Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icedmemories

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Beginner Questions Reply with quote

So after seeing so many beautiful fanvids from here and on Youtube, I've decided that I want to start creating fanvids. I seriously know nothing about fanvidding, so here are some questions that I have.

1) What are the differences between Sony Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, other than the price of them? And which program do you guys use?

2) When you are trimming video files, do you use another program to trim the clips you want first and then import those into Vegas, or do you import the whole file into Vegas and use the trimmer tool?

And also if you have any tutorials for beginners or any that have helped you when you were first starting out, if you could post links to any of them that would be awesome. Thank you so much!
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner Questions Reply with quote

Great that you wanna get involved, icedmemories! In answer to your questions:

1) To be honest, I think the only difference is that whichever is more expensive probably has more advanced options and a wider range of textiles etc. Personally, I use Sony Vegas 7.0

2) By clips, do you mean the scene or the bit you're gonna use? E.g. if I wanted Jack sitting up in the jungle in Pilot Part One, the sitting up itself or the whole scene? I'll cover both - to get the whole scene, I'd go to the clips on this forum which vidders (mainly Kat) have kindly uploaded for us and download it from there. But to get just the shot, I'll import the scene into Vegas and not use the trimmer, but put it into the timeline and lengthen/shorten the clip there.

3) I used this tutorial, which is specific for Vegas 7. The mouse and voice go out of sync after a bit, but it's still followable, and very helpful my main tip, though, is to go onto Vegas and just play with it. Make a video on there you're not going to actually upload, just a random one to help you learn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, icedmemories! Vidding is so much fun, I'm always happy to see new people getting interested in it!

Belle covered your questions already but I'll go ahead and throw in my own two cents as well.

1) I've had Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 for many years now. I went with Movie Studio because of the huge difference in price and that was the one that I could afford. It uses the same basic "engine" that Vegas Pro does but it's missing a few of its advanced bells and whistles (like both of them have a tool called a cookie cutter which lets you take one part of a clip and put it into another for overlays, manipulations or just 'cause it looks pretty; however, Vegas Pro also has a masking ability that lets you cut around unusual shapes, like a person, to lift only that shape, whereas with Movie Studio you just have to use a pre-made shape like a circle, square, etc. and you can't get that sort of precision). Mainly, if you can afford to get the Pro version, that's definitely what I'd recommend for those advanced options. If price is a concern, then Movie Studio can still definitely get the job done.

2) I tend to use full episodes whenever I possibly can, so I import them into Vegas then open them in the trimmer and cut out the scenes I need and drag them to the timeline. Many people drag the entire episode to the timeline and cut it there, so it's mainly a matter of whatever feels more natural to you. If you're getting clips from your own DVDs, then you can certainly rip only the scenes you need, then import them in and either trim them on the timeline itself or in the trimmer.

3) Here's the Sony Vegas All-In-One thread, which collects the answers from the original Vegas help thread. Also, Julia (eloramoon) found some basic Youtube tutorials here that might prove handy.

The main thing I've found is to give yourself the time to play around with it and learn the basic things first, how to import your audio and video, how to get them both on the timeline, how to cut the clips the way you want. Then start working on getting them to hit the beat, how to apply effects and transitions, etc. Then how to render (saving your project in a manner so that it can be uploaded to Youtube or shared with other people) in a way that gives you good quality without being a huge size (one tip, be sure to render into .WMV not .AVI, which is often the default ).

Once you've gotten the hang of all of that, then you're ready to go wherever your imagination can take you! Good luck and feel free to ask about any questions you might have! Happy vidding!
icedmemories

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much to the both of you for the warm welcomes and all of your help! I really appreciate it. I'm going to play around with Vegas now and try to get the hang of it. Hopefully I'll have videos to share with you guys in the future.

And to Belle, I meant the entire scene, but thanks for explaining both of them to me.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: