Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegas not reading AVIs =/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Vegas not reading AVIs =/ Reply with quote

For some reason my Vegas (I have 7.0 btw) has decided to stop reading AVIs it was fine one day, then BAM it only likes the audio. It isn't just that the AVIs are broken, I've tried loads of different ones, e.g. LOST episodes I never touched since I downloaded them, and it's the same with them all
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know - I noticed the same thing in my Vegas too...both in 7.0 and again, when I installed 9.0 Pro....it has the audio, but it's not reading the video. It just says "media offline". I had no problems when I had Vegas Pro 8, but for some reason, it's not working now.....

Could it possibly be some kind of thing with Windows 7? I've noticed since I got it, some things that would work in XP don't work in 7....it's weird
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Windows 7 though
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, that's so annoying when that happens, in part because it's just so darn mysterious and you don't know what changed from one day to the next!

Anyway, that's an unfortunately really common problem that Vegas has with .AVIs (either not being able to read the audio or the video). Here's a few possible culprits I know of, you may have already know all about them but just in case, here they are.

Have you updated or installed any other program since this problem started? Anything like a new version of iTunes, updated Quicktime, even something like a new security program, just anything new or updated lately? The current version of iTunes with the latest version of Quicktime has been shown to stop audio from importing into Vegas on .MPEG.

Have you tried opening an .AVI that you know previously worked with audio/video before? If those will still open properly, then you know it's something to do with the new episodes. If they won't open properly when they once did, then you know it's something that's changed on your computer itself.

I'm assuming you already have DivX or the K-Lite codec pack installed.

Can you import the new .AVI eps into WMM and get both audio and video in it? It's a bit of a clue either way if it will or won't import fully there.

I was just reading about .AVI and what's frustrating about it is that it's a container, two .AVI files can be packed with completely different audio and video codecs from each other, that's what makes it so tough for Vegas to reliably import it. (And why some .AVIs have sound, some have video, some rarely have both, they may look the same but they were encoded with different audio/video codecs inside of that .AVI container.)

Way to make it difficult, huh? Personally I don't see why they weren't standardized at some point then if you can open .AVI, you can open ALL .AVIs! But, of course, nobody asked me.

Anyway, I hope you can get it all fixed! The only other thing I know you can do is to convert the .AVIs into a different format like. .MPEG and sometimes you can lose quality (though many people do it successfully without losing quality and if you have to go that way, then hopefully one of them can tell you what program they use to keep the quality up ).

Good luck!
FaradayLinus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happened to me when i got windows 7 but then when i upgraded to vegas c it worked again..so maybe try an upgrade
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen when I got windows 7, have you got the codecs for AVI files on vegas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: