Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What induces people to watch some vids and not others?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: What induces people to watch some vids and not others? Reply with quote

FYI... this is a genuine curiosity and not a ploy to get people to watch my vids... truly!

I'm pretty sure I'm just one of many people who feels frustrated after posting a video, and days go by and only a few people have watched it. It's especially frustrating in a contest, when you can see that people are watching other entries but not yours. I know that even vidders who have a huge following will occasionally post a vid that, for some reason, just isn't getting hits.

So...

1) What induces you to watch a particular vid? Are you drawn more to certain types of vids (AU/Ship/etc.)? Do you tend to stick mostly to vids by friends and favorite vidders?

2) What deters you from watching a vid? Do you shy away from new vidders? Do you skip over vids because of the music or genre?

3) Are you more likely to click on a vid if it has an interesting title, title graphic, or description?

4) Do you pimp your vid to your friends? If so, how?

5) What sorts of things do you do as a vidder to try and attract people to your vid?

I am definitely curious to know everyone's answers! I've wondered for a long time if I could be doing something differently, and I'm sure a lot of others are wondering, too.

(((HUGS ALL AROUND)))

Julia
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) What induces you to watch a particular vid? Are you drawn more to certain types of vids (AU/Ship/etc.)? Do you tend to stick mostly to vids by friends and favorite vidders?
I think I'm most drawn to vids by song choice. if it's a song that I know/like, I'm more likely to click on it. I'm also really drawn to AU/crossover pairings cuz I love seeing new pairings and manips, they're a lot more fun for me to watch than canon (though I've seen some pretty beautiful and touching canon vids) because it just feels all like it's all "new". It's weird, because I love editing canon vids like character studies or pieces about a certain scene (ala our June contest), but as far as watching, I find AU more interesting.

2) What deters you from watching a vid? Do you shy away from new vidders? Do you skip over vids because of the music or genre?
To be shamefully honest, unless the song or storyline really sticks out to me, I do shy away from new vidders or wmm vids at times. If it's someone I know, I'll check it out and comment, but sometimes newer vidders vids don't keep my interest. It's shallow, since I was once a new vidder, but since I don't have time to watch TONS of vids anyway, I usually watch the ones that look well made/pique my interest most.

3) Are you more likely to click on a vid if it has an interesting title, title graphic, or description?
I click on most of the new vids I see up and check the descriptions to see what it's about. I'm more likely to watch if I see an interesting description.

Sometimes I'll send it out through youtube, but not everytime. It depends on what it is.

5) What sorts of things do you do as a vidder to try and attract people to your vid?
Just things like sending my video out on youtube. I've also found that vidding lots of fandoms helps to gain a wider viewership (that's pretty obvious, I guess. lol). Other than that, I guess I don't do all that much. lol I mostly vid because I enjoy it and if I'm hit with inspiration, I just HAVE to make it. hehe But comments and views are definitely a plus.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What induces people to watch some vids and not others? Reply with quote

I have to actually answer this as if I'm talking about vids that aren't on LVI because when I'm wearing my CM hat, I watch vids as completely impartially as I can. I watch every type of vid for LVI, no matter the song, pairing, etc. (Which is actually a good thing that maybe more people should try. Limiting yourself to just the pairings you like means you'll miss a LOT of awesome vids to pairings or for characters that you aren't so crazy about. )

But to try and answer your questions if I was just going through and watching vids for the heck of it...

I actually love giving new vidders or vidders I'm not familiar with a chance, I find it kind of exciting to see if they're going to really wow me, lol! Sometimes, no, they don't, but sometimes you get this amazing vid by a new vidder and it's a great feeling to discover a shining new talent that not many people know about yet!

I'll watch any pairing for any fandom if I have enough time. If I'm pressed for time, though, then yeah, I'll default back to something that looks interesting to me: a new twist on a favorite ship or character, a new AU I've never seen, that sort of thing. But I would never not watch a vid just because I don't know the vidder or because it's not my usual pairing or because it's canon.

I admit I've made the face before when I've seen a song title or genre but no, I would never not watch a vid just because I don't like the song or genre if there was something else to it that I was interested in seeing. You never know when somebody's going to do an amazing vid to an overvidded song or to a song I just happen to not like. A lot of times, a cool vid has actually made me LIKE a song that I didn't like previously, so I find it's never good to count out a vid sight-unseen because it's not to a song I already love.

Honestly, the main thing that "deters" me from watching a vid is simply not having enough time. I'd watch every single vid I came across if I possibly could because I find this such an amazing art form. There's something to learn in every vid, if for nothing else than just to see what speaks to you and what doesn't.

An interesting title or description might catch my eye but again, you can't count somebody out as a great vidder just because they wrote a plainer description or went with a generic title, etc.

I post my vids to YT (or an equivalent if it gets bounced back ) and to LVI (if it's Lost related ) and Livejournal. I tend to just post them up and set them free where people who might be interested in them can see them but I don't specifically do something beyond that. I figure if people are interested, they'll watch and hopefully take time to comment. If they're not, then anything more that I try to do to get them to watch probably wouldn't work anyway.

I just try to make the very best, the cleanest and the most interesting vid that I can and if that's not good enough, then there's really not a lot more I figure I can do. Vids that explode into amazing popularity have just hit on something that people wanted to see but there's no way to guess ahead of time what that elusive thing will be.

I've seen vids that should've been tremendously popular fly under the radar, maybe just because the timing for that sort of vid was wrong but if it would've come out 6 months before or 6 months after that, it would've been selling like hotcakes. *shrugs* It's like the old saying about trying to catch lightning in a bottle, I guess, you really have no idea where it's going to strike, so all you can really do is just try to make a vid that you enjoy and had fun putting together, then put it out there and hope that other people will enjoy it, too.

But if it doesn't go over big, you just have to remember there could be a lot of factors behind it, like the timing I mentioned or just the right people didn't get the chance to see it because life is keeping them busy.

I know it's frustrating when you put a vid out there and it just quietly seems to fall between the cracks. I've had that happen with some of mine before and it's really hard not to just sort of wail, "Hey, what so wrong with it???" But I've found that just because my vid doesn't get a lot (or any) comments, that doesn't mean I did something wrong, per se. I'm sure you've watched plenty of vids before that, if pressed to tell the vidder what you thought was "wrong" about it, you really wouldn't know; it just didn't grab you for some reason.

I think a lot of people do watch only vids for pairings/characters they like but one of my least popular vids for another fandom was one I did for the main ship while a vid for a more minor pairing did a lot better, so I don't ever shy away from not doing a "big" pairing because sometimes people are a bit bored of all of the "big" ships that are more overvidded.

Again, in my opinion, the best thing you can do is start with an idea you feel passionate about and do your best to put that enthusiasm into your vid and keep it as clean as you possibly can. Beyond that, it's at the whim of a public that has no idea what it wants to see until it sees it.

And thus ends my long-winded ramble, sorry! Hope that was helpful in some small way!
grable24
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally lean toward more canon videos. But, I definitely enjoy an AU video from time to time. Still though, I'm much more partial to things that actually happened on the show. I particularly like ensemble videos. To be perfectly honest, I probably would be more prone to click on a video from someone whose videos I know and like. That's not to say I don't click on new vidders videos as well.

I definitely don't shy away from new vidders. I think its awesome to see people progress with their vidding..... And what deters me??? Well, honestly, if the clip quality is really bad that makes me click away from a video pretty quick... or if I don't like the song.... or if the vid is too long and drags on.

Yeah, actually I probably am. Not so much the description, but if the little icon is really cool, that can peak my interest.

Not really at all. I kinda just vid for myself. If other people like my vids and want to watch them, that's just a plus! XD

Little to nothing. I mean, I try to make the name and icon presentable (but that's also because I just like messing around with photoshop... hehe).
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Ais, I keep as impartial as I can on LVI and with vidders But if I were on YT or somewhere, I would definitely be more picky about what I watch. For example, I wouldn't go out in search of a Skate vid, but i would for a Jate vid. I think I watch all my friends vids, or at least I try to, regardless of the fandom. I am definitely drawn to the crazy AU couples and storylines, the weirder the better Personally that's my favourite thing about vidding, the stories.

I like to think I'm the opposite, I love new vidders, it's always good to get new blood into the vidding world, and its still astounding how many epic vidders are out there and unkown. I generally stick to my fandoms, I wouldn't watch a random video for a fandom I don't like, unless it was a crossover or AU story, my love for those supersedes fandom love

I love vids with little/no description; because they make me want to watch. Personally, I don't think a video should have to be lined out from A-Z with exactly what each scene means in the video and how that applies to the story; let the video speak for itself and tell the story.

Depends on what it is. If I'm making a video for someone, or someone has given me the idea, I let them know. or if I'm in Spam and talking about it I'll post the working link. But I don't send videos around on YT unless they're collabs that I need filled. I know some people like to do that, but I just can't be bothered

Nothing, vidding to me is extremely personal and borders on selfish I make my videos only for me and do whatever I feel is right, if I started copying what other people said then I would feel my videos lose what makes them mine. My most favourite videos I have made and am proud of are my OC vids, which generally are the ones who generate the lowest comments/reviews and weird replies like "WTF is this?"

I agree with Allie definitely that broadening fandoms gains more viewers. i have made one Twilight vid and it's one of my most viewed/rated/commented videos, and I would definitely put Twilight at the lower end of my loved fandoms, but it has a much bigger fanbase than other shows I vid.

But yeah, in short, all I try to do is create an interesting story. If people like it, awesome. if not, I don't really care because I enjoyed it

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOT!

I ♥LOVE♥ posting discussions like this here, because I know I can always count on you all to come back with amazing, informational, and educational responses!

I try to watch as many of my friends' vids as I can, and I usually watch all the contest vids. But I don't tend to watch vids off LVI unless I have friends that vid in other fandoms I watch. Sometimes I'll watch vids from fandoms I don't watch, if I have time. I think watching vids is not only enjoyable (and a great way to fan the flames of obsession... lol!) but it is also a great introduction to new music (I have a whole folder on my MP3 player just for songs I like because of vids) and I have even gotten interested in certain shows because of vids. Not to mention it's a great learning tool, because the more vids you watch, the more enriched your own well of vidding understanding will be. Or something like that--I had an awful time wording what I was trying to say there.

I'm still learning to post and let go, but I get better and better with each vid. I no longer stress about it like I used to, but I still feel kinda meh when a vid doesn't get many comments. I greatly admire those who can just vid for themselves and let go, and I hope to get there myself!

Thanks again for your replies everyone. If anyone else wants to jump in and answer, I would still love to see what others think, too!

(((HUGS)))

Julia
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I misunderstood the question a bit and came off sounding bad. I love giving new vidders a chance, which is why I don't hold auditions for any of my collab groups, I let anyone join because I feel that collabs are an EXCELLENT environment to learn in. NEW VIDDER vids don't deter me. If I see novice by their name I still watch and sometimes they wow me and I love them.

New vidder does not mean "bad editor". What I meant by my answer is I don't watch all the new, green vidders' vids, on youtube there are many vids that are just like 3-4 long clips etc. If I watch a bit of a vid and see that it's like that, I will sometimes turn it off and I think that most people do at some point. I know I was there, but I honestly don't have the time to watch all of them, but no, I don't look at the "novice" or that you only have a few vids and decide not to watch because there are some pretty amazing new vidders out there and I do like to give everyone a chance.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think your answer sounded bad at all, Allie! (((HUGS)))

I totally get where you're coming from, and I think that's probably true for most of us--there are just sooooo many new videos every day, between here, general YouTube, and other groups, there is just no way even the most avid vid-watcher could watch them all. I think newer vidders also tend to be the most prolific, because they're enthusiastic and excited to try new things, and they have a ton of ideas they want to try out. So, there's just no way to keep up with every new vid from every new vidder.

I think we all have to employ some sort of method when it comes to deciding which new vidders' vids we watch and which we don't.

So, no worries! I knew what you meant!

(((HUGE HUGS)))

Julia ♥
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On LVI I try my best to at least watch as many videos as I can. I try to comment on the ones I watch, but sometimes it completely slips my mind. On Youtube, I usually only watch videos to vidders that I have subscriped to, or ones that are friends of mine, just because I don't have enough time.

I can say, as far as youtube goes, I don't watch videos (friends or not) of shows that i don't like or don't know, but I think that a lot of people are like that. If I don't know the storyline of the show then I won't understand the video.

The only thing that really deters me from watching a video is long clip use. I know that I used to be like that. Use the same clip for what seemed like enterity, and it really bogs down a video and makes the story (or) emotion your trying to find and get seem less important.

It's kind of like when a show drags out a storyline for way too long, and by the time you get to the point of the storyline your more like "finally" than you are "wow this was totally worth the ride"

I do like videos with interesting titles. They seem to just pull me in. I'm not so much for descriptions, because unless the video doesn't exactly tell me the story, then i usually don't read them. Unless it's a song I don't know and I like, then I'll read to see what the song is.

No really. Unless it's a collab vid that needs to be filled. Other wise, I just post and see what happens.

I don't nesscairly do anything different to attract people. I do different kinds of editing sometimes, and try new stuff to better myself as a vidder, and so that I feel like I'm not doing the same tired old editing.

Other than that, I really just post my vids and wait. i do on occassion (Like if I work really really hard on a video) and after a week or two still don't have many comments, it does get me down for a bit, but then I say, I'll just make it that much better next time and it always makes me feel better
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On LVI, if I see a new vid that looks interesting, I'll most likely check it out. I defintely watch more vids that are about the characters and ships that I like. For example, I wouldn't watch a Jate vid unless it was a friend of mine's. I tend to watch all the vids that pop up in my Subscriptions on Youtube, unless it's a fandom I don't care for.

I actually prefer to watch canon videos... I'm not sure why, but something about AUs puts me off a bit. But again, on occasion I'll watch an AU vid if it's by a friend, and usually I like them, so I should really watch more. I'm not put off by new vidders, it's only if the clips drag on forever that it puts me off. It doesn't really matter to me what kind of music you use.

Yes. I don't watch all the vids that are posted here on LVI, so it's only the ones with colorful, interesting graphics that I click on. It's just whatever catches my eye, really. So the thumbnail and the title are really what grab me.

Not a lot, really. I just post my vids here, if they're a Lost vid, or in my "Other Fandom Videos" thread, if they're not. And then I'll post the link on Twitter.

I dunno. I just vid whatever, and if people want to watch it, then they're welcome to. Like Kat was talking about earlier, I'm trying to expand my fandoms a bit, which does get me more viewers, but I don't really specifically try to attract people to my vids.

icon by becca
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that broadening my fandoms does seem to help, too. It definitely seems to give you just more overall exposure to different viewers who are watching only specific fandoms.

littleton_pace wrote:
i have made one Twilight vid and it's one of my most viewed/rated/commented videos, and I would definitely put Twilight at the lower end of my loved fandoms, but it has a much bigger fanbase than other shows I vid.

It was really weird, I've done one Twilight vid and it was by far the lowest viewest/commented of all of my other recent vids by far! I wasn't expecting that because I thought it would at least get views by virtue of Twilight's big fanbase, if not comments. But I guess the vid itself just wasn't that attractive or something? I dunno! *shrugs* Live and learn!

I also do agree, if I'm watching vids for fun, nothing sucks the pleasure out of it faster than long, uncut clips. That is something that I'll click away from after I give it a chance to get going.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely drawn more to AUs. I watch every AU that comes onto the site. I don't always comment but I watch them all. I have a hard time watching canon vids but I will always watch one that a friend has made or if the song is one that I love. I do have ships that I enjoy watching more than others. But it doesn't usually stop me from watching a vid just b/c of the ship. Oh and another thing. When I do watch canon vids I don't always comment b/c I have a hard time finding something interesting to say, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the vid. I just didn't want to leave a useless comment b/c those bug me when I get them on my vids.

I do tend to shy away from new vidders just b/c I don't have time to watch every vid so I tend to save my time for the ones I know will be good. But like I said above. I watch all AU vids that come on the site whether they are new vidders or not.

The description is usually what makes me click on a vid when I don't know who the vidder is.

LOL not really. Occasionally I will ask a friend if they have seen my vid if its a vid I think they'd particularly like and I think they might not have noticed it being posted. But usually I don't do anything.

Nothing really.

I understand your frustration though when you think your vid is going to get a lot of comments and then it doesn't and then vids you think aren't going to be very popular get tons of comments and make you think, "huh" I think it happens to us all and its just one of those things you have to deal with as a vidder.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going through another one of those crowded RL periods that always seem to hit me every two or three months, but...

1) What induces you to watch a particular vid? Are you drawn more to certain types of vids (AU/Ship/etc.)? Do you tend to stick mostly to vids by friends and favorite vidders? I don't actually use that 'favorite' system, because I am too lazy to do so. I will review friends' if they ask or if the video interests me besides the fact of their friendship. At the risk of using a specific few people, I don't feel compelled to review, say, a Jate video by a friend, because I have zero interest in that ship. On the other hand, a Jate video by someone I haven't heard of, with a more complicated and less cliched description will more sooner grab my attention than will a Skate vid (I like Sawyer anyway) with a 'twoo luv' spiel. But I am jaded.

I would also note that I tend to be anti-Expert in what I review, freely admitted. People who are bound to get 50 comments in their thread don't "need" mine. I am sure someone can argue this with me and take exception to my stance as unfair, but I would much rather help out that lone, forgotten video than watch something that's assured of success. As my time is frequently limited, I feel it's better spent that way.

2) What deters you from watching a vid? Do you shy away from new vidders? Do you skip over vids because of the music or genre? I like new vidders and, when I am able to review, make an effort to review those new vidders who have posted coherent descriptions. I shy away from certain music that seems overused or that I have heard too much on the radio/commercials/etc. recently ('Hey, Soul Sister' must die. Sorry, Eryn!) I definitely skip over most of the shipper genre, but this should surprise no one. I can be deterred from a vid by illiteracy, because I am an elitist.

3) Are you more likely to click on a vid if it has an interesting title, title graphic, or description? Title, yes. Graphic, no, because the graphics are too tiny on the main page to make a difference. Description, yes. Note that the title has to be genuinely interesting to sway me; weirdness or stupidity won't.

4) Do you pimp your vid to your friends? If so, how? I am an inveterate PMer and poster in the spam thread. But my videos are sort of a hot-or-cold thing, as far as the free time, so I am wary of any random video of mine being overlooked.

5) What sorts of things do you do as a vidder to try and attract people to your vid? I learned Vegas. After a fashion. I still have a distinct style/sarcasm to my stuff that I think comes through, however.

Last edited by thefilmchick on Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
DJC Productions
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally watch vids that focus on the actual show and it's brilliance. Like ensemble vids and character studies. I'm not really a fan of AU vids unless it's something that catches my interest. On you tube I tend to only watch vids from people I'm subscribed to or vids that I see other people have favorited. There's just to many vids on you tube to try and search through and find good ones. On LVI, I tend to watch mostly ensemble vids or character studies. But I'll also watch pretty much any kind of vid if it's from one of my favorite vidders.

Like I said, I tend to stay away from AU vids. I also usually don't watch vids that were made with WMM because that editing program is so limited. Music plays a big role in deciding whether to watch a vid or not. I won't watch a vid if I can't stand the song or if the song just doesn't make sense for what kind of vid it is. I like watching vids from new vidders because it's usually something new and different which is always good.

This has no relevance to me at all. I never read descriptions before I watch a vid. If you really need to describe your video in full then you probably didn't do that great of a job at making sure your vid gets the point across for you. I'm always impressed by people who are talented in photoshop and can make a cool title graphic but it has no effect on whether I'll watch their vid or not.

I'll occasionally send my vids to my friends on you tube but for the most part I just upload and see what happens. Most of the views and comments on my vids come from my subscribers though.

Like Kat said, I make vids that I would want to watch. If other people want to watch them, it's an added bonus. It is good to know that some people like what I do but even if they didn't I wouldn't change the way I make my vids. I don't think there is much you can do to try and attract people to your vids. If people like my vids then they'll watch but if they don't then they won't watch, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. As long as I'm happy with my vid, that's all that matters. I've been lucky enough to have some of my vids posted on popular blogs and websites that allowed my vids to get thousands of views a day which was great exposure. But before that, I had the same problem and couldn't get more than 100 views on one of my vids. I think you just have to be patient and keep making vids, eventually the views will come.

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making an edit to what I said about AU vids... I think what puts me off of AU vids, is a lot of them seem to have similar stories to me. I dunno. I just feel like there's only so much you can do with what footage we have as vidders, so when I see an AU vid with a really creative story, that's what impresses me and that's what I'll comment on.

icon by becca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: