Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shipping, love triangles and wish fullfillment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You and Kemper cannot have arguments I fail to believe it *shakes head*

LVI's been bugging out for me a bit too :/

lol believe what you want Paul....haha

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackwolf1480 wrote:
Jemmz wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if Sun still has the DS ring? I hope that's not the case because it would be lost now. As someone who isn't too fond of the ship I was pretty unsatisfied with Claire not getting Charlie's letter or the ring. I hope they resolve it.

Ugh, tell me about it! I didn't understand why, if Sun still had it, she didn't give it to Claire while they were in that cage!! I really want Claire to get the ring, at the moment it seems like she's forgotten Charlie completely now I was rewatching Greatest Hits and that scene where Liam gave Charlie the ring, it was so important to them. I'd hate it if it was lost again :S

I second these points, although I never got the sense that Charlie and Claire were ever "in love", just had great affection towards each other. Their relationship didn't seem deep enough and neither one ever voiced "I love you." I don't believe you have to say it to confirm it but I still never got the feeling they did, plus every other couple did say it to the other. But judging by the scenes of them together, I still don't think they loved each other. I want Claire to get the note as some sort of "closure" and the ring to pass to Aaron, who Charlie said "I love you" before his sacrifice. I always felt Charlie was closer to Aaron than Claire because most of the things he did were more for the baby than his mother, but that's just me. I still support PB&J all the way. Maybe for the finale all the ghosts will become visible to everyone and Charlie and Claire will have their moment

I think, if anything, Charlie and Claire will meet up in the sideways world but I don't expect much. I have a horrible feeling the writings might just see Charlie's vision in Happily Ever After was enough closure for shippers and it really wasn't! :S
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my view on shipping: I want the characters I like to end up happy. And a lot of times, that means ending up with the person who made them happy. So therefore, I want Charlie and Claire to get back together. I want Sayid and Shannon together. I want Jin and Sun together. I want Sawyer and Juliet together. (Most of my ships are dead.)

So for me, it's a question of wanting the characters to be happy. (Hey, I'm a dreamer who wishes for happy endings all around.)

As for the triangle, I don't want Skate or Jate to be endgame. Sawyer and Kate would never be happy together. Up until quite recently, I wouldn't have cared if Jate ended up together but now that I'm starting to like Jack I think he just needs to find someone to be happy with and I'm sorry, but Jate don't seem happy together.

art by me&tammy
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you, Eryn! As long as the characters were happy in the end, I don't think I'd mind who they ended up with

It's a shame that's not been the case for most of them
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, Paul!

I have often wondered what causes people to get attached to and root for specific pairings, and I guess it's different for each of us. But, I think on some level we want to see our hopes for that pairing fulfilled because we are invested in them as a couple for whatever reason.

With Jate and Skate, I think it goes a bit further. I have never seen such intensity and polarization as I have between fans of those two pairings. I think that because the triangle was established so early and because she really had equal footing on both sides for so long, it gave both sides confidence that she would end up with their champion. I also think part of it is that Jack and Sawyer are so different--some see Jack as the arrogant cry baby while Sawyer is the sexy brooding bad boy, and others see Jack as the handsome heart-of-gold hero, and think of Sawyer as the unrefined slack-jawed hillbilly criminal. So, the people who hate them REALLY loathe them. That raises the intensity of their passion for their OTP. Jaters and Skaters each passionately believe that their OTP is fate and they love to say "I told you so" to the other side.

So, with those shippers at least, it really boils down to wanting to be on the "winning" side more than anything, I think.

For me, I enjoyed Skate but I was always a Jate girl (not to the staggering extreme as most Jate fans, though) but I can acknowledge the fact that the Jate ship seems to have sailed, and I'm ok with that. I think Kate could end up with Sawyer, or she could end up with neither.

A Lost writer after first season said she'd end up with one in the short-term and one in the long-term. Long-term doesn't have to mean "forever", so it could well be said that Sawyer was her short-term and Jack her long-term. Or, it could be that Jack was her short-term and Sawyer will be her long-term. Or, lke I said, neither. And I'm ok with that.

That was fun!!!

(((HUGS)))

Julia
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to this would be very different because I write fanfic and so for me there's two "worlds" that I'm interested in.

In the fanfic world, I ship practically all non-canon, strange, weird and wonderful pairings -- no matter how contradictory they may be or how inappropriate. [See icon.] It is a rare occasion that I will write/read canon pairings in fanfic. Outside of the show, the canon just doesn't interest me at all.

Regarding the show and that world, I consider myself mostly a multi-shipper with few exceptions.

If I don't like a character [Charlie, Juliet, Ben] OR the way they've behaved around their love interest, then there's no way I can ship it. It just kind of makes me sick to watch certain characters in romantic relationships -- not because the pairing is ill-suited but because I don't really CARE about these characters or their love lives. And if they're paired with a character that I like, well then that goes double -- because to see them together just makes you kind of angry.

The exception to that is that if the writers handle the relationship well and make you believe in its genesis -- why are these two people together? Does it make sense? Are they well matched? Etc. If they do all of these things well, then I generally come around on the character I don't like and accept the couple.

So for Kate/Jack or Kate/Sawyer -- [and I think people are still discounting Juliet -- even though I don't like her] -- I don't really care. Because I like all three of those characters [Jack, Kate, and Sawyer] and I feel that there have been a lot of great genuine moments between them all -- nothing feeling too forced [which is what Juliet/Sawyer felt like for me] -- it would be fine with me if either couple ended up together in the finale. If I didn't know with certainty that the show would never go there, I'd be happy with Jack/Sawyer too.

So my watching Lost, or watching any show, is rarely tied up in which "OTP" I ship, because I tend to multi-ship given the right circumstances. I used to be all for Kate/Jack -- keeping in mind my crazy fanfic preferences for anything but canon -- so perhaps there would be an "aww" moment with them that there wouldn't be with others. But if they don't end up together -- it is not going to effect my enjoyment of the show one way or the other.

I think, more than a couple getting together, I just want the show to treat the relationships that I do like with the proper gravity. To acknowledge what these characters meant to each other, how their relationships have evolved, etc. When a show ignores these very basic things, it kind of pisses me off. Give them closure -- and I'm happy.
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:

So, with those shippers at least, it really boils down to wanting to be on the "winning" side more than anything, I think.

I actually agree that so many people are concerned with "winning" it when it never was a contest!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
eloramoon wrote:

I actually agree that so many people are concerned with "winning" it when it never was a contest!

I just want Kate to finally pick someone and really "be" with the person she picks for good! I just really want that for the end!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree, Nikki. I think the back and forth has definitely fanned the flames.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: