Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetevangeline
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
sweetevangeline wrote:
I know it says that we should show what happens next, but can be show a little of what happened before what we've seen so far of the flash!sideways'? Eg, Jack meeting the mother of David, them having David and then we get to the present point in the show and then move past it?

That should be absolutely fine seeing as we're just asking for a vid set in the flash-sideways world and the rules don't specify that you just have to show us what we've seen already in the show. As mentioned above in the rules, it can be as canon or AU as you like as long as it's set off island

Awesome, thank you
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do we have to keep the sideway story cannon to what we've already seen...like Kate must still be a fugitive etc..?
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becca, it's up to you, as it says in the rules:

Quote:
Make this as AU as you want, or as canon as you want, as long as it is based off-island.

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question, but just want to make sure...

I want to do some quick flashes of things that have already happened in this person's relationship in the first timeline/on the island, before introducing what's going to happen to them in the x-timeline/off the island.

Is that ok?
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Dumb question, but just want to make sure...

I want to do some quick flashes of things that have already happened in this person's relationship in the first timeline/on the island, before introducing what's going to happen to them in the x-timeline/off the island.

Is that ok?

For the answer to that, I'll just refer you back to the main post, in particular:

Quote:
We're looking for vids that show the off-island life of our Losties in the flash-sideways world. Do Jack & Kate ever meet again? Does Sawyer find his daughter Clementine? Does Ana Lucia end up having a baby...by Ethan? Are some of the characters fated to end up on the island at some point in the future? Make this as AU as you want, or as canon as you want, as long as it is based off-island. Since most of our favorite ships didn't even begin until they crashed on the island, you are allowed to use on-island footage in your video, but your video must be BASED off-island in the sideways world. Such as, if you want to show Sawyer & Kate as a couple, feel free to use their love scenes from earlier seasons. But please keep the focus of the story on the sideways world and try to sell that as much as possible.

Quote:
• - Make a video using the flash-sideways timeline, in which Oceanic Flight 815 never crashed.
• - On-island footage is allowed, as long as it is incorporated into the flash-sideways world.

So it's up to you to decide if your idea fits what we're asking for. I bolded the parts, though, that I thought most specifically covered your question.

Looking forward to seeing your vid!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ais!

I hope it doesn't seem like I don't read the contest rules, because I do. I read them and scrutinize them and read them again, but sometimes it's so subjective I feel like it's better to clarify. In this case I feel like it's saying that what I want to do is in no way acceptable. However, I'm still not sure. So, I guess I'll have to take a risk, then! You all are always wanting us to take risks! So here I go!

(((HUGS)))
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You overthink things too, eh? Don't worry! You're not the only one that scrutinizes those things like crazy.

- Signed, Law School Fried My Brain as Far as Simple Reading is Concerned.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Thanks Ais!

I hope it doesn't seem like I don't read the contest rules, because I do. I read them and scrutinize them and read them again, but sometimes it's so subjective I feel like it's better to clarify. In this case I feel like it's saying that what I want to do is in no way acceptable. However, I'm still not sure. So, I guess I'll have to take a risk, then! You all are always wanting us to take risks! So here I go!

(((HUGS)))

The way I see it is that it would be acceptable to use flashes of the other life b/c the flashes are happening in the sideways world to the character as something weird and strange the character doesn't quite understand.Which I think would be really fun and interesting. I did in my Kismet video. I think you should do it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
Thanks Ais!

(((HUGS)))

Sorry that I was sorta vague in answering you, hon! We've been trying to make a definite move away from how the contests had sorta gotten into a "ton of rules, micromanaged" sort of thing and to give everybody much more freedom to interpret the contest theme however they see fit. Like it says in the New Contest Info thread, if we don't specifically ask for or not for something, then you're free to do however you see fit.

I did repeat those parts of the rules just to highlight the parts we are looking for, specifically that its set in the flash-sideways world and you can use the on-Island footage but the focus should be on the flash-sideways world.

However, that doesn't mean that we'll be sitting here with an on-Island scorecard, taking ticks off every time you use on-Island footage. Just keep in mind what we're asking for, a focus on the flash-sideways world, and let your imagination run wild with it from there!

Hope that makes more sense this time! ♥!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's totally ok, Ais! I didn't mean to sound like I was with your answer. I think what I had in mind should be fine, so I'm just gonna go for it. (((BIG HUGS)))

Nikki ~ I love your Kismet video! What I'm doing with the flashes is different, more in the nature of a flashing by re-cap, like someone seeing their life flash before their eyes, so-to-speak. It only takes up a few seconds of the vid, so hopefully that should be ok. (((HUGS YOU TOO)))
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of running out of Miles clips. Is 1:30ish too short for my video to be entered?
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
I'm sort of running out of Miles clips. Is 1:30ish too short for my video to be entered?

Hiya To quote Ais from the New info on contests thread,
Aislynn wrote:
• - Running time should be no longer than 5 minutes. We suggest the 3 - 5 minute range.
If we have a minimum time, it will be mentioned here. Otherwise, we only are giving a maximum time, no longer than 5 minutes. The suggested range is only a suggestion. You don't need to make it a minimum of 3 minutes in this case. However long your vid needs to be to be the very best it can be, then that's what you should make it so long as it doesn't exceed the maximum time.

So yeah it's perfectly fine for your video to be 1:30, just so long as it doesn't run longer than five minutes. The three minutes is only a suggestion.

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I was slightly worried it was too short
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: