. I still hope to enter the contest if I can get Sony Vegas to work with me.

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so sorry that it's given you such trouble, Macaila! Hopefully Vegas will let you do your new idea! *crosses fingers* It really sucks when computer issues keep you from being able to do your vid ideas, doesn't it?
grable24
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im1oftheOceanic6 wrote:
Sony Vegas is still being difficult.I've deleted all the clips except those in the video.I think the video I was making for the contest is just too much for the program to handle.(The clips for the first 3 seasons are taking up over 1 GB of space.)So I'm going to save what I have to a CD and work on it as a series of videos to submit at a later date.

I've come up with a new idea for a video.I don't think this one will eat up as much space on my computer. I still hope to enter the contest if I can get Sony Vegas to work with me.

Macaila

That sucks that Vegas is giving you so much trouble

When I made mine, I made six different vegas files for each season and rendered them individually. Then I put them all together and rendered it in full. That worked pretty well for me
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I submitted my entry to the site, but then I realized the clips from Lighthouse are black for some reason. I'm gonna rerender and reupload it now, so just a head's up that the YT link I provided isn't the final one
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's a bummer, Millie! Be sure to let us know when you have the new YT version up so we can change the embedded link on the main site.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to request an extension.I am pretty close to done but I won't be able to finish it tonight in order to submit it tomorrow.
I'm rendering the video in blocks so that I can delete clips as I go along.I'm also only getting clips as I need them so that I don't overwhelm my computer,again.

Could I have an extension to September 2nd?

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it, Macaila. I'm glad you were able to find a way to get your computer to let you handle this contest! Good luck!

New deadline: September 2nd.
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried to rerender it several times but it just left loads of clips black. I've rendered the Kate section seperately and put the three thirds together so that Vegas is getting the media from it's own harddrive rather than the external, which I think is the problem. The Sawyer section was then unsized so I've had to render it again - says it'll finish at 2am, so I'll upload it again and have the new link tomorrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: