Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regarding Spoilers....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Regarding Spoilers.... Reply with quote

I apologize in advance for my ranting here - I know I've already ranted on Facebook about this, but since most of you are on Facebook anyways, I want to say something here....

We're in the home stretch of the show right now, and with only a couple episodes left before the series ends, things are definitely going to pick up - characters are gonna die, stuff is going to happen. It's exciting and sad that we're nearing the end of this spectacularly amazing show that's not only, well, spectacularly amazing, but it's brought us all together here on this website, and friendships have been created because of it.

That said - and this goes for everyone - please, PLEASE keep in mind that there are these little things called TIME ZONES. You may be thinking "Hey! It's 9pm! Lost is on, everyone in the world is watching it right now!!"

Well - that's not really true. I know that I, for one, have not seen the episode yet, mainly because when it's 9pm for you, it's 6pm for me. It's 7pm for Nikki, and it's 12pm tomorrow afternoon for Kat (she's in the future!!) Oh yeah, I went and did that math. I'm awesome like that

So - if something crazy happens, like say, some MAIN CHARACTERS DIE - while I know that's really exciting, please don't go posting or talking about it on your Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/something else for all to see.
Because not everyone has seen the episode yet and some of us are trying really hard to avoid spoilers, and in all honesty, it's really unfair. Part of the fun of the show is not knowing what's coming next, and when you put spoilers in a public place visible to people who possibly haven't seen the show yet, it just kind of takes the fun & joy out of it a bit....

Like I said, this isn't directed at anyone in particular, and while I'm partly to blame (because I really need to start enforcing media blackout at 6pm), I think if we all take a little more precautions with our reactions, and remember our friends on the West Coast and/or in other countries (who might not get the episode until the following day), we can all enjoy the show the same way - SPOILER FREE!!

*steps off soapbox*

(FYI - Nik and Kat are only mentioned because I know what time zones they are in, so I was merely using them as an example. The angst and annoyance is all me )
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, as a New Yorker who posted on your Facebook, all I did was mock Jorge Garcia's potential Myspace site. But, yes, I'll second this and note it also plays in with spoilery hints in other threads. If you're going to use a spoiler about a character (let's use Ana-Lucia because she's not there anymore, so the spoilers are obviously fake):

Hey, did you see this spoiler about Ana-Lucia?
Spoiler:

Ana-Lucia snarls and threatens to shoot something

is better than

Hey, regarding the next episode
Spoiler:

Ana-Lucia snarls and threatens to shoot something

because sometimes people misuse the spoiler tag (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad reasons.) The more specificity people can give the tags around their spoilers, the better it will be for people like me who don't go in the Spoilers section and don't want to click on spoilers, but often wind up having to when people use them for non-spoilery purposes.

And, yes, I know that the Ana-Lucia spoiler would never have been a real spoiler. That was kind of the point.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH. I agree I hate when people do that on youtube. It happens all the time.

I don't spoil for people because I know some can't see the episode when I do. So I try to be nice about that.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to me through YT all the time, not from you guys but from randoms. It's how i found out renee died on 24, someone commented one of my vids with nothing more than. "I can't believe they killed her' :S:S:S

I dont spoil anywhere purely for that reason Abby home stretch; so few eps, so few chances to be surprised

NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I mean, I can understand being really excited about the episode and wanting to say something about it, but you'd think people would be a little more cautious.

I always make it a point after an episode, if I'm gonna say something on FB to make it something silly and not very spoilerish. And if the episode is so amazing I can hardly contain myself, I just keep it to "ZOMG! LOST!!!!" or something like that. Like for example, my status tonight?:

Spoiler:

Did anyone else think that Claire was gonna give Jack cupcakes? Or doughnuts? She was totally holding a bakery box.

Like I said, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular - I opened FB and happened across the spoiler for tonight's episode. I only called out the east coast because the spoiler came from someone over there (I saw who it was, but I'm not going to name them because I don't want to be guilt tripping or hurting anyone's feelings/embarrassing someone)

I just figured, since this was such a big spoiler, that it might just be good to remind people to keep this in mind when they react to the episodes. After all, we have the episode discussion here in LVI and on LVI we have the awesome spoiler tag! so it's a lot easier to avoid spoilers over here. Not so much on FB and YouTube

And hehe...yeah, I wasn't calling you out Kate. You were far from being spoilery (I couldn't see that link though! It gave me the 404 page of doom, then redirected to the MySpace home page...)
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a fake/blank link. Like, his link should totally be that instead (because it's hilariously awful). I should have totally registered it and rickrolled you from it, though. (Possibly using the Sawyer Song as the rickroll.)

Ah well, maybe another time!
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it now....*facepalm*

Sorry, I'm really slow sometimes. Like special slow....
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you Abby! It's 7:50 AM on a Wednesday morning for me and I won't get to see the episode until this evening at the earliest. Sometimes I might not even see it until the weekend, that's just how it is. And I've been spoiled for almost every episode :S Lately, LVI members have been wonderful with spoilers and I haven't been spoiled here in quite some time, which I'm really thankful for! It's mainly sites like FB or Livejournal where I get the most spoiled and that's unfortunately out of my control. :S

It is a serious problem though, I think. Especially as this is the last season of Lost!! Sometimes it's difficult to avoid and it's not always the person's fault but it is something that needs to be recognised.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, Jemma! Let me rectify that. Click... if you dare.

STAR WARS SPOILERS
Spoiler:

The prequels suck.

PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILERS
Spoiler:

If it comes down to a choice between 'crazy' and 'sane but boring,' the crazy people never get eliminated.

AMERICAN IDOL SPOILERS
Spoiler:

Nobody can sing.

THEFILMCHICK SPOILERS
Spoiler:

I have had way too much caffeine late at night.

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree. I'm not gonna be able to watch til the weekend, either, because I'm so busy this week, but I've already been spoiled through YouTube.... *is angry* So I'm just gonna plug my ears and go "lalalala" and pretend I didn't see it.

icon by becca
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Here, Jemma! Let me rectify that. Click... if you dare.

STAR WARS SPOILERS
Spoiler:

The prequels suck.

PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILERS
Spoiler:

If it comes down to a choice between 'crazy' and 'sane but boring,' the crazy people never get eliminated.

AMERICAN IDOL SPOILERS
Spoiler:

Nobody can sing.

THEFILMCHICK SPOILERS
Spoiler:

I have had way too much caffeine late at night.

*Gasp!* Shockers! lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: